• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Griswold

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1485753740.016629.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1485753760.801202.jpg
A couple pics from Saturday. Awesome weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kbird

Killer, thanks for sharing! I hope the fluff keeps coming, my trip is slated for this weekend 2/4-2/5 8)

rocks860

Yesterday was very nice. Once again snowball/spring fling had amazing snow and even less traffic without valley house running. I skied north lynx yesterday and It was kind of icy up there. There's a good amount of snow on the mountain but underneath is pretty much solid ice so it's tough when it gets scraped off a bit. They could still use a big storm to build it up a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Los

Any recommendations on some easier glades to hit? We're going Friday to burn our Warren Miller vouchers, but we've gotten soft with all the time we've spent this year at Bretton Woods... I just don't want us to drop into anything too gnarly...

benski

Any recommendations on some easier glades to hit? We're going Friday to burn our Warren Miller vouchers, but we've gotten soft with all the time we've spent this year at Bretton Woods... I just don't want us to drop into anything too gnarly...

I would try Eden and Sap line at south or Semi-tough at north. You could also try Walts wood's or Brambles too, but both have very tempting riverbeds.

Duncanator24

If you are going to Mt Ellen, there is an unnamed section between Rim Run and Looking Good that is amazing. I use that as a warmup before heading to Exterminator woods. At Lincoln, I would definitely also recommend Eden all the way down to the bottom. There's also a pretty great easier section off of North Lynx, off the right side of Birch but that was real thin coverage by the end of this past weekend.

kbird

I'm interested in quite the opposite of Los, what are more difficult glades in terms of pitch or with drops? The map isn't much help really.

benski

I'm interested in quite the opposite of Los, what are more difficult glades in terms of pitch or with drops? The map isn't much help really.

Except for sap line all the on map glades next to blacks are more difficult.

bumpcrasher

I'm interested in quite the opposite of Los, what are more difficult glades in terms of pitch or with drops? The map isn't much help really.[/QUOTE

KBird: if you are looking for steep glades, the map should help a bit (I hope). Take a look at the glades off Super Bravo and they get increasingly steeper from looker’s left to right (Eden, Gangster’s Grotto/Sap Line, Christmas Tree, Stein’s Woods and Egan’s). Lew’s Line is also pretty steep and mellows out towards the bottom. Also, the woods off Heaven's Gate are all pretty steep.
On Mt Ellen, the lower mountain has more open woods/less pitch than the upper mountain (Bravo and Exterm Woods are pretty steep). For more off-map stuff, well, I really don’t want to put it online but hook up with a friendly local:razz::razz:

kbird

Except for sap line all the on map glades next to blacks are more difficult.
Thanks, I figured as much but then again I've never been there before.

KBird: if you are looking for steep glades, the map should help a bit (I hope). Take a look at the glades off Super Bravo and they get increasingly steeper from looker’s left to right (Eden, Gangster’s Grotto/Sap Line, Christmas Tree, Stein’s Woods and Egan’s). Lew’s Line is also pretty steep and mellows out towards the bottom. Also, the woods off Heaven's Gate are all pretty steep.
On Mt Ellen, the lower mountain has more open woods/less pitch than the upper mountain (Bravo and Exterm Woods are pretty steep). For more off-map stuff, well, I really don’t want to put it online but hook up with a friendly local:razz::razz:

Thanks for the reply also Bump! I know, it's a faux pas to point out secret stashes. If I had to guess, you're hinting at Church. I know where that is and would love to check it out, but I doubt the conditions would be favorable enough to try and ski it. I'm vaguely aware of some other stashes but of course as you said, it would be easier to find them with some locals :wink:

Minus the glades, in no particular order my must hit list is… (1) CASTLEROCK: all diamonds, especially lifeline and rumble (2): LINCOLN Paradise, Ripcord, Steins (3) ELLEN: fis, Exterminator.

Any other suggestions trail or glade wise?

Last edited:

benski

Thanks, I figured as much but then again I've never been there before.

Thanks for the reply also Bump! I know, it's a faux pas to point out secret stashes. If I had to guess, you're hinting at Church. I know where that is and would love to check it out, but I doubt the conditions would be favorable enough to try and ski it. I'm vaguely aware of some other stashes but of course as you said, it would be easier to find them with some locals :wink:

Minus the glades, in no particular order my must hit list is… (1) CASTLEROCK: all diamonds, especially lifeline and rumble (2): LINCOLN Paradise, Ripcord, Steins (3) ELLEN: fis, Exterminator.

Don't bother with Steins unless its groomed or soft, iciest bumps on the mountain. Go for Moonshine, the mall or Twist instead. Spills, and Bravo are also really nice. FIS is hit or miss. Ski lower rim run and take a at FIS and Black diamond before taking the lift up there.

kbird

Thanks advice benski! Noticed you're in Bingo, me too!

Plowboy said:
2 Pics of my son at Mt. Ellen yesterday. The upper snowpack is looking great!!!
WOW plowboy, AMAZING!:-o

cdskier

Don't bother with Steins unless its groomed or soft, iciest bumps on the mountain. Go for Moonshine, the mall or Twist instead. Spills, and Bravo are also really nice. FIS is hit or miss. Ski lower rim run and take a at FIS and Black diamond before taking the lift up there.

I'll echo a bit of what benski said. Steins is fun if there's fresh powder, but otherwise I would expect the bumps to be icy as it has not been groomed since they last made snow on it and has some very irregular piles and bumps at the moment. Ripcord I personally don't even understand why that one is really still rated a double-black. On weekends it is almost always groomed. Fun for a steep groomer, but hit it early in the morning before it gets scraped down to hardpack.

Don't overlook any of the natural snow single Diamonds (or even blues).

At Lincoln - Moonshine, Twist, the Mall and Spillsville are all good natural snow runs. Domino can be fun too.
At Mt Ellen - Hammerhead and Tumbler are good. Lower FIS (if you don't mind a traverse at the bottom) can also hold up well much longer than other trails due to lower skier traffic. Walt's and Semi-tough on the Inverness side are two natural snow trails that are a ton of fun as well.