• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

granite

I paid $58 to ski Mount Ellen on Saturday (02-29-20), great deal-great terrain-great snow-practically no lift lines. People coming over from SB said it was crowded on that side.

WinS

4a6c8dc196b419b82cfd72e8d3ec5bed.jpg

Enough Snow: yes
Above 5 degrees: yes
Little wind: yes

There is always a reason. We had an electrical breaker fail on Bravo late yesterday, so we borrowed one from SB until we can. Get a replacement. It is more important to have that lift run every day.

What’s going on here??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is always a good reason why it doesn’t run since it is scheduled every day that ME is open. Late yesterday we had an electrical breaker fail on Bravo, so we borrowed the one from SB until we can get an new one. It is more important to have Bravo running.

As far as the discussion on the separate pricing for a ME ticket and pass it began when it was deemed discriminatory to have a local or a VT price on USFS land. Our response was to have a ME ONLY price which anyone can buy. Also supply and demand says the less expensive should be where there is less demand or more supply. That was not the original intent but it makes sense today.

mikec142

There is always a good reason why it doesn’t run since it is scheduled every day that ME is open. Late yesterday we had an electrical breaker fail on Bravo, so we borrowed the one from SB until we can get an new one. It is more important to have Bravo running.

As far as the discussion on the separate pricing for a ME ticket and pass it began when it was deemed discriminatory to have a local or a VT price on USFS land. Our response was to have a ME ONLY price which anyone can buy. Also supply and demand says the less expensive should be where there is less demand or more supply. That was not the original intent but it makes sense today.

Win,

Thanks as always for the very reasonable explanation.

Orca

I do ski both mountains in the same day. I just ski the slidebrook area down to the bus and in about 5 minutes I am at Ellen skiing those trails. Also consider this. You have to take the Gatehouse lift, then the slidebrook lift, then the North ridge. Usually by that time I am cold and sick of being on lifts. The way I do it I have a great run all by myself, the bus comes every 30 minutes so if you time it right it is a 5 minute wait, a warm 5 minute bus ride and then straight onto GMX. I enjoy that way more.

That is what I do too

hub8

Yes. We have been spoiled! Hope there will still be this kind of insights or scoops in the future.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Slidebrook87

So when is it expected to be fixed? Also, what do you mean by a breaker?

Hawk

Look up electrical Circuit Breaker on Google. You know the big switch that protects the circuitry from overload or ground fault. Is also used to kill the power.

ducky

....it began when it was deemed discriminatory to have a local or a VT price on USFS land.

Ha. That was my old neighbor, Mike Krapowski, a lawyer from CT who objected to a discounted VT Day. There was even a bumper sticker, "Who is Mike Krapowski anyway?" Locals were pissed.

I believe SB bought him out with caveats never to return.

Skied quite well today despite having to scramble around the windholds. CR was ok as were some of the lower trees. Got warm in the pm with some stickiness, despite my yellow wax efforts.

BenedictGomez

Ha. That was my old neighbor, Mike Krapowski, a lawyer from CT who objected to a discounted VT Day. There was even a bumper sticker, "Who is Mike Krapowski anyway?" Locals were pissed.

I believe SB bought him out with caveats never to return.

Sounds like a special kind of awful human being.

Though is doesnt surprise me. The one I'm shocked by is how Jay Peak can accept CAD at par with USD, which I would think could be attacked from several different angles.

KustyTheKlown

Sounds like a special kind of awful human being.

Though is doesnt surprise me. The one I'm shocked by is how Jay Peak can accept CAD at par with USD, which I would think could be attacked from several different angles.

if you really care, just go to the bank and exchange for some canadian currency, and then use it to pay jay in cash. seems like a lot of effort to save like $10/ticket, and do you really care so much about jay throwing a bone to canadians when montreal is their closest major market?

WinS

So when is it expected to be fixed? Also, what do you mean by a breaker?

Hawk answered what it is.When? As soon as the $4,000 breaker arrives. Hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday.

Slidebrook87

Hawk answered what it is.When? As soon as the $4,000 breaker arrives. Hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday.

Wow. Glad it is coming so quickly. Are those sold by Doppelmayr directly or is it a separate supplier? How do you simply move a breaker from Slide Brook to Bravo? Doesn’t seem like an easy process.

urungus

Smellytele

if you really care, just go to the bank and exchange for some canadian currency, and then use it to pay jay in cash. seems like a lot of effort to save like $10/ticket, and do you really care so much about jay throwing a bone to canadians when montreal is their closest major market?

You need to show Canadian residency I believe

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Me and the family will be there monday the 9th. Hoping the forecast stays just as it is.

and Win, please dont shut down slidebrook that day:lol:

Newpylong

Wow. Glad it is coming so quickly. Are those sold by Doppelmayr directly or is it a separate supplier? How do you simply move a breaker from Slide Brook to Bravo? Doesn’t seem like an easy process.

An electrician who deals with high voltage can do it. The breakers themselves for that many amps and either 480 or 4160 volts are about the size of your fist. However the housing for the breaker is substantially larger. As Win mentioned they by no means are readily availably usually custom order. We had to pull one off an old snowmaking pump (drive) to keep our lift going a while back mid-winter.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You also have to show proof of Canadian residency. https://jaypeakresort.com/trip-planning/par-policy
Interesting. Either wasn't the policy or wasn't enforced when I skied Jay while at UVM in the late 90s. Jay tickets were around $45 US, but about $30 Canadian back then. The couple times I went as a student we just went to a bank in Burlington and headed on up. Never got questioned. Considering I made about $60 a night delivering pizza for Leonardo's then, saving $15 was a big deal.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

An electrician who deals with high voltage can do it. The breakers themselves for that many amps and either 480 or 4160 volts are about the size of your fist. However the housing for the breaker is substantially larger. As Win mentioned they by no means are readily availably usually custom order. We had to pull one off an old snowmaking pump (drive) to keep our lift going a while back mid-winter.

Actually size can vary widely depending on the manufacturer. Cutler Hammer, Siemens and Square D are the main suppliers. I think Sugarbush has mostly Siemens gear. I would imagine all the systems up there are 480 Volt. Larger specialty voltages can make for long lead times to get parts. Seeing as it sounds like they are over-nighting it from somewhere it must be on a shelf but at $4,000 it must be something that is specialized. That is a lot of money for a breaker.