• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ducky

Sorry to be clear I am questioning this photo was this week.

Do you know Brooks Curran? He would not lie about this and is the biggest upcoming ski photog in the area. Further, Eric Friedman, new Mad River Valley Chamber Director and former 22-yr MRG Marketing Director, posted it on the Chamber's FB page. Brooks knows how to find snow and ski it in such a way to make for a great photo.

Here is Brooks' incredible video from the end of last season at MRG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_enScZV8Pg0

KustyTheKlown

They got 11” on top of mad and mount ellen, and they know the terrain very well. my guess is they were riding low-medium angle stuff off the double, where they know it’s safe soft grass underneath, and they staged a photo with a big big slash to throw up a lot of pow, and the photog caught it just right. it’s real, just highly planned

Hawk

With all the new snow this week and good temps, is there any hope of opening this coming weekend? I'm heading to Maine if they do not. I just need to know which way to point my car.

Hawk

You have to ask. I know the boxed answer but sometimes Win surprises us. You never know, he might be looking to make turns himself. It would not be the first time that mother nature exceeds expectations and they open early.

WinS

As much as I would personally like to do some official turns at Sugarbush this weekend, we will be sticking to our schedule of opening next weekend the 23rd. We are still hiring, training, orienting, cleaning lodges and giving some of our F&B staff a break after a business summer and fall. By next weekend, I think it is very likely that we will be skiing off of both the Gate House and the Valley House lifts and possibly more if temperatures stay down. That should make for a very nice opening day for all abilities and also spread people out on the mountain. It does look like cold weather is in place for most of this week and then we will be warming up some next week which will mean returning snowmaking to the upper elevations if that comes to pass. Enjoy Maine, Hawk!

Los

As much as I would personally like to do some official turns at Sugarbush this weekend, we will be sticking to our schedule of opening next weekend the 23rd. We are still hiring, training, orienting, cleaning lodges and giving some of our F&B staff a break after a business summer and fall. By next weekend, I think it is very likely that we will be skiing off of both the Gate House and the Valley House lifts and possibly more if temperatures stay down. That should make for a very nice opening day for all abilities and also spread people out on the mountain. It does look like cold weather is in place for most of this week and then we will be warming up some next week which will mean returning snowmaking to the upper elevations if that comes to pass. Enjoy Maine, Hawk!

Win - you are the man, and you're a huge part of what makes Sugarbush so special. Thanks for all that you do.

Hawk

Fair enough. I know that people at the mountain had a very busy summer and fall. I am sure a little down time has been earned. Thanks for the honest answer. See you all in two weeks.

cdskier

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/4505502

who called it? At least Win is sticking around for the time being.

Happy Win is staying on as President/COO. Will definitely be interesting to see how they integrate SB into the Ikon pass next year though (glad we have at least no changes for this year). If it becomes unlimited on Ikon, I do have concerns about what that could do to crowds and would not particularly be looking forward to that possibility.

NYDB

I don't think they can do an Aspen or Deer valley situation at Sugarbush. Like KTK says, they need that unlimited Big terrain mountain in the east. No way it won't be unlimited starting 20/21

Last edited:

slatham

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/4505502

who called it? At least Win is sticking around for the time being.

Full on disappointment. I really felt Win would stay strong and independent. Is it really impossible to survive as an independent ski resort in VT? If so that is a sad state of affairs. Maybe I’m nostalgic for the old days of skiing, but I really do fear this trend will ruin the sport long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk