• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

The open shop jobs I have had were good and bad but usually slower. This was largely because they were undermanned and with less skilled workers. This sometimes caused quality issues that forced us to redo portions of the work. It was cheaper but you get what you pay for. My experiences are from doing construction work in the Boston Market over the last 27 years. I am sure things differ greatly from market to market. I can only comment on what I have experienced doing 100's of projects with both union and non-union companies. There is one thing that holds true for Union companies. The owners are paying a premium for the labor so they are very organized and push he schedule very hard so they do not loose money. That is why I always chuckle when people throw out the "it's a union job" I think it comes from places where Unions have bearing on production like the NYC waterfront and the teamsters. That is a different dynamic from construction. Construction has contracts with liquidated damages when schedules get missed. These get shared with the subcontractors so working slow is usually not the concern. It's the quality that takes the hit so skilled workers are key.

cdskier

This thread has gotten pretty boring since Winn left :-(

Win usually only posted during ski season for the most part...so I really don't see his leaving as having much to do with the quiet at the moment.

Shredmonkey254

So, Hawk, if I remember correctly, you are a big fan of Sunday River. We recently spent a long weekend at our friends new home in downtown Bethel. With the great mountain biking, golfing, restaurants, bars, grocery shopping and a hardware store in walking distance from home and Sunday River 10 minutes away, I’m wondering what brought you to the MRV? Our Maine visit has us questioning where we want to be!

ScottySkis

So, Hawk, if I remember correctly, you are a big fan of Sunday River. We recently spent a long weekend at our friends new home in downtown Bethel. With the great mountain biking, golfing, restaurants, bars, grocery shopping and a hardware store in walking distance from home and Sunday River 10 minutes away, I’m wondering what brought you to the MRV? Our Maine visit has us questioning where we want to be!

I would guess more natural snow steep trails big vert but I ovisly not hawk

Hawk

There were lots of reasons. I still love the people at Sunday River. I have family members that live there and still visit a ton. But we needed a change after 17 years. Sugarbush has, like Scotty says, more snow, Vert, etc. But is also has tons more woods skiing, side country and back country which is what I like to ski most. As a side note, there is also much better mountain biking in the MRV whish was a great side benefit. In general, ski people are ski people. We have the same interests and get stoke about the same things. I have found that my Sugarbush friends are the exact same as my SR friends. Now I just have more friends. ;-)

Hawk

So we attended the socially distanced Community day and got to talk to Winn and John Hamond a bit. It really sounds like they are going to make every effort to pull off this season. Some takeaways:
- Lodges will only have a 150 person capacity. They want everybody to try plan to stay out of the lodge as much as possible.
- Boot up at car or at your lodging before coming. They won't let you do this in the lodge or leave your bag.
- Outside Apre on the plaza as long as the crowds are kept down and people are responsible.
- Bathrooms will be a challenge and distancing will be the key with masks.
- Food options will be take out, grab-n-go, etc.
- Ikon Pass holders will get priority but this has been discussed.

Winn was very upbeat and thought that Altura has the capacity to weather the storm.

HowieT2

So we attended the socially distanced Community day and got to talk to Winn and John Hamond a bit. It really sounds like they are going to make every effort to pull off this season. Some takeaways:
- Lodges will only have a 150 person capacity. They want everybody to try plan to stay out of the lodge as much as possible.
- Boot up at car or at your lodging before coming. They won't let you do this in the lodge or leave your bag.
- Outside Apre on the plaza as long as the crowds are kept down and people are responsible.
- Bathrooms will be a challenge and distancing will be the key with masks.
- Food options will be take out, grab-n-go, etc.
- Ikon Pass holders will get priority but this has been discussed.

Winn was very upbeat and thought that Altura has the capacity to weather the storm.

any mention of adding additional bathroom facilities outside of the lodges especially for the ladies?

Hawk, any mention if they were going to be checking the color of people's license plates and asking them to pronounce "mountain", "cow", or "vermont" before letting them ski?

Hawk

I also thought I heard that they were going to restrict anybody with green plates so they could protect the Vermont citizens from the incoming threat. LOL

I also thought I heard that they were going to restrict anybody with green plates so they could protect the Vermont citizens from the incoming threat. LOL

Oh yeah, good call ;) Maybe send all the green plates to Ellen to start the day. And then if you want to go there from Lincoln they'll administer a Covid test when you get on Slidebrook ... by the time you get to the other side the results should be back from the lab.

rocks860

Well based on the current travel restrictions it doesn’t look like I’ll be skiing sugarbush or anywhere in Vermont this year. I usually go up to sugarbush for a week and stay at eagles but at this point I’d have to quarantine for a week before and a week when I get up there which would eat up the whole time I’m there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gmarty

So, has it been determined this is an accurate read of the rule? I can certainly see how it could be read that way.

Would you rat out your neighbor if you know they are coming and going against the rules? It is fairly silly because you could live in a green community and go to red community to work every day - so the rule is not accomplishing much.

That's correct. Absolutely legal and within the rules to quarantine at home.

Hawk

So, has it been determined this is an accurate read of the rule? I can certainly see how it could be read that way.

Would you rat out your neighbor if you know they are coming and going against the rules? It is fairly silly because you could live in a green community and go to red community to work every day - so the rule is not accomplishing much.

Would I rat out my neighbor? Absolutely not. It is not my business to be the police and I would not know exactly what the circumstances. are for any particular family. There is nothing I hate more in life than rats. I say, mind your own business and deal with your own Safety and let the resort, restaurants and the other businesses deal with their safety.