• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Smellytele

Yeah- that's right. Were you hoping for more?

This did not happen by accident, Vermont is doing the right thing and continues to do so. We could have been Corona-central up here had we not taken the measures we did (and continue to). Sorry the caution tape is still up on what you (and 100,000 of your friends) view as your personal amusement park. We still have to live up here.

I hear Lake of the Ozarks is very nice this time of year. Their philosophy on business and social distance there seems more in line with yours.

Just watch out for Marty Bird and his cohorts.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tumbler

I wish there was an app that could prove through my phone gps that it has not moved in 9 weeks, therefore quarantined and I could go to the grocery store and gas station before 2 weeks. I know quite a few families that have been in VT since the ski shutdown in March and they get constantly questioned.

BenedictGomez

This did not happen by accident, Vermont is doing the right thing and continues to do so. We could have been Corona-central up here had we not taken the measures we did (and continue to).

Wrong; you may believe that, but it is false, and as I noted the data are beginning to be virtually incontrovertible to deny this.

In fact, numerous states infection rates decreased after ending lockdown. One hypothesis is that by keeping everyone bottled inside it on balance actually had a more of a negative effect than a positive effect.

Ro-figures.png

WWF-VT

Has anyone with out of state plates been up to the MRV recently? I would be curious to hear of any first hand accounts and if you felt unwelcome or unsafe.

Went up this weekend and saw other MA and out of state plates driving around the MRV. Bottom line is that we packed everything we needed so no trips to the Mehuron's, Bisbees,or even take out food. I did go fishing in the Mad River early in the morning each day (15 trout!) and we hiked on the Catamount trail and at Mt Ellen and saw very few other people. My kid that lives in VT pre-loaded my refrigerator with Sip of Sunshine - curbside drive thru.The only money I spent was on gas at Valero. We did not feel unwelcome or unsafe, we just tried to play by the rules.

djd66

Went up this weekend and saw other MA and out of state plates driving around the MRV. Bottom line is that we packed everything we needed so no trips to the Mehuron's, Bisbees,or even take out food. I did go fishing in the Mad River early in the morning each day (15 trout!) and we hiked on the Catamount trail and at Mt Ellen and saw very few other people. My kid that lives in VT pre-loaded my refrigerator with Sip of Sunshine - curbside drive thru.The only money I spent was on gas at Valero. We did not feel unwelcome or unsafe, we just tried to play by the rules.

Thanks for the insight on what I can expect. When I go up, I do not plan on visiting any stores either.

slatham

You should and help out that economy you are worried about.

Yes that is one side of the argument, but given the official guideline to quarantine for 14 days, the official view of VT is to NOT do business when in State. Before I went up to SoVT (sorry for referencing a non-MRV region) I asked a local friend what his read was - Bring everything and interface with no-one, or bring your business to local establishments. He suggested the former. Thats what we did.

I hope that when we come up in a few weeks the situation will be clearer that we can and should do business with the local establishments. I certainly prefer to support them, as long as they want my bizz.

Smellytele

Yes that is one side of the argument, but given the official guideline to quarantine for 14 days, the official view of VT is to NOT do business when in State. Before I went up to SoVT (sorry for referencing a non-MRV region) I asked a local friend what his read was - Bring everything and interface with no-one, or bring your business to local establishments. He suggested the former. Thats what we did.

I hope that when we come up in a few weeks the situation will be clearer that we can and should do business with the local establishments. I certainly prefer to support them, as long as they want my bizz.

I was poking at them because they said they were concerned with the economy when really they just want to go to VT for their own selfish reasons.

slatham

Wrong; you may believe that, but it is false, and as I noted the data are beginning to be virtually incontrovertible to deny this.

In fact, numerous states infection rates decreased after ending lockdown. One hypothesis is that by keeping everyone bottled inside it on balance actually had a more of a negative effect than a positive effect.

Ro-figures.png

If you are arguing that the initial lock down was unwarranted based on changes in R0 post opening up, you are wrong - this is apples and oranges. The only way to determine if the initial lockdown was ineffective is to compare it to a "control" - a State that both did not lock down, and did not learn the lessons of the pandemic (masks, hand washing, etc). Such a control does not exist.

What I think you are arguing, and this data supports, is that lifting the lockdown has not resulted in a spike in cases and increase in R0. That would argue for those States that are being too slow in opening to accelerate the process. I hope this trend continues.

slatham

I was poking at them because they said they were concerned with the economy when really they just want to go to VT for their own selfish reasons.

Got it. To be clear, I went for my own selfish reasons. But supporting local businesses is also in my own selfish interest - I want them to remain in business!

djd66

You should and help out that economy you are worried about.

I would be happy to support the local economy if I am welcome to spend money in any of the local establishments. However if I am to follow the guidelines of the state of VT, I need to come with my own supplies and stay in my house. This is selfish?

Sorry, I don't get your logic.

BenedictGomez

What I think you are arguing, and this data supports, is that lifting the lockdown has not resulted in a spike in cases and increase in R0. That would argue for those States that are being too slow in opening to accelerate the process. I hope this trend continues.

That's precisely what I've been stating.

Though as to your first part, I'm not even sure the initial lockdowns in non-hotspot areas helped much. It's very difficult to compare as you note, but there are some states like South Dakota that did virtually nothing other than close schools & dial back large gatherings which are not having any COVID19 problems.

Hawk

I went Thursday night and came back Saturday night. We shut down the heat, put all our ski gear away, spring cleaned, grabbed all the booze, pantry items and freezer stuff. Enough for about 3 weeks I bet! We did all the right things so I am not going in details on how safe we were. I will say this, There are large numbers of the local residents that think it is over and do not social distance or wear masks. I saw this all over as I drove around and heard it in conversations with people up here. With tourist season coming it will be interesting to see if the number go up.

Hawk

Sorry. Back to the regularly scheduled program.

FYI, the mountain bike trails are in the best shape for May I have ever seen. Usually it is a total mud bath. We did Revolution, Evolution, decapitator to Swell hill and then down plumb line and there was basically no real mud. They have done a fine job up there.

ThinkSnow

May 28, 2020

I understand that these are difficult times for many, and I hope this email is reaching you in a place where you are healthy and safe, and hanging in there during this new daily life. We think of everyone in our community every day and wonder how folks are doing. We miss you and truly hope you are well. Unfortunately, I have made the hard decision, with input from Sugarbush Resort and the support of the Vermont Adaptive Board of Directors, to postpone the construction of our new adaptive sports center at Mt. Ellen at Sugarbush until Spring 2021. While it is disappointing to be delayed, I believe this is the right and prudent decision now, given the many variables and open-ended questions about our ever-changing environment during this Coronavirus pandemic. Thoughtful consideration went into this decision including:
  • In April, Vermont Adaptive learned it had the green light from Sugarbush to proceed with the build of the facility, pending approval of all permits and only if working in compliance with the State of Vermont Stay Home Stay Safe orders from the governor.
  • On May 1, given the CDC predictions that a second wave of COVID-19 could hit in the Fall, potentially shutting down construction projects indefinitely, Win Smith and the Sugarbush Resort Leadership Team suggested a delay due to the construction project’s timeline of seven months to completion.
  • Because the new building includes renovations to the existing bathrooms, dining services, and locker rooms in the Mt. Ellen base lodge, the construction must be completed, and a certificate of occupancy must be obtained, one month prior to opening day at Mt. Ellen next season.
  • While the builder on the project feels this timeline is possible, it cannot be guaranteed in the event that the State of Vermont orders another shut down. There are just too many variables.
I am confident in this decision. We will continue to move forward and build a stronger rapport with Alterra Mountain Co. and the Sugarbush team, as well as fundraise and secure in-kind donations in the meantime. Most permits have been approved and all should be complete within the next 60 days. We will get extensions on these permits for the new build timeline. Fundraising Update
Thus far we have raised approximately $1.5 million in cash and in-kind donations and will continue to raise funds for the facility and a sustainability fund. Jenn Rand, our Director of Development, is working closely with a small committee to develop new ideas and strategies for raising the remaining funds needed. If you can help, please be in touch with her at jenn@vermontadaptive.org. In-Kind Donations
Jeff Alexander, our Director of Strategic Partnerships, has been working to secure in-kind donations of building materials and labor. He is working closely with Naylor and Breen Builders to establish relationships with their extensive network of suppliers and contractors. He has obtained in-kind commitments from window and flooring suppliers, as well as an office furniture outfitter. This will help off-set the actual cash in hand we need to raise. If you have any leads, please reach out to Jeff at partners@vermontadaptive.org. We look forward to keeping up the momentum because this is absolutely a necessity for our growing programs and will make a difference for all our participants and the Vermont Adaptive community. Most of all, thank you. Your unwavering support of our mission and what we do for our athletes and participants is not taken for granted. We couldn’t do what we do – and serve this important community – without you. Thank you again for your donation and support. Please reach out if you have any questions.
546c6047-7430-4143-b182-e1bdd60b5b39.png

Erin Fernandez
Executive Director