• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

So what are the capital plans for the summer? I recall something about the top of Sleeper and snowmaking on road around the chute. Anything else?

WinS

Isn’t there pipe work required on Ripcord?

We are finalizing the capital plans now. Nothing very glamourous and visible but lots of items to keep everything functioning well on and of the mountain. Ripcord was repaired. Yes, we are adding snowmaking to Sleeper Road so we can groom it regularly and one can avoid Sleeper Chutes. We are also putting the power lines that run from the base area to Heaven's Gate underground. With the volatility of the weather and snowmaking on Lower Downspout exposed power lines are risky. Losing them would cut off power for snowmaking up there and the power to run HG and CR lifts. This is an example of something not very glamorous or visible but important and not inexpensive. One visible project which is already underway is a redo of the courtyard. We are putting cobblestone down in place of the cement, adding more outdoor seating and putting in two fire pits. It is going to look really nice for all seasons. We are also permitting some additional and necessary employee housing which is going to be a multi-year effort. If total we will be investing at least $3 million in improvements this summer.

tumbler

Wow, burying those power lines is a huge expense, that's all 3 phase.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Wow, burying those power lines is a huge expense, that's all 3 phase.

THAT is impressive! It was one of my biggest fears during snowmaking, hitting those lines, and making sure I trained everyone else to know where they were, what they do, the dangers of hitting them on a Saturday morning, etc. Luckily we only had to worry about them from HG down to CR cutoff, and again down by the maintenance shop.

HowieT2

We are finalizing the capital plans now. Nothing very glamourous and visible but lots of items to keep everything functioning well on and of the mountain. Ripcord was repaired. Yes, we are adding snowmaking to Sleeper Road so we can groom it regularly and one can avoid Sleeper Chutes. We are also putting the power lines that run from the base area to Heaven's Gate underground. With the volatility of the weather and snowmaking on Lower Downspout exposed power lines are risky. Losing them would cut off power for snowmaking up there and the power to run HG and CR lifts. This is an example of something not very glamorous or visible but important and not inexpensive. One visible project which is already underway is a redo of the courtyard. We are putting cobblestone down in place of the cement, adding more outdoor seating and putting in two fire pits. It is going to look really nice for all seasons. We are also permitting some additional and necessary employee housing which is going to be a multi-year effort. If total we will be investing at least $3 million in improvements this summer.

yay to the cobblestone and fire pits. that concrete could be slippery at times.

WinS

Thanks for that update Win. What is happening with the Glen House deck?

Staying as is until we decide what to do with the Glen House. Expand and rebuild? Tear down and build new? Or more to another location?

WinS

THAT is impressive! It was one of my biggest fears during snowmaking, hitting those lines, and making sure I trained everyone else to know where they were, what they do, the dangers of hitting them on a Saturday morning, etc. Luckily we only had to worry about them from HG down to CR cutoff, and again down by the maintenance shop.

Does this mean you are coming back next winter? We miss you!

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Does this mean you are coming back next winter? We miss you!

Thanks Win, I miss everyone too. I do get a week off after New Years, so I could make an appearance to help out that week, though hopefully by then, we'd be off Downspout!

I can't come back for the entire winter, though. It does feel weird to say I only rode twice this season, when I've been getting 70-90 days of riding in for the past 10 years.

Hawk

fwiw-I like the glen house just where it is. dont think the view up the mtn could be duplicated elsewhere.
Not that I want it to move, but if they did don't you think just across from the bottom of FIS next to looking good would be awesome? A big deck looking up FIS and Back diamond would be a fine alternative.
I think the question of how the decision will be made is an odd question. I mean it is Win's mountain and Ellen is mostly not on public land. He decides what he wants and does it. That is how the decision gets made. I would hope he ignores all the winey Mellon heads when the bitch about how things used to be. HA HA