• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Slidebrook87

For quite a while I've been searching for footage/remaining parts of the North Ridge Double. It is kind of a "mystery lift" in that it it only lasted 14 years and was never relocated. It was built new by Poma and from what I can tell used their "Delta" drive model. The chairs were relocated to Village in 1995 when the lift was removed. You would think that the lift would be in good enough condition to relocate, but I guess it never happened. I have been looking for photos for quite a while and I think I found some. I have a picture of part of the drive as well as the lifting frames. North Ridge Double .jpg Northridgedouble.jpg

If anyone has more information/pictures on this lift please post it in this thread or private message me.
Thanks.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I rode the old North Ridge once.... way back around 1991/92. My cousin and I looked at (the original) GMX and saw the chairs flying up the hill and opted for a slower lift. I couldn't understand how to get on it at that speed, so we took the Inverness to North Ridge. Only things I remember about North Ridge were the slow ride, and the chairs coming down being at a much higher elevation than those going uphill, similar to the GMVS Poma setup. Never realized that the old Village Double chairs came from the North Ridge double, but if it was a Poma, it makes sense, as the Village had nice Poma chairs up until the end, with comfortable padding.

Later that day back in '91, we noticed the chairs slowed down in the terminals for the Green Mountain Express, so we decided to ride it. I may have ridden North Ridge once or twice after that before it was replaced with the original GMX.

Newpylong

That is a funny story and similar to mine of the Yankee Clipper at Mount Snow. I was told I would be riding a high speed lift at the time and was pretty nervous especially after seeing it run lol. I was much delighted to see the terminal slowdowns. This was the late 80s.

nhskier1969

I am so bored, I go onto Sugarbush cams a couple times a day to watch the snow melt. Speak of that, I hope Win turns on the Heavengate cam, Can watch the snow melt there too.

cdskier

I am so bored, I go onto Sugarbush cams a couple times a day to watch the snow melt. Speak of that, I hope Win turns on the Heavengate cam, Can watch the snow melt there too.

I do the same thing. I was also disappointed when they turned off the HG cam.

tumbler

I've stopped watching as often as I was, it was bumming me out too much.

Slidebrook87

So after over a year of on and off searching, I've finally found footage of the North Ridge Double. It's very minimal, but I learned that I was quite wrong about a few things. First of all, the chairs used were the Poma "teardrop" style double chairs, therefore, Village's chairs were not North Ridge's old chairs. Another thing I thought was that it had a top Delta drive, but it turns out that it had a bottom drive. I'm not sure what the model was as the motor room looks different than a typical Delta motor room. I'm still very surprised that it wasn't relocated as it was still very new at the time of removal. Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.44.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.45.12 PM.png

If anyone has more information or pictures relating to the lift, please post them.
Thanks to shadyjay for helping me out as well.

Slidebrook87

After closer examination, it looks like the drive is a Delta drive. Attached is a picture of what that type of drive looks like:
Deltadrive.jpg

teleo

Bummer looking at the cams and realizing we'd just be arriving now under normal circumstances[emoji26][emoji24]

WinS

Bummer looking at the cams and realizing we'd just be arriving now under normal circumstances[emoji26][emoji24]

To break your heart further there was 11" of fresh powder on the summits this morning.

nhskier1969

To break your heart further there was 11" of fresh powder on the summits this morning.

Win, my family always spends Easter at Sugarbush. A top 5 ski weekend every year. I can't imagine the conditions are like on upper mtn. We've had close to a month of non grooming, nobody skiing it with off and on snow filling in the nooks and crannies of the MTN. Now you tell us about 11 inches on upper Mtn. You are breaking my heart.

Zermatt

Win -

You may be in the best position to relay the concerns of pretty much all passholders for next season.

If Ikon does not extend their renewal discounts and does not form some sort of plan for next season we simply will not be skiing in 20/21 (I'll go to Hawaii instead, my kids will love it).

Nothing is guaranteed but I simply will not flush $2,200 down the toilet. I have to assume pass sales are utterly abysmal and low preseason funding will seriously threaten the ability for many areas to open next season. Ikon's complete silence is not helping.

djd66

Win -

You may be in the best position to relay the concerns of pretty much all passholders for next season.

If Ikon does not extend their renewal discounts and does not form some sort of plan for next season we simply will not be skiing in 20/21 (I'll go to Hawaii instead, my kids will love it).

Nothing is guaranteed but I simply will not flush $2,200 down the toilet. I have to assume pass sales are utterly abysmal and low preseason funding will seriously threaten the ability for many areas to open next season. Ikon's complete silence is not helping.

Billo -

If there is no ski season 20/21, I don't think you will be going to Hawaii.

I do agree that it would be nice if Ikon did something to extend the renewal period. If they don't want to extend, then how about they lower the cost? Or - they could give some kind of guarantee that is the season is cut short B/C of Covid - they will do XYZ for the following season. If they did something, I would risk that there may be issues next year and buy anyway. Otherwise, I will just wait and buy my pass at a higher price.

I have to believe that pass sales are way the heck off for next year.

Zermatt

Billo -

If there is no ski season 20/21, I don't think you will be going to Hawaii.

I do agree that it would be nice if Ikon did something to extend the renewal period. If they don't want to extend, then how about they lower the cost? Or - they could give some kind of guarantee that is the season is cut short B/C of Covid - they will do XYZ for the following season. If they did something, I would risk that there may be issues next year and buy anyway. Otherwise, I will just wait and buy my pass at a higher price.

I have to believe that pass sales are way the heck off for next year.

Not looking for a perfect plan or one ultimate solution....just some sort of update.

Yes, Hawaii could become Florida could become a drive to Rhode Island could become just staying at home and watching more movies....

Edd

Ha! I love Hawaii but I’d never trade a ski season for a trip there.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

CastlerockMRV

From what I understand Alterra is in a battle with their insurance provider over this and the insurance provider is holding fast that they will not provide any protection if resorts are forced to close to due COVID. Further the "quarantine" part of the pass insurance offered apparently covers personal quarantine but doesn't do anything about stay-at-home orders. (Wouldn't be shocked if they stripped that part out for 2020-21 either.)

There are a bunch of threads in the Ikon Pass Holders Facebook group with screenshots from conversations with Alterra Customer Service as well as with Red Sky Insurance who covers Ikon. Pretty informative if you want to check it out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ikonpassholders

I would be surprised if Alterra doesn't issue a formal statement on this soon.

I upgraded from my SB pass to full Ikon they day they went on sale. Wishing I had waited now...