• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

It sounds like you scoped it out and know the answer already. Either way it should not affect you. Just cut around the lift and access the trail. Don't let silly rules get in your way. LOL

cdskier

If you mean "will not change trail openings or closings" I am curious as to how that happens with a T-bar running? I presume skiers dodging running T's is not the answer.

I'm more interested in the plan for the exit vs the entrance. I think there's enough room along side the proposed T Bar for the entrance to Semi-Tough. Looking at the various documents and drawings, the T seems to cross right over the exit for Semi-Tough (which is also the exit for Walt's). In the drawings it didn't look like there was much room to squeeze around the lift shack and lower terminal.

1dog

And we can still dream of opening up vertical above Inverness - south facing I know, but trees left everywhere shade snow cover - and Ext Woods have some of the best terrain up there. You gotta admit, as much as the unseen improvements are all needed and appreciated, some new terrain would be just great for all. Snow flies in 2 months.

1dog

No need to fix what ain't broken.....go ski Slidebrook.

Slidebrook - I'm a little bored with SB and the bus lines frankly - and then there are the bus lines - because it's now a regular trail network without a lift.

And did I mention bus lines?

great terrain coming in from Rim Run too. . . . .but then there are bus lines. . . . .

1dog

There is so much terrain at the Bush there really is no need to expand.

You're actually correct on that statement - but 37 years later - I'm being a selfish-need-gratification-American.

Still love to hike to stuff where ' if we take you, we're gonna have to kill you' terrain, but hasn't it been a long time since any new terrain - sans santified woods- were open?

I skied a few NH mountains on a trip to a friends place and discovered all these woods and lifts that weren't there years ago - granted - I'm a VT snow-snob who knows we get better and more copious snow than any other NE area. ( Don't tell me Jay - they have nice woods that are lift-serviced- but it ain't da 'Bush)

Just recall as a 5 or 10 year skier the excitement and anticipation of any new terrain that was announced in the late 80's early 90's. Drew lots of interest. And yeah, I get it, don't come here - its ours - I do undertand that.

lets hope Epic/Ikon/MC users go elsewhere more often. . . . .

The fall anticipation never wanes for skiers who love the woods and the snow, does it?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Definitely hear you on how exciting all the development during the 80s and 90s was.

Only thing major in recent years has been Mittersill at Cannon, South Peak at Loon and Green Peak at Waterville. Suppose Cascade Basin at Pat's as well.

Would be nice to see a bit more of that.

Maybe we get Sunapee West soon or Pinnacle at Ragged.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Definitely hear you on how exciting all the development during the 80s and 90s was.

Only thing major in recent years has been Mittersill at Cannon, South Peak at Loon and Green Peak at Waterville. Suppose Cascade Basin at Pat's as well.

Would be nice to see a bit more of that.

Maybe we get Sunapee West soon or Pinnacle at Ragged.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

All ok examples but, imo, the last time a mountain truly went BIG was Okemo's Jackson Gore in the mid 00s. 2 hsq's, new base lodge, and a crapload of buildings, parking lots, and support infrastructure.

1dog

All ok examples but, imo, the last time a mountain truly went BIG was Okemo's Jackson Gore in the mid 00s. 2 hsq's, new base lodge, and a crapload of buildings, parking lots, and support infrastructure.

Oh please - not that - while we all like to spend SV's cash, other than a large mid-mountain lodge say - at the junction of SB/NL/GH lifts - and maybe a refurbed Mellen lodge, just a $5M lift serving some terrain that is higher up, shaded, but east/southeast facing ( think CR like) we don't need a whole separate area.

I like the old Mt Ellen lodge - the deck is great - the 60's feel still there, but there's a crowd now, who doesn't care about past glories and expects/wants shiny and new - think there was a song about them in the late 80's ' Shiny Happy People'.

But since we're on the subject - Allyns is just too small for a large area - same with Walts. I know they have plans. . . . . . patience pays off . . . . .

STREETSKIER

Tons of new terrain try the backside for fresh lines no waiting for bus. Just leave a car over there go get it or ski bumps in slide I would like to do tacos at the bus stop and maybe lattes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk

The back side is no joke if you do not know where you are going and do not have the right back county gear. There are cliffs, gullys, large thickets of dense trees and in some places as much as a mile of flat terrain before you hit a road. Do not send people out there.

1dog

The back side is no joke if you do not know where you are going and do not have the right back county gear. There are cliffs, gullys, large thickets of dense trees and in some places as much as a mile of flat terrain before you hit a road. Do not send people out there.

Hawk is correct - been there a few times, got lost a couple - Jerusalem is not a straight-forward , easy-to-navigate route.

Best kept to experienced folks and those who aren't - find someone who knows to take/guide you.

As the ol K-Mart signs used to say ' these mountains are as cold and lonely as they were 200 years ago - do not ski alone.'

STREETSKIER

Sounds killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbominableSnowman

Haven't heard a peep from the Sugarbush folks about the bees' nests this year; are they building them low on the towers, high on the towers, or are they building them up in Stowe, where they can get a higher rate-of-return when they rent them out over the winter?:snow:

The fear is that if the marketing staff doesn't mention the nests, they aren't high [the nests aren't high, that is - no idea about the marketing staff:-D)

Hawk

I don't know about bee's nests but if apples are any indication of how severe the winter will be then we are in business. Lots of apple up in the valley.

One thing that was troubling to me is the rumors I have been hearing. I'm not sure if anybody else heard them and I am not going to say anything here and now because at this point it is just a rumor. But if they are true then there is going to be some unhappy people.

skiur

I don't know about bee's nests but if apples are any indication of how severe the winter will be then we are in business. Lots of apple up in the valley.

One thing that was troubling to me is the rumors I have been hearing. I'm not sure if anybody else heard them and I am not going to say anything here and now because at this point it is just a rumor. But if they are true then there is going to be some unhappy people.

This is the internet, start the speculation!!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Fan guns and a high-speed six on Castlerock. You heard it here first folks.