• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

CastlerockMRV

Count me as one that is satisfied as well. I would agree with many on here that an additional lodge is needed to help spread out that lunch crowd. A new sharc for better off mountain activities for guests and non ski days. I wouldn’t like to see anything that increases uphill capacity at Lincoln peak. Would prefer investment in Mt Ellen both the planned but never executed terrain expansion and facility enhancements, make it a destination not an overflow lot. That will go a long way towards addressing crowding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few guys I skied with last year spoke of the possibility of SB cutting in a skin track off of Northway or the top of Inverness to open that section as a sort of inbounds backcountry area. Given the headache/expenditure that comes with any sort of major terrain expansion combined with the current popularity in backcountry skiing, I could totally see it. It's also all south facing so gladed terrain would prob make the most sense there as well.

HowieT2

Anyone and everyone who saw sugarbush in the years before Win took over, knows that its in much better shape, orders of magnitude better, than it was then. Win's stewardship and investment saved a dying resort. Its not debatable. Sure, it was great for us back then that there was relatively no one skiing, but the place was literally dying. look at the skier visits from the end of the asc days.

Personally, I have two kids who love skiing (and rip btw), love the MRV and I really dont think that would have happened if Win hadnt taken over and righted the ship.

MorningWoods

A few guys I skied with last year spoke of the possibility of SB cutting in a skin track off of Northway or the top of Inverness to open that section as a sort of inbounds backcountry area. Given the headache/expenditure that comes with any sort of major terrain expansion combined with the current popularity in backcountry skiing, I could totally see it. It's also all south facing so gladed terrain would prob make the most sense there as well.

That would be cool. I have not skied that area. Wonder how the lines are? That’s private land, correct? So sugarbush could do what they want, to a point? They don’t have to jump through all the forestry loops that they do on LP side. How far over do they own I wonder?

CastlerockMRV

I haven't explored over there either. I do know the Glen Ellen Long Trail hut is about 2/3rds of the way up to the ridge line if you go straight uphill from the top of Inverness. I also chatted with a guy who lives up off of Fiddlehead Road who says he's good for a bunch of lost MRG skiers winding up in his backyard every year so I assume its definitely skiable as is and would be great with some glading.

1dog

I haven't explored over there either. I do know the Glen Ellen Long Trail hut is about 2/3rds of the way up to the ridge line if you go straight uphill from the top of Inverness. I also chatted with a guy who lives up off of Fiddlehead Road who says he's good for a bunch of lost MRG skiers winding up in his backyard every year so I assume its definitely skiable as is and would be great with some glading.

Think skiers left of far north Exterminator Woods - seems to have consistent pitch and fairly steep. Faces south just as Castlerock does but with just glades or very narrow trails or both and you'd have excitment that would sweep over the northeast . . . .so now that I think about that - forget it - sucks there - everyone pay no attention to the man beside Exterminator Woods!.

I've gotten stuck in ravines to the north of Mellen but that was off MRG as well. Lots of deep ravines in there. Last time I came out on Mellen Access road below parking lot.

WinS

Count me as one that is satisfied as well. I would agree with many on here that an additional lodge is needed to help spread out that lunch crowd. A new sharc for better off mountain activities for guests and non ski days. I wouldn’t like to see anything that increases uphill capacity at Lincoln peak. Would prefer investment in Mt Ellen both the planned but never executed terrain expansion and facility enhancements, make it a destination not an overflow lot. That will go a long way towards addressing crowding.

The two best options for a mid-mountain lodge are Gate House Plateau which is already part of our long-term plan with the USFS as well as new or expanded Glen House at ME. It might be possible to expand Allyn's a bit but lack of water limits the food options.

1dog

all good news Win, the question is, when?

Maybe cap-ex budget is increased with new company. Meanwhile, chairlift lunches on Sat and Sundays are a way to go - sometimes the Blazer lunchroom with my kid is less crowded.

Hawk

Think skiers left of far north Exterminator Woods - seems to have consistent pitch and fairly steep. Faces south just as Castlerock does but with just glades or very narrow trails or both and you'd have excitment that would sweep over the northeast . . . .so now that I think about that - forget it - sucks there - everyone pay no attention to the man beside Exterminator Woods!.

I've gotten stuck in ravines to the north of Mellen but that was off MRG as well. Lots of deep ravines in there. Last time I came out on Mellen Access road below parking lot.

I have struggled down from the long trail down to the top of inverness a couple of times. The problem is the woods are real thick in there with evergreens. it was a struggle. I have also gone from the long trail starting at Mt Ellen and found my way to the 19th hole at MRG. That was not bad but you need to make sure the mountain explorer is running. ;-0

bdfreetuna

I have struggled down from the long trail down to the top of inverness a couple of times. The problem is the woods are real thick in there with evergreens. it was a struggle. I have also gone from the long trail starting at Mt Ellen and found my way to the 19th hole at MRG. That was not bad but you need to make sure the mountain explorer is running. ;-0

Have you done the "big slide" on Mt Ellen into Slide Brook? That's kind of on my to-do list but I can't find a lot of info on it.

Sure looks good anyway.. I guess the main question is... if you ski this and end up bottom of Slide Brook, can you get a shuttle ride back to Mt Ellen base or just over to Lincoln?

HowieT2

This. the medium sized pine trees are packed in there tight. Its unpleasant to have to bushwack through that stuff.

HowieT2

Have you done the "big slide" on Mt Ellen into Slide Brook? That's kind of on my to-do list but I can't find a lot of info on it.

Sure looks good anyway.. I guess the main question is... if you ski this and end up bottom of Slide Brook, can you get a shuttle ride back to Mt Ellen base or just over to Lincoln?

if you can get to the shuttle to lincoln, you can get to the one to mt ellen.

WinS

You can catch he bus either way

HowieT2

The two best options for a mid-mountain lodge are Gate House Plateau which is already part of our long-term plan with the USFS as well as new or expanded Glen House at ME. It might be possible to expand Allyn's a bit but lack of water limits the food options.

Are there issues other than cost, involved in doing anything to the lodges at Mt Ellen (other than usual permits and what not)??? I had heard there were some kind of septic/sewage issue.

ducky

As Hawk and Howie have said, the woods off the Long Trail north toward the Glen Ellen hut are very dense and it is bushwhacking the whole way. Be great if the Google satellite images offered a winter view so you could aim for the white and not the green, but they don't. There is a skin track up from Fiddlehead toward Antelope/Catamount.

Following the talk a few pages back of lodge expansions and crowding reminded me of the youTube from a few years ago, Hitler wants a Powder Day Sugarbush.... "we'll have to eat standing up in the boot room". One woman leans over to another, "You ski Middle Earth very well". Ha ha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6qTOcGTJd0

The wait is over, folks. Back on snow Friday. Looks like Mtn Ops have done a great job getting ready.

HowieT2

As Hawk and Howie have said, the woods off the Long Trail north toward the Glen Ellen hut are very dense and it is bushwhacking the whole way. Be great if the Google satellite images offered a winter view so you could aim for the white and not the green, but they don't. There is a skin track up from Fiddlehead toward Antelope/Catamount.

Following the talk a few pages back of lodge expansions and crowding reminded me of the youTube from a few years ago, Hitler wants a Powder Day Sugarbush.... "all we can get is an (f-ing) table in the boot room". One woman leans over to another, "You ski Middle Earth very well". Ha ha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6qTOcGTJd0

The wait is over, folks. Back on snow Friday. Looks like Mtn Ops have done a great job getting ready.

that's my wife's handiwork.

KustyTheKlown

i havent explored slidebrook very much. maybe two runs ever, both starting from LP, and nothing nearly as cool as that long open slide in the video. how access that?