• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

1dog

Sorry just saw the following post.

This is just in:

Gov. Scott rolled back restrictions on the hospitality industry today. Bars/restaurants are allowed indoor service w restrictions. Hotel/lodges are allowed to operate @ full capacity. The updated travel map def has some more green on it compared to last week .

1dog

Any Blazer parents on this string who are trying to figure out alternatives to kids program being cancelled? From what I understand the mountain is looking at semi private alternatives.

We have a 10 yr old hoping to ski with some semblance of his group this winter.

Boxtop Willie

From what I hear from the inside, the Ski and Ride School is looking at forming "recurring semi-private" group lessons. The school won't form groups, but if a pre-formed group (i.e. a Blazers group) approaches the school they'll set it up. Odds are you can request and get your coach from last year. Things still feel a little "dynamic" but they seem rather confident that some sort of Blazer-like program will form that passes all the Governor's COVID requirements

smac75

From what I hear from the inside, the Ski and Ride School is looking at forming "recurring semi-private" group lessons. The school won't form groups, but if a pre-formed group (i.e. a Blazers group) approaches the school they'll set it up. Odds are you can request and get your coach from last year. Things still feel a little "dynamic" but they seem rather confident that some sort of Blazer-like program will form that passes all the Governor's COVID requirements

Thanks, this sounds encouraging!

djd66

Given how conservative the state of VT has been, I am very surprised to hear that the MTN will be offering a "work-around" so they can essentially run blazers.

HowieT2

f the 'rona. I just ordered a new touring setup just in case things go south with the chairlifts.

Hawk

That guy is a little off base. There are tons of people that have relocated to there place in VT and have been living there for months. There are still people coming up now that quarantine and plan to stay for the winter. All well within the rules because they quarneteened for 14 before going out in public. In my building alone there are 4 families that have relocated. So seeing non-green plates and saying they are weekenders breaking the rules is a sterotype and shows complete ignorance.

Personally, I think I should get a tax break from VT if I am not allowed to come up but that is just me. ;-)

cdskier

Agree on all counts Hawk... :-D

I very much don't like the attitude that just because someone has a non-green plate automatically means they must be breaking the rules.

deckrdshaw

I've seen plans to replace the Valley House double with a high speed quad while extending the base terminal downhill to where the rental shop has been. Clearly the goal is to increase the out of base lift capacity so that the Super Bravo and Gate House quads aren't overwhelmed as they usually are on busy weekend/holiday mornings. But this plan concerns me for two reasons. First, the current intersection with the Valley House traverse and the top terminal of the VH lift is a disaster. The traverse gets scraped down to bare ice by 10:30AM and I see multiple collisions and near misses every day I'm there. Aren't you concerned that a quad would exacerbate this problem? Second, the trails in that pod are already quite heavily used, especially Spring Fling and Snowball/Racers Edge. Why would you want to double lift capacity for a pod with two crowded snowmaking trails, and four expert/upper intermediate natural trails that can't handle many more skiers as it is? Throw in the fact that half of Spring Fling is often closed and you really are setting yourselves up for a diminution of the skiing experience. Lift lines are, by and large, not a big problem at SB.

djd66

I've seen plans to replace the Valley House double with a high speed quad while extending the base terminal downhill to where the rental shop has been. Clearly the goal is to increase the out of base lift capacity so that the Super Bravo and Gate House quads aren't overwhelmed as they usually are on busy weekend/holiday mornings. But this plan concerns me for two reasons. First, the current intersection with the Valley House traverse and the top terminal of the VH lift is a disaster. The traverse gets scraped down to bare ice by 10:30AM and I see multiple collisions and near misses every day I'm there. Aren't you concerned that a quad would exacerbate this problem? Second, the trails in that pod are already quite heavily used, especially Spring Fling and Snowball/Racers Edge. Why would you want to double lift capacity for a pod with two crowded snowmaking trails, and four expert/upper intermediate natural trails that can't handle many more skiers as it is? Throw in the fact that half of Spring Fling is often closed and you really are setting yourselves up for a diminution of the skiing experience. Lift lines are, by and large, not a big problem at SB.

Have you been asleep for the past few years? This lift has already been replaced,... and btw - it works great.

cdskier

Have you been asleep for the past few years? This lift has already been replaced,... and btw - it works great.

LOL. I was literally wondering the same thing. The new lift is great. The redesigned VH traverse merge is great. The loading terminal being lower down the mountain is great. Really odd first post on the forum for sure!