• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

The food & service at the Common Man before Adam & Lorien was always top notch. So what came first, the decision to change the use of the property, or the decision to not reopen the restaurant?

Well they were trying to sell the business since winter 2016.

So my take is the decision to change the use of the property was after the business itself wasn't selling and Adam and Lorien said they were done.

Technically according to the last article in the Valley Reporter the building itself wasn't owned by Adam and Lorien. The couple that did own it were supposedly business partners with them though, but not sure exactly how that partnership was structured and who had the money and was making the decisions.

Hawk

big fan of fit t b thaid.
I disagree about the burger situation. while its true u can get a burger anywhere, there really is a limited selection of places for reasonably priced bar food. CR pub closes before dinner. mad river barn is impossible to get into. I like dinos place in sb village but that's really it.
I have to go to too many fancy/expensive restaurants in my real world to have much of a desire for that up in the mrv.
As far as diversity, I'd like to see a sushi place and vietnamese.
Hyde away served inexpensive bar food and has good burgers.

cdskier

Yes, saw that article, and was wondering if someone had the scoop.

I'm curious too. I'm not particularly surprised they had no interest when trying to sell it though. The business was for sale for $195K plus $5K/month lease. I wish I could remember how much it was if you wanted to outright buy the whole building. I remember thinking the number was pretty crazy. I'm tempted to say close to $1M. In 2011 they paid a little under $600K for it. I'm guessing they tried to justify the price based on all the upgrades and brand new equipment they had put in the kitchen.

ThinkSnow

I'm curious too. I'm not particularly surprised they had no interest when trying to sell it though. The business was for sale for $195K plus $5K/month lease. I wish I could remember how much it was if you wanted to outright buy the whole building. I remember thinking the number was pretty crazy. I'm tempted to say close to $1M. In 2011 they paid a little under $600K for it. I'm guessing they tried to justify the price based on all the upgrades and brand new equipment they had put in the kitchen.

Its just a shame to see it go. Celebrated my sister's 40th birthday there years ago, and had the entire barn singing happy birthday to her.

cdskier

Its just a shame to see it go. Celebrated my sister's 40th birthday there years ago, and had the entire barn singing happy birthday to her.

Agreed. It was a really beautiful building with a unique vibe.

ThinkSnow

I heard as well that Adam will be taking over there as chef when I was up in the valley this weekend. On a related note, I still can't believe Common Man is becoming condos. That was such a beautiful building for a restaurant, although I can see why it is tough to have a successful restaurant in the non-winter in that location.
So what does that mean for the Pitcher Inn's other chef, newly brought on in June 2018?

https://www.pitcherinn.com/news/updates-to-our-dining-experience-pitcher-inn/

cdskier

teleo

Anyone else get a bunch of duplicate emails from sugarbush with subject of "We're glad to have you as part of our community"? I've been getting almost every day for over a week now.

1dog

Anyone else get a bunch of duplicate emails from sugarbush with subject of "We're glad to have you as part of our community"? I've been getting almost every day for over a week now.

Got 2 in past week - only thing I've done outside the ordinary is post openings for our ski house. The posts have nothing to do with that subject, just like we're new here. But we're not. . .

cdskier

Hmm...nope. I get Sugarbush e-mails on 3 different e-mail accounts and didn't get that one on any of them recently. I received one with that subject back in March on the one e-mail account associated with my Sugarbush online account that I used to purchase my season pass. That's it though.

HowieT2

updates from my week in Warren.
Mad burger is not taking over the purple moon/shepards pub location. They are staying at hostel tavere. went there and it was excellent. Both food and the vibe.
pitcher inn is in transition mode while the new regime takes over. only open weekends.
Paradise is upgraded with a glass wall although I didnt have a chance to go in.
construction going on at the old common man building.

Los

off topic - I'm thinking about either volunteering or working at Sugarbush this season to help defray costs. If there's anyone who's done either and would be willing to PM me, I'd really appreciate it. Just have a couple questions... Thanks in advance!

ducky

New breakfast place Toast and Eggs opened today at the old Pizza in the Valley. You've all been asking for a breakfast place - here it is. Best of luck to the owners. I believe the hours are 7-2.

cdskier

New breakfast place Toast and Eggs opened today at the old Pizza in the Valley. You've all been asking for a breakfast place - here it is. Best of luck to the owners. I believe the hours are 7-2.

Of course a week after I'm up there! Based on what I saw last weekend, colors should be getting pretty close to near peak this coming one.

DSC_0705.jpg
DSC_0806.jpg
DSC_0837.jpg
DSC_0874.jpg
DSC_0900.jpg

dustyroads

Groomers

Win,
The groomers looked great lined up in the parking lot. You should keep them there all next summer.

Hawk

What is the old Pizza in the valley? Or Where is that?