• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

yeah, you'll probably end up with the crowd inversion factor on Holiday Weekends like the big places out west. Some relatives that go to Stratton report the same. The random saturday in january after a good snow week is busier than mlk sat.

SB was like that President's Day weekend, empty on blackout Sat & Sun.

WinS

Thanks for the detailed reply I didn’t feel like typing.

Honestly was a bit surprised at the tone of win’s response. I don’t think my comment was rude or unreasonable, and I do think my comment holds a lot of truth. And I love sugarbush, ski there regularly, but it’s an issue when my SO comes along for the weekend. And even if we base at Mount Ellen, the girlfriend skis for 2 hours max and then is a fixture in the lodge til I’m done, and mount Ellen isn’t a comfortable place for her to hang due to the crowded old lodge full of racer kids. I know that part is being fixed with the lodge upgrade

Sorry if it came across that way. It was not meant to. It is a fact that as a percentage we have less beginner terrain than many, but many beginners can progress here despite that. As someone who began late in life it took me awhile to realize I needed some coaching from a pro rather than trying to do it all alone.

WinS

I'm not surprised by unlimited on full and definitely expected that. I am surprised by unlimited (with blackouts) on base though. That's the part that concerns me a bit more...we'll see what happens.

Most Ikon do not use their full 5 or 7 days other than when it is their home mountain, so I am not concerned about going to unlimited. Obviously, we will see. As all of you know, when we are 100% open with 16 lifts running and good wood skiing, you all know where to go. The Holidays will be busy when there are good conditions and the beginner and intermediate trails will be the busiest.

One of my best friends (in her late 30's) started skiing two years ago. She did the learn-to-ski package at Sugarbush (and got her free pair of skis, which was awesome). She found Mascara Mountain challenging, partially because of the limited amount of green terrain, and partially because of all the people apparently passing her within inches (someone actually hit her this past weekend on Birch and didn't even stop / in any way acknowledge what had happened). So, we spent a good deal of last year and the earlier part of this year at Ellen, with some side trips to Bolton (which she loves) on holiday weekends. She's practiced a lot and has now come pack to LP, doing all the fun blues (Jester, Spring Fling, Birch) and even a (groomed) black or two. To summarize her experience, LP is *not* easiest mountain to learn at, and if it was the only option, I don't know how far this little experiment would have gone. But the learn to ski program really helped (with the exception of one really awful instructor), as did Mt Ellen.

cdskier

Most Ikon do not use their full 5 or 7 days other than when it is their home mountain, so I am not concerned about going to unlimited. Obviously, we will see. As all of you know, when we are 100% open with 16 lifts running and good wood skiing, you all know where to go. The Holidays will be busy when there are good conditions and the beginner and intermediate trails will be the busiest.

Can't say whether I speak for anyone else that is concerned, but at least from my perspective I'm wondering if MORE people will choose Ikon in general because SB is unlimited even on base. I'm less concerned about increased usage from existing Ikon holders that weren't using all their days anyway. A $700 "unlimited" SB pass could be a big draw for additional Ikon base users.

Also, I've been doing an informal little survey on lift rides this season about where people are visiting from and if they are using the Ikon pass etc. I had a chat with someone going up Castlerock chair last weekend that kinda summed up the positive side of all of this (and was representative of a lot of people I talked to). It was a guy who used to ski a lot years ago but then had given it up for a while. But last year he was living in Denver for a while and had an Epic pass, and this year he was doing Ikon. He'd done a seasonal rental of skis for the first time, was really seeing his skiing improve, and was really enjoying the ability to explore around at different places, which being on Ikon or Epic really helped. It was his second ride up Castlerock ever, on his third visit to SB. I'm as anxious about crowding as anyone else (actually, no I'm not. With the money I'm saving from old SB season passes I can just go to Bolton or the Snowbowl or bc off the Lincoln Gap on the really crowded days), but if this guy and the many others I've talked to are not the kind of person you would want to see growing the skier base, I don't who is.

Greg

Staff member
Win - is the Quad Pack still going to be offered next year?

Hawk

Can't say whether I speak for anyone else that is concerned, but at least from my perspective I'm wondering if MORE people will choose Ikon in general because SB is unlimited even on base. I'm less concerned about increased usage from existing Ikon holders that weren't using all their days anyway. A $700 "unlimited" SB pass could be a big draw for additional Ikon base users.

The $700 has the blackout days. It's $899 as a refresh price on a full pass.
https://www.ikonpass.com/en/shop-passes

1dog

Last two weekends - holiday bookends - were not even as bad a regular Saturdays.

'Win' isn't doing anything. . . . . its free markets and capital. We will see some of it as good - a new mid mountain lodge and more snow making, maybe lift upgrades or even new ones. We will see some of it as terrible - NIMBY - because we already passed the beginner stage - to Kustys point - but change is inevitable. And mostly good.

In his waning days of CEO he's gonna expand the shareholders value as much as possible. Isn't all except the top 1000' not NF and privately owned so expansion of trails shouldn't be the regulatory issue it is with the feds?

Crowds - well they haven't been a huge issue except Saturday Sunday mornings - and now they may be more consistent.

But we also have chances to spend time at other areas 'free'. A basin if you like steeps and trees, Buttermilk if you like to cruise ( Ikon includes free flights and accommodations similar to what we have in MRV - cause we deserve it - we're Americans) and a boatload of other areas - heck, dollar stays strong I might consider a romantic weekend in Tremblant with my 4-6 day a year skier wife ( my other one pounds Liftline 6 x a day)

1dog

Consider we paid $1100-$1400 for a season pass back in the 90's I think?

I'm done with it all now, but one main reason I was a regular here was kids under 6 free and under 13 free w season pass - all thats gone now I think. . . . . . and Blazer program is not cheap - and my youngest - only one of 5 to use it - loves it.

Change.

Try stopping it.

Whitey

^this. my girlfriend is a true beginner and not very likely to ever progress to intermediate. the one time she skied at Lincoln peak she experienced icy pushover, with zipping park kids, and she fell a few times and she yelled and cursed at me, and now she won’t ski at Lincoln Peak. There really is nothing there for the beginner who has progressed just a little past the bunny slopes.

I think we are all missing the real controversy here. That Kusty would date someone who is a beginner skier. I would have assumed that "can ski" would have been qualification # 2 on Kusty's new girlfriend checklist. Right behind qualification #1; "has a vagina and a pulse"

TSQURD

Win - What are the chances current Sugarbush pass holders would be able get the IKON renewal discount since we are new to their ecosystem?

Win - What are the chances current Sugarbush pass holders would be able get the IKON renewal discount since we are new to their ecosystem?

I second this question! I actually think it would be a really nice gesture, especially for those of us who are losing the For30's pass.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Win the FAQ site might need a little, um, polishing. : https://www.sugarbush.com/plan/season-passes/pass-options-faqs/

"Q: I’m in my thirty’s and I don’t see a For30’s pass, what pass is best for me?

A: Product went away. They will need to buy Ikon or Ikon Base. Need to say this delicately, more options and value for them to travel and explore with Ikon."

OMG that's hysterical. When the rough draft gets posted online without the "spin" first removed. LOL

KustyTheKlown

I think we are all missing the real controversy here. That Kusty would date someone who is a beginner skier. I would have assumed that "can ski" would have been qualification # 2 on Kusty's new girlfriend checklist. Right behind qualification #1; "has a vagina and a pulse"

In the nyc dating market I’d be quite single.

My only qualification is “can handle the fact that I ski every weekend and work vacation”

That she used to be an avid surfer who would travel to places like Hawaii and the Philippines to surf helps, since she “gets it”

BenedictGomez

Another oopsie:

Q: Is Sugarbush still part of the Mountain Collective?

A: Yes. (discuss the product not the 50% off benefit)