• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

The $700 has the blackout days. It's $899 as a refresh price on a full pass.
https://www.ikonpass.com/en/shop-passes

I know. Hence the reason I had "unlimited" in quotes. There's a lot of people that stay away holidays to begin with, so a relatively cheap pass that gives you access all other times I think will attract new people (potentially even people that previously were Epic local holders)

cdskier

OMG that's hysterical. When the rough draft gets posted online without the "spin" first removed. LOL

That really is hilarious. The entire FAQ looks a bit "rough" from a grammar perspective, never mind the internal notes about how to spin things not being removed.

Slidebrook87

If you think people bomb down Pushover then you have never really experienced Northstar. Taking the features off Slow Poke would help as that is a good trail to build confidence on the pitch at the end. But I'm sure they don't want to have all the features at Mt Ellen (I'm good with it though...). Look at the crowds at Gatehouse lift on the weekends, huge amount of beginners and low intermediates that want to ski over there. Up the capacity of GH to a 6, build the lodge at the top of GH and cut a work road trail like Jester skiers left of Sunrise so people can spread out.

I completely agree with this plan. Along with the lodge at the Lincoln side of the mountain, I could see a small lodge going at the bottom of North Ridge. Skiers coming either way on Slide Brook could have a lodge to go to on either side. It would form a “hub” of sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEtoVTSkier

I'm not surprised by unlimited on full and definitely expected that. I am surprised by unlimited (with blackouts) on base though. That's the part that concerns me a bit more...we'll see what happens.

I don't get to Sugarbush very often, so it isn't gonna affect me that much, but I feel for you regulars.

djd66

The way I look at the new pass is more positives than negatives.

Yeah, it’s possible some weekends will be more crowded. But now I can take my family out west for ZERO cost in lift tickets. That’s a huge savings and a huge benefit (for me and my wallet)

As far as the mountain infrastructure, they need more lodge space on both North and South. Gatehouse lodge could have been double the size. I’d be happy if they added more trails and I’d also be happy if they increased snowmaking capacity.

Slidebrook87

Yeah, it’s possible some weekends will be more crowded. But now I can take my family out west for ZERO cost in lift tickets. That’s a huge savings and a huge benefit (for me and my wallet)

As far as the mountain infrastructure, they need more lodge space on both North and South. Gatehouse lodge could have been double the size. I’d be happy if they added more trails and I’d also be happy if they increased snowmaking capacity.

I totally agree. Paying less and getting all of those added destinations is a HUGE bonus, but as many have mentioned crowds will be an issue. In my opinion, there are 3 key steps that need to be taken to help with the added skier visits:
1. New Ellen lodge - the current one is just far too small and outdated to handle the added traffic. The amenities should be as similar to possible to Lincoln to make sure that people don’t feel like they’re making a compromise by not starting at Lincoln

2. New Gate House lift - with it being the most popular lift on the mountain and it having such a crucial role, Gate House needs to be upgraded. 1,900 p/h at 800 ft/min just isn’t enough.

3. Reliable connection restored between the two sides of the mountain. Whatever can be done to ensure Slide Brook can run for most of the season needs to be done. Crowds need to be spread out across the whole resort. With some marketing of the connection and ability to ski both sides in one day, skiers should be spread out much more and crowds should be relieved.

Along with these upgrades it will be nice to see snowmaking improvements and a new/expanded mid mountain lodge at both sides. New trails would be nice, but I don’t see it to be that likely to happen.

djd66

I totally agree. Paying less and getting all of those added destinations is a HUGE bonus, but as many have mentioned crowds will be an issue. In my opinion, there are 3 key steps that need to be taken to help with the added skier visits:
1. New Ellen lodge - the current one is just far too small and outdated to handle the added traffic. The amenities should be as similar to possible to Lincoln to make sure that people don’t feel like they’re making a compromise by not starting at Lincoln

2. New Gate House lift - with it being the most popular lift on the mountain and it having such a crucial role, Gate House needs to be upgraded. 1,900 p/h at 800 ft/min just isn’t enough.

3. Reliable connection restored between the two sides of the mountain. Whatever can be done to ensure Slide Brook can run for most of the season needs to be done. Crowds need to be spread out across the whole resort. With some marketing of the connection and ability to ski both sides in one day, skiers should be spread out much more and crowds should be relieved.

Along with these upgrades it will be nice to see snowmaking improvements and a new/expanded mid mountain lodge at both sides. New trails would be nice, but I don’t see it to be that likely to happen.

All great ideas,... I am not sure they will ever be able to fix the slidebrook lift issue. Personally I would love it if they had a few gondolas, but I think this was shot down by the locals long time ago.

What it will come down to for all improvements is money. If it does not make financial sense, I doubt these things will get done. It’s a business after all.

Slidebrook87

A lot can be done with Slide Brook but it just hasn’t been done. In its current state it’s a mess with a bunch of deep water bars that make it difficult to evacuate. The lift line could be cleared with new water management systems as well as widened evac access roads. Is it cheap? No. But this along with a refurbishment of the lift could bring back the connection they need. Very few skiers actually bother riding the bus so in order to consider it one ski area it needs to run. By marketing the idea of it being one connected resort (which Alterra and Ikon have been doing) skiers can be spread out much better.

cdskier

A lot can be done with Slide Brook but it just hasn’t been done. In its current state it’s a mess with a bunch of deep water bars that make it difficult to evacuate. The lift line could be cleared with new water management systems as well as widened evac access roads. Is it cheap? No. But this along with a refurbishment of the lift could bring back the connection they need. Very few skiers actually bother riding the bus so in order to consider it one ski area it needs to run. By marketing the idea of it being one connected resort (which Alterra and Ikon have been doing) skiers can be spread out much better.

Where do you get your stats that "very few skiers actually ride the bus"?

Also, forget about cost...what makes you think you would ever get approval to do ANYTHING in Slide Brook?

MorningWoods

Yeah. After spending a week elsewhere. I really appreciated not having to circle tables in the lodge like a great white circling a seal off Monomoy.

Slidebrook87

Where do you get your stats that "very few skiers actually ride the bus"?

Also, forget about cost...what makes you think you would ever get approval to do ANYTHING in Slide Brook?

I have been on that bus with more than 4 people other than when Lincoln got shut down because of wind last New Year’s Day. Nobody wants to bother riding the bus because it’s just not convenient. Most of the people I talk to on the lift say they only go to Ellen when Slide Brook runs. If Alterra was serious about this project (and they seem like they actually care about Slide Brook), they could find a way to permit it without disturbing the Bear habitat. The liftline and lift have already been built so they don’t have that to worry about.

Slidebrook87

I have been on that bus with more than 4 people other than when Lincoln got shut down because of wind last New Year’s Day. Nobody wants to bother riding the bus because it’s just not convenient. Most of the people I talk to on the lift say they only go to Ellen when Slide Brook runs. If Alterra was serious about this project (and they seem like they actually care about Slide Brook), they could find a way to permit it without disturbing the Bear habitat. The liftline and lift have already been built so they don’t have that to worry about.

Correction - I have never been on the bus with more than 4 people except for New Years. Oops...

deadheadskier

Staff member

You really need to get over this. Alterra won't be doing any of that anytime soon. It's so far down on the capital improvement priority list for them with so little ROI, you're best to let that dream go. There are people in this thread with decades of SB experience. No one is seeing Slidebrook improvements as a priority.

Most importantly, little chance they get permits as cd points out

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Correction - I have never been on the bus with more than 4 people except for New Years. Oops...

Doesn't match any of my experiences riding the bus...(or the number of people I see getting off the bus when I'm at either GMX or walking back to my car in the LP parking lot)

Slidebrook87

You really need to get over this. Alterra won't be doing any of that anytime soon. It's so far down on the capital improvement priority list for them with so little ROI, you're best to let that dream go. There are people in this thread with decades of SB experience. No one is seeing Slidebrook improvements as a priority.

Most importantly, little chance they get permits as cd points out

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Why should I “get over this” when it is a crucial part of Sugarbush. Both sides being connected doubles the amount of terrain and vastly improves skier distribution and guest satisfaction. In fact I know people that will not come to Sugarbush unless it is running as they don’t want to be stuck at only one side for the whole day. With some upgrades Sugarbush can be brought to how it used to be, one connected resort. Why do you think Alterra doesn’t see it as a priority. On both their Ikon and Alterra website descriptions of Sugarbush they mention “two mountains connected by a high speed quad”. When the manager of the Ikon Instagram visited recently they posted on their story promoting Slide Brook and skiing both sides of the mountain. With more and more skier visits, it’s in their best interest to spread out crowds. Whenever Slide Brook is open I am always going to ski all of Sugarbush and not just one side. Why pick one side when you can ski both!

Slidebrook87

Squaw Alpine is a good example of their desire to have connected resorts. Currently a bus services the two, but they are spending $10,000,000+ on a new gondola to connect them. Not saying they should spend $10,000,000 on Slide Brook, but it gives you an idea of their priorities.