• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Why should I “get over this” when it is a crucial part of Sugarbush. Both sides being connected doubles the amount of terrain and vastly improves skier distribution and guest satisfaction. In fact I know people that will not come to Sugarbush unless it is running as they don’t want to be stuck at only one side for the whole day. With some upgrades Sugarbush can be brought to how it used to be, one connected resort. Why do you think Alterra doesn’t see it as a priority. On both their Ikon and Alterra website descriptions of Sugarbush they mention “two mountains connected by a high speed quad”. When the manager of the Ikon Instagram visited recently they posted on their story promoting Slide Brook and skiing both sides of the mountain. With more and more skier visits, it’s in their best interest to spread out crowds. Whenever Slide Brook is open I am always going to ski all of Sugarbush and not just one side. Why pick one side when you can ski both!

It really doesn't "double" the amount of terrain first of all. Secondly, it is NOT a crucial part of Sugarbush. Alterra doesn't see it as a priority because they already stated what their priorities were during the town hall back after the acquisition was announced (lifts were not in the top 3 at all).

I'd also argue that the Slide Brook chair is only faster going from ME to LP. From LP to ME it is really not faster than the bus. From ME, Slide Brook is easily accessible from the vast majority of terrain. From LP, from most terrain you're going to have to take the GH lift first. On a crowded day that easily adds 10-15 minutes to the time required to get from LP to ME via Slide Brook.

And finally, even in years where Slide Brook runs nearly every day that ME is open it still doesn't result in driving much more traffic to ME. There are a lot of other factors in why a lot of people choose to stay at LP instead of going over to ME.

TheArchitect

Is there an "Ignore User" function on this site?

Edit: There is!!! No more reading posts by people with serious Dunning-Kruger effect.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why should I “get over this” when it is a crucial part of Sugarbush. Both sides being connected doubles the amount of terrain and vastly improves skier distribution and guest satisfaction. In fact I know people that will not come to Sugarbush unless it is running as they don’t want to be stuck at only one side for the whole day. With some upgrades Sugarbush can be brought to how it used to be, one connected resort. Why do you think Alterra doesn’t see it as a priority. On both their Ikon and Alterra website descriptions of Sugarbush they mention “two mountains connected by a high speed quad”. When the manager of the Ikon Instagram visited recently they posted on their story promoting Slide Brook and skiing both sides of the mountain. With more and more skier visits, it’s in their best interest to spread out crowds. Whenever Slide Brook is open I am always going to ski all of Sugarbush and not just one side. Why pick one side when you can ski both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need to get over SB upgrades for the exact reasons everyone is telling you.

It's LOW on the list of importance for customer experience and potential ROI.

More snowmaking capacity, more lodge space with year round potential uses, planning for Heaven's Gate eventual replacement as well as other lifts are all significantly more important.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Slidebrook87

All I’m saying is that Alterra clearly sees the value in connector lifts. If they’re spending 10+ million on a new gondola to connect Squaw and Alpine Meadows, they’re not going to merely accept the fact that one of Sugarbush’s assets is a lift that in this year’s case, didn’t start running until the 3rd month of the ski season and sits for the rest of the year. With warmer and warmer winters, it’s not logical to have a lift depend on so much snow. I have seen a fair share of reviews regarding the fact that people wished they could ski both sides, but Slide Brook was closed so they only stuck to one and as I mentioned, in its current state, yes, Slide Brook is a mess, but it could be improved and a reliable connection could be restored. Alterra is not going to want to force people on to a state-run public bus service in order to ski both sides. For most people that’s too much of a disruption so they’ll just stay at that side. When I skied at Sugarbush for the first time, I was intrigued by the fact that there were two large mountains with plenty of terrain, but without the vibe of a place like Mt. Snow. I went in without any idea that Slide Brook rarely ran and was very disappointed to see that I couldn’t get to the other side. I went to guest services to ask about a bus and they sent me down to the stop in front of Clay Brook and rode it over to Ellen. It was deserted over there and decently crowded at Lincoln. This along with the lack of snow left a bad taste in my mouth until I came back in March and it was Sugarbush how it should be: plenty of snow with two connected sides.

STREETSKIER

Isn’t sb87 a teenager? You’re all arguing with someone who’s brain is not fully developed yet.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not sure about that
You never know who’s behind the screen
A teenager would be talking park and stuff must be a nerd

MorningWoods

Not all teens are park rats...

I actually agree with some of what you are saying. And with more skier visits it would be better if slide Brook ran more often, I for one think the bus is a PIA. But the lodge situation is a priority. As is snowmaking. So those will likely be addressed first if you believe anything they have said to date. Of course if ikon really drives significant overcrowding priorities can change. I’m not sure that will happen though.

tumbler

Look, we get your love for the Slide Brook lift. On a tolerable day it is a fun ride. NOTHING is going to happen in the basin PERIOD. You have no idea of the history of the permitting and the opposition. The lift was the compromise and that's all that can happen. I have seen the old plans 25-30 years ago with 4-6 lift pods running along the ridge and another base area off German Flats and it would have been sweet to ski. The valley would have been changed into Killington though.

djd66

Not sure about that
You never know who’s behind the screen
A teenager would be talking park and stuff must be a nerd

Because he has an opinion and is young he is a “nerd”? Weather you agree with him or not, If SB87 is in fact only 13 YO (and I have no reason the believe he is not) I find his knowledge pretty impressive.

Hawk

Yes he is 14. Someone I know confirmed it that knows him. He does a lot of reading and does know a lot about lifts and other SB things. What he lacks is the understanding of how to interact on this forum. I have and will cut him some slack because he has not learned that yet and I have to say, I have been obnoxious in the past myself. One thing for sure is his love of that blasted lift is not shared by many of us. :) I have to go now and ski the pow. Top lot is more than half full at 8:30. lots of thirsty pow hounds. Not feeling good with the amount of wind though but VH, Bravo and Gatehouse are turning at this point.

MorningWoods

Because he has an opinion and is young he is a “nerd”? Weather you agree with him or not, If SB87 is in fact only 13 YO (and I have no reason the believe he is not) I find his knowledge pretty impressive.

I know right. Sad to see this. Let’s pick on the kid behind anonymous screen names? He’s never once got personal and that stupid poem was written by a made up handle if you actually read it. Yet he remains above board. Good for you teddy, some these guys can learn something from you.

MEtoVTSkier

Isn’t sb87 a teenager? You’re all arguing with someone who’s brain is not fully developed yet.

It's so funny they keep arguing with a 13 year old who believes he knows everything.

Win has stated multiple times, that Slidebrook runs EVERY DAY that it is possible to run it. Should be the end of the discussion right there.

ktrerotola

OMG that's hysterical. When the rough draft gets posted online without the "spin" first removed. LOL

Ouch. Super bummed the For30s went away, it was actually a key factor in choosing Sugarbush for a group house years back. Was hoping to get this cheaper option for a few more years.

To add insult to injury, Jackson Hole add on to Ikon is $150 - we have family there (lucky I know) so that’s where we are planning to use IKON next year. The $100 for SB pass holders almost offsets this, but my pass price has nearly doubled for next year, from the ~$539 rate I paid early For30s.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

folledeski

You are way more obnoxious than slidebrook is, Hawk. Many of you may not agree with his opinions but he presents them logically and respectfully.

tumbler

upper mtn wind holds keeping it fresh for tomorrow. looks like bravo running slow for wind

Orca

Slidebrook is at least advocating for improvements and doing so with reasoned arguments. That's a good thing, whether you agree with him or not.

Zermatt

Lifts in Europe traverse crevasse covered glaciers and 1,000' cliffs, there doesn't appear to be a requirement that people have to be lowered down to terrain they can ski out from in an emergency.

HowieT2

Lifts in Europe traverse crevasse covered glaciers and 1,000' cliffs, there doesn't appear to be a requirement that people have to be lowered down to terrain they can ski out from in an emergency.

That may be so but last I checked Europe wasn't under the jurisdiction of the State of Vermont.