• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It feels to me that the PR guy is a bit out of synch with the snowmaking strategy. The comments made (MRG, snow photos, skiing that day (Sometimes in the grass perhaps?) seem more personal than corporate. Stowe also asserts having a quality product and has no interested in being involved in the snow arms race. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't had his reigns pulled back.

HowieT2

It was on FB yesterday. Interestingly, I see the post:

But they took the picture down of their skiing at MRG, which looked pretty decent.

I guess my overall question is do you all think they are improving other things at the sacrifice of the ski product? If I was a homeowner there I'd probably shrug about a later opening and not being bullish with snowmaking because now I've got a ton of stuff to do in the summer and other things are better. But when I was a passholder I was only interested in getting onto the snow ASAP.

resoundingly, No. If the other major mtns were opening and SB was sitting on their hands, sure I would have a problem with it. But that's not the case. Kton is open but that is extremely limited. I was with a friend last night who skis 80+ days there, and while he did ski last weekend, he isn't going back until more terrain is open. The bottom line is that this is a weather issue effecting everyone in the northeast equally. SB has continually made modest improvements to the snowmaking system and has a reasonable strategy in deploying it. Of course, until mt ellen opens, the trail count will pale in comparison to others, but there isnt much demand until then anyway.

SIKSKIER

resoundingly, No. If the other major mtns were opening and SB was sitting on their hands, sure I would have a problem with it. But that's not the case. Kton is open but that is extremely limited. The bottom line is that this is a weather issue effecting everyone in the northeast equally.

This.I dont get your angle on this one TB.Everybody is having the same problem getting open and SB has almost never been a top 3 opener.

WWF-VT

I was at Sugarbush / Mt Ellen this weekend and didn't hear anything about issues with snowmaking. The guns are lined up and ready to go on the lower section of Inverness for GMVS. My guess is that the current snowmaking focus is on getting Lincoln Peak open.

jimmywilson69

I read on the MRV site that a rock got into the system somehow and blew out the main pump. 1-2 week repair/replacement time frame.

benski

I read on the MRV site that a rock got into the system somehow and blew out the main pump. 1-2 week repair/replacement time frame.

I did not see it on skimrv or on Facebook.

In terms of snowmaking the two mountains are to separate areas since the systems are not connected.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

WWF-VT

Agreed, I didn't see anything either. Is there another MRV site somewhere I don't know about?

Win referenced a water pipe break at Mt Ellen in a post on 11/15 and that it was supposed to be repaired last week. It must not have been be a big deal because no one mentioned it this weekend.

jimmywilson69

I saw it posted on Kzone, my mistake (too many ski websites to keep track of!!!). It was posted by a guy who works parking at both Killington and Sugarbush.

cdskier

They finally lifted the wind holds shortly after noon. Unfortunately not a whole lot you can do about wind. At least mid-season there's a better chance you'll find some lifts not impacted when there are wind holds.

BenedictGomez

It was windy as hell in the valley on Thursday and still very breezy (and warm) on Friday, it must have been crazy in the mountains.