• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

MorningWoods

Under quarantine in westchester. Looking like this corona thing will Be the end of my ski season. Not happy about that.

my 2 cents on this whole mt Ellen lodge issue.
in addition to being a sugarbush fan boy, I’m also a huge yankee baseball fan. Furthermore I worked predominately at the courthouse by the stadium for almost 30 years. I was a season ticket holder at the old yankee stadium from ‘96 through ‘07. Id go to games during lunch. I barely missed any of the playoff/ws games those years and there were many (good times). You’d be hard pressed to find more than a handful of people who went to more games the last decade of the old stadium.
I know, the old stadium, as beloved as it was, absolutely had to be replaced. It was getting to the point where it was not structurally sound. The corridors were dangerously narrow making exiting difficult on a good day. If there was an incident there, it would have been a death trap.when they built the new stadium, there were many critical of its design. Many, especially old timers, hated the new stadium, too many corporate seats, didn’t have the same charm, blah blah blah. I had my own issues with it. The level of complaining about the new stadium rose when the team was old boring and non competitive. As soon as the team got good 3 years ago, the complaining about the new stadium stopped.

the mt Ellen base lodge is a classic. Everybody loves it. It has charm. If it were ever to be replaced, everyone would be nostalgic for the old lodge. But it’s also too small. The bathroom and kitchen facilities are inadequate today and certainly not able to accommodate increased traffic in the future. The inside stairwell from the first to second floor is hazardous. Has anyone taken a dive on that thing yet?It’s not handicapped accessible (although the vt adaptive addition would address this). I can’t speak to the structural integrity of the building, but I’d imagine that a wood framed building Which is almost 60 years old must have some issues.
when the time comes to replace the old building, there will be plenty of bitching and moaning about the new one. There will be a long period of mourning. But in the end, we all go there for the skiing. as long as ullr blesses us with some pow, and the god damned north ridge is running, we’ll be in the new lodge, making new memories, telling stories about the great old lodge.

Good post. I’ll miss the GML, nothing else. As I’m sure anything in it’s place could only be a massive improvement.

Curious, I know mt Ellen base was not in the near term plans. A new walts and mid mountain GH is. But GH is already kind of a shit show 9-2. Won’t putting a lodge at the top of GH make that whole situation worse and actually make it more of an issue to get over to north when SB is running? I already give up on it on Saturdays after taking one look at that gatehouse madness. Why not do North first and spread the volume a little more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slidebrook87

Good post. I’ll miss the GML, nothing else. As I’m sure anything in it’s place could only be a massive improvement.

Curious, I know mt Ellen base was not in the near term plans. A new walts and mid mountain GH is. But GH is already kind of a shit show 9-2. Won’t putting a lodge at the top of GH make that whole situation worse and actually make it more of an issue to get over to north when SB is running? I already give up on it on Saturdays after taking one look at that gatehouse madness. Why not do North first and spread the volume a little more?

I agree with this. Either a new GH six pack or a new Ellen lodge would be needed to help spread out crowds and make these mid mountain lodges functional.

Slidebrook87

Any reason why the Lincoln lifts are opening at 9:00 today? No more early ups?

Slidebrook87

seriously. must you ask these questions every single day even when the answer is painfully fucking obvious?

You know what? It’s not obvious. When it rains I obviously expect it to be soft but that isn’t always the case. At the end of April last year it rained and stayed above freezing yet everything was a complete sheet of ice. I have a photo from that day too.
5596bfab279a70085eac7e3310752de5.jpg

Hawk

You know what? It’s not obvious. When it rains I obviously expect it to be soft but that isn’t always the case. At the end of April last year it rained and stayed above freezing yet everything was a complete sheet of ice. I have a photo from that day too.
5596bfab279a70085eac7e3310752de5.jpg

Slidebrook, here is spring/rain lesson 101. Snow Rule #1 - natural snow is generally a softer and is more pliable and manageable substance than Machine made snow. When it is created the density is lighter because it is made of smaller crystals that have a lighter and different structure from the man made crystals. Generally on most trails that are remaining, there is a large very hard man made base underneath the overall depth of the snow pack. In spring the rains come and melt from the top down. Once all the natural is melted out we are left with a glacier of that hard icey base. So even when it is warm, all the soft snow melts off and you get what we have on days like yesterday on some trails.

Slidebrook87

Slidebrook, here is spring/rain lesson 101. Snow Rule #1 - natural snow is generally a softer and is more pliable and manageable substance than Machine made snow. When it is created the density is lighter because it is made of smaller crystals that have a lighter and different structure from the man made crystals. Generally on most trails that are remaining, there is a large very hard man made base underneath the overall depth of the snow pack. In spring the rains come and melt from the top down. Once all the natural is melted out we are left with a glacier of that hard icey base. So even when it is warm, all the soft snow melts off and you get what we have on days like yesterday on some trails.

Interesting. I heard they were refunding people that day because of how poor the conditions were. That was the one day in my life where I would rather not ski than ski.

Orca

FYI, Sugarbush pass holders can purchase Ikon passes on or before April 21 with a renewal discount. You were emailed a discount code on March 5 in case you are having trouble finding it in your inbox.

WinS

Any reason why the Lincoln lifts are opening at 9:00 today? No more early ups?

It was a snow reporting error. Forgot to change from midweek to weekend. Sorry about that.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I have decided to not come up this coming week. With uncertainty with my own job at the present time, I need to work for as long as I can, as my job is the mechanical side of the entertainment/resort industry, and not exactly "take home". This will most likely mean the first winter season since c 1992 that I have not been on snow. I wanted to come up to Sugarbush really bad and socialize with friends and my mountain folk but those activities are virtually non-existent at the present. I was looking forward to a $30 Thursday Apres party with music and reminiscing at GML and cruising down some of my favorite trails. I was ready to accept the fact that it was probably just going to be groomers. But, oh well. Things happen. We will make it through this hiccup and live to shred another day!

Slidebrook87

So that’s a wrap for the season... It’s a shame.

TSQURD

Looks like a copy paste issue:

Alterra Mountain Company owned destinations are Steamboat and Winter Park in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton and Sugarbush Resort in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Crystal Mountain in Washington; Deer Valley Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia (CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures will continue to operate through Tuesday, March 17th).

Alterra Mountain Company owned destinations are Steamboat and Winter Park in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton and Sugarbush Resort in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Crystal Mountain in Washington; Deer Valley Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia.

Each resort will work directly with guests in canceling their visit and will provide refunds to those who have hotel and other bookings during this closure period. We anticipate heavy call volume over the next several days and appreciate guests’ patience as we work hard to respond to all inquiries.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this short notice will undoubtedly create. We look forward to welcoming you back to your mountains as circumstances improve.

Rusty Gregory

Chief Executive Officer

Alterra Mountain Company

Keelhauled

Looks like a copy paste issue:

Yeah someone cut off the first couple paragraphs that said, more or less, "you ain't skiing." They were there fifteen minutes ago. Probably they're trying to draft new language.

TSQURD

The summary on the press release page clearly says tomorrow, but the actual press release is screwed upEDE01751-4BBD-40CF-A27F-18D39BAA188E.jpg

ktrerotola

Hey guys just got intel from a trusted ski industry source - they’re working on details, this was reactionary. (But also a copy-and-paste issue it appears)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone