• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

It is surprising. I was hoping for an under promise over deliver this AM with TTB, but alas. Not sure what's up and surprised by the no snowmaking....

Any inside info as to what's happening?

cdskier

I'm extremely surprised as well that it says nothing about snowmaking. Temps up high are still excellent even if they don't want to blow down low in marginal temps. And LP and ME are two completely separate systems, so even if there was an issue with one system they should be running the other. I know in the past at times GMP asked them to curtail power and stop snowmaking, but usually SB mentions that in their report in that situation so people know why they shut down snowmaking.

I'm not surprised they aren't TTB. The runout below HG takes more snow than people think. But I am surprised there seems to have been no attempt overnight to even make snow in the base area to get started.

noworriesvt

Was on the hill today and was told by lift ops they can't get water up the hill. Unclear exactly where the problem is but explains why no snowmaking. Appears they only made a small amount of snow on lower DS/Coffee Run, they have a fair ways to go before getting that open.

Snow was firm early on, then softened a bit thru mid morning with skier traffic.

teleo

Was on the hill today and was told by lift ops they can't get water up the hill.

We'll that would explain it. But is very bad news😮😔😭 Now I'm scared to think about the weekend if we don't see snow being made soon.

cdskier

Was on the hill today and was told by lift ops they can't get water up the hill. Unclear exactly where the problem is but explains why no snowmaking.

Ouch...that's not good but definitely explains it. Hope they can identify and fix the problem soon. Pretty sure no guns were visible going in the HG webcam at this time yesterday. If they were having problems by that point, that means they've now lost over 24 hours of a good snowmaking window. Early season that hurts.

Well that explains it. Seemed strange they weren't giving the patrons a TTB via lower downspout etc. SB has always been transparent and appreciated by all.

WWF-VT

Skiing was good today but it was colder than expected. Ski patrol boot packed Spillsville and I saw of couple of poached lines down Ripcord but it still needs a lot more snow to open.

FWIW there is snowmaking happening at Mt Ellen - guns are on at the base area of the GMX and Rim Run but at Lincoln Peak you can't make snow without H20.

cdskier

FWIW there is snowmaking happening at Mt Ellen - guns are on at the base area of the GMX and Rim Run but at Lincoln Peak you can't make snow without H20.

Temps are going to be quite good tonight even down to the base...a real shame they're having problems with the water at LP. If I was SB, I'd at least put the ME snowmaking info on the website although maybe that would also raise more questions on why ME has snowmaking but LP doesn't.

Castlerockrisk

The skiing was excelent yesterday, there was a glaze of ice in the morning that softened up nicely. Edge to edge coverage on all open runs. A little crusty elsewhere but fun. The rumour about the water is waterflow on the madriver. The pond is reportedly tapped out for now- due to drought. Lets prey for the natural to keep falling. Snowing pretty hard now- happy thanksgiving.

phin

The skiing was excelent yesterday, there was a glaze of ice in the morning that softened up nicely. Edge to edge coverage on all open runs. A little crusty elsewhere but fun. The rumour about the water is waterflow on the madriver. The pond is reportedly tapped out for now- due to drought. Lets prey for the natural to keep falling. Snowing pretty hard now- happy thanksgiving.

Wow, well that's not positive. Thanks for the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teleo

Yikes. That sounds horrible. Pray for snow!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

djd66

Wow - if they don't have water for snowmaking,... we are all fuc'd. I really hope that is a bad rumor. I just spent $4K++++ in season passes, blazers, gmvs, ski gear,......

tumbler

I have a hard time believing they drained the pond with 3 days of snowmaking. They can take water from the river proportional to the flow and the drought is no where near as bad as it is in MA. They are still blowing at ME and it is fed from a brook down by the School. My bet is that it is something mechanical. Either way not good at all. I also have a lot of $$$ invested in passes, housing, etc.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The "Sugarbush Thread"

It's been five years since I was an SB passholder, but am :( that they STILL have snowmaking problems. Something is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

phin

Anyone know any more about what's up w/ snowmaking at south? Been watching the trail report and still not seeing any snowmaking activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbedle

I'm going to guess that the warm weather is partially to blame. It looks like Stowe is not blowing any snow until later today.

Tin

Organgrinder, Ripcord, Jester, Deathspout could/should be the best early season offering in New England with a ton of vert and challenging terrain but they always seem to have something go wrong.

Wasn't it a few years ago they blasted Heaven's Gate with a snowmaking gun and it shut the chair down for a busy, early season weekend?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Organgrinder, Ripcord, Jester, Deathspout could/should be the best early season offering in New England with a ton of vert and challenging terrain but they always seem to have something go wrong.

Wasn't it a few years ago they blasted Heaven's Gate with a snowmaking gun and it shut the chair down for a busy, early season weekend?

This. They used to have game. Now it is just status quo.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone