• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

I don't know what to say about that. It's sad. People were very psyched to get that done. There are lots of things that are getting postponed or canceled that help people. What can they do.

machski

Anything that isn't completely new and "extra" to the current offering almost has to be delayed if what is being redone is critical to ops for the coming season. Just too much unknown risk in construction timelines given the environment we find ourselves in. At least it will still be done for 21-22 and not just shelved indefinitely.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

At least it will still be done for 21-22 and not just shelved indefinitely

MAYBE. If the upcoming ski season shapes up like its looking it might with greatly reduced capacities and impacts on operation, theres going to be coattails from that for the 21-22 season after places operate at a loss or barely break even all winter

WinS

VASS has not completed the capital campaign, so I know they would appreciate any and all new contributions. They have an incredibly generous $1 million match from an anonymous donor. We are proud to support them as well as High Fives and the Kelly Brush Foundation. They all do amazing work.

Hawk

thetrailboss

Staff member
The "Sugarbush Thread"

More bad news in the valley.

https://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php/news/local-news/14639-mad-river-barn-seeks-a-path-forward

Heather rips the governor pretty good. I can't blame her. There is a strong tone in this article about the VT Government that has been expressed many times on here by lots of people.

Does anyone know what is wrong with Andy? The article says he is going through medical treatment and then moving to Florida.

$49 an hour to wait tables?!

And most of her anger was towards the legislature.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
You can average $50/hr as a waiter at high end city restaurant.

In ski country VT? Definitely not. Maybe at a place like Hen of the Wood in Burlington if the server is very skilled at selling wine. Maybe...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

$49 an hour to wait tables?!

And most of her anger was towards the legislature.

Yes you are correct. But the governor for the slow process for reopening and no clear direction on how and when as well as the legislature for installing unfriendly to business policies that are crushing.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You can average $50/hr as a waiter at high end city restaurant.

In ski country VT? Definitely not. Maybe at a place like Hen of the Wood in Burlington if the server is very skilled at selling wine. Maybe...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I didn't believe it either. But the article says:

Brown said that the impact of the political climate in Vermont on their ability to run a successful business was significant. She cited a minimum wage law that increased front-of-the-house hourly wages by 50 percent which means that front-of-the-house workers (receiving tips) are earning an average of $49 an hour which can’t be shared with back-of-the-house employees.

That's crazy. And if it is true, I think this plays a role in the owner's woes.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes you are correct. But the governor for the slow process for reopening and no clear direction on how and when as well as the legislature for installing unfriendly to business policies that are crushing.

As to the Vermont response to COVID: it is what it is. We have multiple pages/threads on the debate as to this. The big issues with Vermont are (a) limited hospital capacity, and (b) older demographic.

As to the legislature: another thing that we have pages upon pages of comments about.

cdskier

I didn't believe it either. But the article says:

That's crazy. And if it is true, I think this plays a role in the owner's woes.

I'm wondering if that is some sort of typo. I read the article and that part raised an eyebrow for me as well. I don't really get what she's referring to though. Unless I'm missing something, VT raised the minimum wage effective Jan 1 to $10.96 for non-tipped employees (from 10.78 previously). The minimum wage for tipped employees raised to half that ($5.48 from a previously rate of 5.39). I don't see where the law is that increased hourly wages by 50% for tipped employees. Maybe it was a few years ago and not something that recent? Because at least for this year, we're talking about a 9 cent an hour increase for those tipped employees (if we assume they were paying only the minimum to begin with). That's a little over a 1.5% increase. Certainly nowhere near 50%.

tumbler

I think that she meant the front of house employees were averaging $49 per hour with tips. The minimum wage went up but it is a bit misleading that they are paying $49 per hour to each employee.

HowieT2

I think that she meant the front of house employees were averaging $49 per hour with tips. The minimum wage went up but it is a bit misleading that they are paying $49 per hour to each employee.

I understand her frustration, but the challenges going forward, imho, are more to do with people not traveling than any government edict. The quarantine, what's left of it, could be lifted tomorrow, and at least judging from the people I speak to, most arent remotely ready to stay at an inn or attend a wedding. NYC is on the cusp of "reopening" legally but that doesnt mean people are going back to their offices right away.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I understand her frustration, but the challenges going forward, imho, are more to do with people not traveling than any government edict. The quarantine, what's left of it, could be lifted tomorrow, and at least judging from the people I speak to, most arent remotely ready to stay at an inn or attend a wedding. NYC is on the cusp of "reopening" legally but that doesnt mean people are going back to their offices right away.

Exactly

Boxtop Willie

Not sure if I agree. Granted this is anecdotal, but I have a home on Lake Champlain that I rent out in the summer. I'm fully booked until mid-September with no discounts. Busiest rental season I've ever had and it filled fast. Calls keep coming in. All are for a month and agree to the guidelines (quarantine, distancing, etc.) Friends with similar situations are also busy and full. Some people are traveling.

jimmywilson69

While not Vermont I just booked a place in the finger lakes for 7/4/11. Pickings were slim being that it was fairly last minute.

Quite frankly I'm looking forward to lake living for a week I need to get away...

mbedle

$49 per hour over the course of the entire year does seem crazy. I do think that some of the confusion is coming from they way minimum wage laws work in Vermont and other states. In Vermont, an employer is required to make sure that tipped employees (front of the house) get the minimum wage though a combination of the base pay and tips. So basically if you pay a tipped employee $5.48, they need to make enough in tips to bring that hourly wage up to $10.96 per hour. When an employer does this, its called taking a tip credit. If the amount the employee makes does not equal out to $10.96 per hour, the employer must pay the difference. However, when doing this, the employees are not allow to pool tips with non tipped employees (i.e., the back of the house employees). That in effect forces the employer to pay back of the house employees the full minimum wage. In order to allow tipped employees to share tips with back of the house employees, all employees must be paid the $10.96 minimum wage.

HowieT2

Not sure if I agree. Granted this is anecdotal, but I have a home on Lake Champlain that I rent out in the summer. I'm fully booked until mid-September with no discounts. Busiest rental season I've ever had and it filled fast. Calls keep coming in. All are for a month and agree to the guidelines (quarantine, distancing, etc.) Friends with similar situations are also busy and full. Some people are traveling.

I hope you’re right.