• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

The groomers did a really good job. Went over the trails 4 or 5 times. I did not get out until noon and it was still good. The early runs were better. Second grooming tonight will make it bette tomorrow. We are also knocking down a lot of the Whales tonight on Lower Downspout, Domino Chutes, Lower Jester and Gondolier. Probably can not get to all of Lower Organgrinder tonight. Snowmaking at LP on Sleeper and Hot Shot and on Straight Shot and Terrain Park at ME.

Unfortunately warming up again Friday with rain on Saturday. Maybe ending in some snow. But...........next week looks a lot better and yes maybe we have this roller coaster over before the usual timing over The Holidays.

We have had a number of different band for the Sugar Bash over the years. Does anyone remember the Motor Booty?

motor booty was great. that was the 50th anniversary party, right?

Hawk

Ha! The motor booty was a common and consistent act at Sunday River 20 years ago and I thought I left them behind until they showed up to Sugarbush. Honestly I have seen them too much and they are not nearly as good as the Grift.

tumbler

So i see Sleeper for the weekend, will anything else be joining it?

ducky

Another fine groomer day for carving, if you like that sort of thing, as I do. The chunks from yesterday were gone completely. Limited terrain but great conditions. Lower DS was groomed flat so less death-defying back to base. Saw guns running on Sleeper and Hot Shot. Looks like whales still to be groomed on Lower OG and Lower Jester.

cdskier

So i see Sleeper for the weekend, will anything else be joining it?

Only other potential route would be the waterfall/hot shot route. Snowmaking looked like it was making good progress on those today. Not sure how much longer it needs. I can only go by what I saw from the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

Another fine groomer day for carving, if you like that sort of thing, as I do. The chunks from yesterday were gone completely. Limited terrain but great conditions. Lower DS was groomed flat so less death-defying back to base. Saw guns running on Sleeper and Hot Shot. Looks like whales still to be groomed on Lower OG and Lower Jester.

Groomers were quite nice today. Always amazes me how they can groom those whales out into such a smooth surface. I’d have to imagine they were pretty firm whales after the rain and refreeze. You’d really never know that today was the first groom on lower DS.

Against my better judgement I tried lower og today for some reason. Quite frozen solid and looking forward to that being groomed out now. The GMVS kids that were at LP seemed to enjoy it though and flew down it pretty quickly. I didn’t particularly care for it and should have listened to my initial instinct to avoid it today.

WinS

Groomers were quite nice today. Always amazes me how they can groom those whales out into such a smooth surface. I’d have to imagine they were pretty firm whales after the rain and refreeze. You’d really never know that today was the first groom on lower DS.

Against my better judgement I tried lower og today for some reason. Quite frozen solid and looking forward to that being groomed out now. The GMVS kids that were at LP seemed to enjoy it though and flew down it pretty quickly. I didn’t particularly care for it and should have listened to my initial instinct to avoid it today.

Didn't get to everything last night so grooming out all the whales on Domino Chute, Jester and Lower Organgrinder. Will keep snowmaking on Sleeper and Waterfall and Hot Shot as long a we can but they will likely we in the morning as it warms up and then he could open them. They should ski nicely. I doubt in much more terrain will be opened. We could get some snow at the end of the rain on Saturday and then will have to wait and see on the Tuesday storm. Looks like we will resume snowmaking sometime on Sunday and will look at the forecast on Saturday to see where we go next. ME open Friday so we will have that terrain for next weekend.

Greg

Staff member
Didn't get to everything last night so grooming out all the whales on Domino Chute, Jester and Lower Organgrinder. Will keep snowmaking on Sleeper and Waterfall and Hot Shot as long a we can but they will likely we in the morning as it warms up and then he could open them. They should ski nicely. I doubt in much more terrain will be opened. We could get some snow at the end of the rain on Saturday and then will have to wait and see on the Tuesday storm. Looks like we will resume snowmaking sometime on Sunday and will look at the forecast on Saturday to see where we go next. ME open Friday so we will have that terrain for next weekend.

Hey there Win! Hope all is well. Hoping you get a reload next week. Heading up a week from Saturday for a few days.

WinS

Hey there Win! Hope all is well. Hoping you get a reload next week. Heading up a week from Saturday for a few days.
Great. Look forward to seeing you. Give me a shout when you are here.

Slidebrook87

This seems to be the last of it thankfully. I’d rather see the rain now than mid season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orca

Is my Sugarbush pass (all mountain pass, full boat, no special 20s, 30s price) good for any Ikon-associated mountain discounts? Like free or reduced ticket prices? Haven't been paying much attention to this.

Slidebrook87

You should invest in a giant tarp to cover all of Sugarbush!! Lol

WinS

Is my Sugarbush pass (all mountain pass, full boat, no special 20s, 30s price) good for any Ikon-associated mountain discounts? Like free or reduced ticket prices? Haven't been paying much attention to this.

No. All is status quo this year.

STREETSKIER

Excellent sno conditions today and how about that.Bird land /glade action lots of sweet soft runs all over hot shot was nice too over twenty thousand vert whoo

Hawk

Saturday ended up being pretty good. The heavy rain let up in the morning and it ended up being soft and fun. Nice to ski without any crowds to speak of and we did many laps covering all open terrain. And some not so open. ;-) Great apre with all locals and pass holders. The sugar bash without the grift ended up being surprisingly great. lots of dancing and good times. Highlight for me was Franklin's Tower.

Sunday was very firm and fast. We bugged out after about 10 runs. The few trails that were open were very populated. This weekend will be a 3 dayer. Hope mother nature is kind to us.

Greg

Staff member
Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what it might take to get some of the natural trails opened back up. Doesn't look like anything major is in the forecast, but I'm betting some rounds of upslope set up between now and the weekend. Just concerned if it will be enough to reopen things like Twist/Moonshine, Mall or Spills. How close was Castlerock before the weekend warmup? Keeping my reservation for the weekend for now, but would rather not burn days if it's just gonna be a groomer fest.