• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

machski

"Concern" From? CAT with a strong west wind?

Speaking of CAT it's been a busy few days at the Glider pilots Wave camp in Gohram with somebody making it to 32,000ft

http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=247536
Not Perlan worthy but still cool .

With more than one tower I was expecting to see a group obstruction symbol on the chart . I guess they just picked the tallest one? So none of the towers are above the summit elevation ?
I do not believe so. Yes, in close enough proximity, only the tallest tower need be depicted. I am not sure what the lateral spread is before multiple are depicted but the ones on Mansfield are in close proximity.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

tumbler

I still get blocked for phishing- i turn off my wifi then it works.

tumbler

From Win: Not starting snowmaking until Nov 1 (no surprise), mountain not set up with guns and hoses yet. Opening day Nov 17.

southvillager

Nov 17 seems late. Killington and Sunday River opened for skiing today. Mt Snow has "138 guns going". But Stowe opens Nov 17.

slatham

Nov 17 seems late. Killington and Sunday River opened for skiing today. Mt Snow has "138 guns going". But Stowe opens Nov 17.

I disagree. The last few/several years they have been clear that snowmaking starts Nov1 or as soon thereafter as weather permits, with a target opening of the weekend before Thanksgiving. Actually this year is a bit early since Thanksgiving is as early as it can be. Of course if conditions permit they will open earlier. Lets hope the cold holds.

IceEidolon

November one may well be part of their power bill - on some billing structures, there's a demand charge based on the max amount of power used at any one time of that month. Running for 30 October hours could well cost an extra $60,000 or more. Plus a conservative opening date mitigates the blow-melt-blow-melt cycle of early base building somewhat and gives their Ops staff a much more predictable target to be ready by.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

Hawk

I disagree. The last few/several years they have been clear that snowmaking starts Nov1 or as soon thereafter as weather permits, with a target opening of the weekend before Thanksgiving. Actually this year is a bit early since Thanksgiving is as early as it can be. Of course if conditions permit they will open earlier. Lets hope the cold holds.

Yup. November 1st for start of snowmaking is what they have been doing for the last 10 or so years. I gave up long ago wanting them to start earlier and open earlier. I now bring all my stuff home at the end of the season and have it ready for early season. I did ski Sunday River this weekend. Saturday was sunny with temps in the 50's. It was soft and bumpy and we basically skied right onto the lift. Absolutely a perfect day for day one. Good friends, good snow, Sunny warm days and no one there. I heard that Killington had a big line with tons of people. I think my choice was a better one then going to K.8)

bumpcrasher

Yup. November 1st for start of snowmaking is what they have been doing for the last 10 or so years. I gave up long ago wanting them to start earlier and open earlier. I now bring all my stuff home at the end of the season and have it ready for early season. I did ski Sunday River this weekend. Saturday was sunny with temps in the 50's. It was soft and bumpy and we basically skied right onto the lift. Absolutely a perfect day for day one. Good friends, good snow, Sunny warm days and no one there. I heard that Killington had a big line with tons of people. I think my choice was a better one then going to K.8)

I am fine with the Bush not being in the early season game. Even if we did open early, I don't think there would be enough people to justify it.

And Hawk, there was a surprisingly LOW turnout at Killington both days (never got over like 1-2 minutes long). Maybe Friday was crowded?? Still plenty of people to keep you "entertained" from the lift!!

tumbler

It's pretty early for skiing, most flat landers have not turned their attention there yet. Still lots to do before getting to winter, kids crap, yard work, etc. Soon....

Hawk

I am fine with the Bush not being in the early season game. Even if we did open early, I don't think there would be enough people to justify it.

And Hawk, there was a surprisingly LOW turnout at Killington both days (never got over like 1-2 minutes long). Maybe Friday was crowded?? Still plenty of people to keep you "entertained" from the lift!!

Really? Huh.... I guess it might have been Friday or maybe it was some of that "fake news". I guess you can't trust second hand reporting. If that was the case then I am sure it was good. It was all the usual suspects at Sunday River.