• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

VTKilarney

Why would someone who isn’t a resident want school funding? Or a library etc? Specially in a ski town?
Therein lies the problem. It just seems odd to me that someone can be taxed and have absolutely no say in the matter.

Slidebrook87

I wonder if Steins is going to be open early season along with Spring Fling. It would give a great variety going from the trail off the carpet all the way to a difficult trail like Steins. I felt like they could’ve used at least one more trail last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slatham

I wonder if Steins is going to be open early season along with Spring Fling. It would give a great variety going from the trail off the carpet all the way to a difficult trail like Steins. I felt like they could’ve used at least one more trail last season.

Social distancing is the priority so Steins will not be hit until all lifts serviced by snowmaking are open IMHO.

HowieT2

Social distancing is the priority so Steins will not be hit until all lifts serviced by snowmaking are open IMHO.
If I recall correctly, last season, they didn’t hit steins until later in the program.

Slidebrook87

If I recall correctly, last season, they didn’t hit steins until later in the program.

I think they did too, but I was just wondering if it could be open this year given that it’s off of Valley House and has a pretty advanced snowmaking system.

Hawk

If you click on the base elevation of 1600 feet you will see that the low temps only go down to the upper 20's and only for a couple of days. We need the highs to go to the 20's for an extended period to have a window large enough to make good snow.

skiur

If you click on the base elevation of 1600 feet you will see that the low temps only go down to the upper 20's and only for a couple of days. We need the highs to go to the 20's for an extended period to have a window large enough to make good snow.

They could stockpile snow at the higher elevations, no need to blow top to bottom. Then when they get the good temps down low they are already halfway there.

Hawk

You don't understand how they operate. They will blow up top but they want to open the lower slopes of Spring fling and gate house first. Blowing up top is a last case thing these days for them.

djd66

Personally, I would rather they wait until there is consistent cold weather - rather then blowing too early, only to watch is wash out. Last year they opened Gatehouse and Spring fling early - anyone know if this is the plan for this year?

Hawk

Personally, I would rather they wait until there is consistent cold weather - rather then blowing too early, only to watch is wash out. Last year they opened Gatehouse and Spring fling early - anyone know if this is the plan for this year?

Yes. I went to community day and John Hammond said they will do the exact same thing as last year and that it work well for them.

tumbler

And they are going to stick to their snowmaking start date regardless of temps. I think it's Nov 6th.

tumbler

Yes. I went to community day and John Hammond said they will do the exact same thing as last year and that it work well for them.

I was skeptical about it working but I really liked it instead of Jester/Downspout.

slatham

You don't understand how they operate. They will blow up top but they want to open the lower slopes of Spring fling and gate house first. Blowing up top is a last case thing these days for them.

Agreed, they won't pull the plug on the plan unless we're into Nov with little production down low and only temps up top.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see some guns on this weekend, they'll certainly have temps at least at night.

And Mother Nature may throw in a few inches too.....

Last edited:

tumbler

Agreed, they won't pull the plug on the plan unless we're into Nov with little production down low and only temps up top.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see some guns on this weekend, they'll certainly have temps at least at night.

And Mother Nature may throw in a few inches too.....

Highly doubt they will fire up before their start date.