• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

benski

Top of North Lynx to top of GMX was the Slide Brook proposal, before LBO. That's the reasoning behind the original name for the lift up there... North Link Poma.

Also its the shortest distance. that would be 1.36 miles vs 2.00. The left turn on Rim Run is the shortest distance, 1 mile. Along the ridge would be silly, 1.15 miles, wind exposed, and on the long trail rite of way. There was also a proposals for 2-5 lifts with trails in slide brook. I found them online once but can't find them again. but I think there would have been 2 more base areas off German flats under the plan. Maybe Win could post them, since I assume they are all on file.

WinS

Also its the shortest distance. that would be 1.36 miles vs 2.00. The left turn on Rim Run is the shortest distance, 1 mile. Along the ridge would be silly, 1.15 miles, wind exposed, and on the long trail rite of way. There was also a proposals for 2-5 lifts with trails in slide brook. I found them online once but can't find them again. but I think there would have been 2 more base areas off German flats under the plan. Maybe Win could post them, since I assume they are all on file.

Actually, I have never seen that plan but can check if we have something in the files. I do know that the compromise to get the Slidebrook lift in resulted in limiting anything further that can be done in the Slidebrook basin. No additional recreation or construction. The Beech trees make this a very sensitive bear habitat. Another constraint built into the permit is only running the lift from the end of November through March. It would be a ride during peak foliage but that is not allowed.

cdskier

Actually, I have never seen that plan but can check if we have something in the files. I do know that the compromise to get the Slidebrook lift in resulted in limiting anything further that can be done in the Slidebrook basin. No additional recreation or construction. The Beech trees make this a very sensitive bear habitat. Another constraint built into the permit is only running the lift from the end of November through March. It would be a ride during peak foliage but that is not allowed.

That would actually be a beautiful ride during foliage season. Too bad.

In other news, is it accurate on the trail report that Exterminator was groomed last night? If so, I can't recall the last time that was done.

rtjcbrown

sugarbushmaster.jpg

Plowboy

I lived in Waitsfield in the mid 90s and when LBO bought the place there were plans for snowmaking, etc

The people wanted to crucify him, newspaper articles galore and he relented to transform everything but Castlerock. Glad that bullet got dodged.

The bumper sticker was........"More Rock---Less Otten"

cdskier

I would think the only thing possible would be the North expansion above Inverness. The Slidebrook stuff as Win said is totally off the table

There are parts of that old plan that are not within Slide Brook other than just the Inverness peak expansion. Of course if you even suggested cutting some of those other trails today you might have a riot as a few go through some pretty popular unofficial glades.

WinS

That would actually be a beautiful ride during foliage season. Too bad.

In other news, is it accurate on the trail report that Exterminator was groomed last night? If so, I can't recall the last time that was done.

We were going to do Lower Exterminator but did not get to it due to the wind and working elsewhere. We would not groom Upper Exterminator since we do not make snow up there.

cdskier

We were going to do Lower Exterminator but did not get to it due to the wind and working elsewhere. We would not groom Upper Exterminator since we do not make snow up there.

That makes much more sense. Someone must've just checked off the wrong trail on the report then.
Ext.JPG

Out of curiosity, why is no snow made on Upper Exterminator even though pipes are still there? Although in all honesty I like it completely natural and also find skiing around the hydrants sort of fun too in a weird way so I'm quite happy no snow is made on it.

1dog

And the potential for the Most Famous Bar in NE ski country? Mushroom???

The press would be amazing - as would the views. ( Just transfer Wunderbar license? or expand it)

Either way, Happy 60th anniversary SB. Been a great ride for many of us for years.

Its a lot of fun speculating how we'd all spend OPM. ROI is the question.

Both monetary and experiential.

rocks860

I’ve been skiing at sugarbush basically my entire life (since I was 2 and am now 36) and I love it the way it is. Glad it never turned into a killington type mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinnoke

If that's the criteria, why is Lower Domino on this evening's grooming plan (according to this afternoon's snow report update)? In addition, Moonshine and Lower Moonshine, which I've known to be groomed on rare occasions, are on the plan, too
. Of course, I look forward to the Spring's annual consideration of a Middle Earth groom, which is a treat if you catch it right!

WinS

If that's the criteria, why is Lower Domino on this evening's grooming plan (according to this afternoon's snow report update)? In addition, Moonshine and Lower Moonshine, which I've known to be groomed on rare occasions, are on the plan, too
. Of course, I look forward to the Spring's annual consideration of a Middle Earth groom, which is a treat if you catch it right!

I guess I was not clear. We do occasionally groom trails without snowmaking if snow pack is deep enough and it will improve the conditions. Upper Exterminator has a lot of rock and steep so would not want to take a $350K groomer down it. The trails we will do once or twice a year include Middle Earth, Cotilllion, Twist, Moonshine, Lower Domino, Paradise Extension, Walt’s, Semi Tough. We have done Upper Domino but that is very tricky and really needs good depth as well as Castlerock Run. It is ideal to do these ahead of fresh snow. Someone once asked if we ever groomed Rumble. Maybe the old orange Tucker could be brought out of retirement.�� nice to see everyone watching the snow reports.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That makes much more sense. Someone must've just checked off the wrong trail on the report then.
View attachment 24499

Out of curiosity, why is no snow made on Upper Exterminator even though pipes are still there? Although in all honesty I like it completely natural and also find skiing around the hydrants sort of fun too in a weird way so I'm quite happy no snow is made on it.

I imagine the issue is money. Back in the day they used to make snow on it and once in a great while winch it. Hell, they have even winched FIS before.

I was quite surprised to see in the recent post that they have cut back on grooming Walt's and Semi-Tough. The former was groomed regularly when I last skied there and is a great trail. I guess if I were still in Vermont I would be even more disappointed with Sugarbush than I was my last season there. Oh well.....

1dog

Slide Brook Buses -

I imagine the issue is money. Back in the day they used to make snow on it and once in a great while winch it. Hell, they have even winched FIS before.

I was quite surprised to see in the recent post that they have cut back on grooming Walt's and Semi-Tough. The former was groomed regularly when I last skied there and is a great trail. I guess if I were still in Vermont I would be even more disappointed with Sugarbush than I was my last season there. Oh well.....

( a little self-interest here - we are ok with some being disappointed here - can't please everyone and certainy can't handle everyone in one ski hill.)

Speaking of dissapointed. . . . . whats up with the small buses on North/South routes? Those larger buses could handle the crowds, no so with the half pints.

Along with everyone becoming a tree skier, its a circus down at the bottom weekends.

Thought we have Mad Bus, as well as Bush buses, last two times there only had the smaller ones.

Did I miss a thread?

Jay closed today -60 wind chill.

cdskier

FIS used to be groomed pretty regularly back when I first started skiing at SB. I'm perfectly ok with it not being groomed though. A groomed FIS only needs about a dozen or so turns to ski down and takes no time at all since the trail is rather short. Ungroomed is more challenging and more interesting.

As for Walt's and Semi-Tough, I think the current grooming strategy on them only when needed is perfect. Those trails are so much fun when left alone and only flattened once in a while to "reset" them or break up some firm conditions. There's no need to groom lower elevation natural trails like that too often. They can also act as a great introduction to natural terrain skiing for lower level skiers. Why ruin that by over-grooming them?

I don't get why you think these things would be "disappointing". As a passholder I see very little to be disappointed about most of the time. I think the investments and improvements over the past several years have been very prudent and well spent. We're not wasting money on flashy unnecessary items like some other resorts do. While I certainly don't agree with every single decision made, I think the vast majority of time Win and his team make the right calls overall.