• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

benski

Hiked up there on Friday and took a few pictures

View attachment 17312
Coming down vh traverse towards that last turn before where the old unload area used to be. They blasted out a bunch of that corner and made it much wider

View attachment 17313
Around that corner

View attachment 17315
Looking down from where vh traverse comes out

View attachment 17316
What's left of the old lift shack

I believe that is the abandoned patrol shack. I am surprised it is still there. I don't think the patrol shack was at all usable now.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ThinkSnow

Thanks, I honestly couldn't recognize where things used to be

Pics from this past March.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• VH1.jpg
    VH1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 465
  • VH2.jpg
    VH2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 463

jimmywilson69

I wonder how long until they are ready to start flying in Towers? Anyone local see the towers and lift terminal pieces laying around?

slatham

I was under the impression that they had to fly in cement for the lift tower bases on the steeper sections, and then fly the towers. Have not heard of the cement going in but unfortunately I haven't been hanging out watching the mountain lately.

jimmywilson69

good point about flying in the concrete. Forgot about that. I would imagine that they have to be close to doing that at this point.

teleo

Their fb page said "towers are scheduled for their heli-drops September 8th!"

Newpylong

How would one get on the lift from Spring Fling, the Mall, etc. Ski around the Valley House? I would think what we see under the lift is not going to be skiable right there.

WWF-VT

Here's a few pics from 8/30. I hiked up Castlerock, took the Long Trail to Lincoln Peak and would my way down the mountain.

VH Traverse and grading back to Steins:

attachment.php

Top tower:

attachment.php

Carpet for the lift at the bottom ?

attachment.php

WWF-VT

WWF-VT thanks for the pics.

Did you happen to peer into the new slide that opened up n Paradise earlier this summer?

I did not hike down as I was in shorts and didn't feel like bushwacking. Everything is well grown in along the LT and Paradise Woods. You can't tell where it is from the LT. I did get a good look via my binoculars from Allyn's Lodge. It looks to be about 10-15 yards wide and 50+ yards long and stripped down to dirt. There's probably a big debris pile at the bottom - I could not get a view as hiked down Jester. t's likely no secret that it's about 20+ yards to skiers left of a familar woods area up there.

Last edited:

gostan

For any older gentlemen/women out there Sugarbush lowered their senior discount age from 70 to 65. I still have several years to go.
After complaining about the $$ Treatment of Senior Skiers when the age was raised to 70, this reversal of philosophy by reducing the age back to 65 was welcomed with open arms last May by this 66 year old skier.

ThinkSnow

Win Smith turned 65 this year, and I believe that may have prompted the age lowering. He wants more of his peeps on the hill with him.

gostan

Win Smith turned 65 this year, and I believe that may have prompted the age lowering. He wants more of his peeps on the hill with him.
I think that there was a loss of Senior skiers to other lower priced senior pass mountains inVT and that with the success of the Boomer Mid Week pass and the $$ being spent on the VH chair, Win wants to put as many people as possible on the mountain, young, old , families, college age, , middle age, or whatever, it does not matter.