• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

STREETSKIER

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Got deep today ,in the early morning you could feel and hear the bottom by 11 it had snowed almost a foot and was quiet pretty busy things got tracked hard but they should fill in nicely tonight .more on the way they say !!winters last gasp ,hit some sweet lines up high today
Little Montana was prime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Julius

Here's my 14" painters stick at noon (lower mtn.) in what was a sun baked grassy area yesterday. It continued to puke remainder of the day and easily picked up a few more as the stick is now below.
cc2f7adee49f922b77efb08940fa933d.jpg

Last edited:

WinS

Here's my 14" painters stick at noon (lower mtn.) in what was a sun baked grassy area yesterday. It continued to puke remainder of the day and easily picked up a few more as the stick is now below.
cc2f7adee49f922b77efb08940fa933d.jpg

It was great yesterday. Unfortunately, today’s winds look terrible with gusts up to 50, so there will likely be a lot of windshield. Bummer because the powder is deep and fluffy.

WinS

Wind was ferocious today. Not much luck getting ME open other than Sunny Q. Did manage to get LP open as the morning progressed with the exception of North Lynx. With ME down the it is a lot more crowded than normal but still worth waiting for. Hopefully the wind moderates by tomorrow because there is a ton of fresh powder around.

rocks860

Man now I think I’m definitely going to have to make the trek up next weekend, although I hope this wet forecast isn’t accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flakeydog

Wind was whipping today. Kudos to Sugarbush for opening and keeping open the lifts we had today. I was worried on a few trips up that they would shut down again. It was crowded for sure but all things considered, a great day. Really, days like today just remind me of what lines are often like on normal days at other places. We are spoiled at Sugarbush when it comes to lines. Looking forward to basically ski-on lifts tomorrow at North.

Just out of curiosity, were North passes accepted today given Mg Ellen was essentially closed today? My opinion is they should be, even if it means I may have longer lines. It is just the right thing to do.

cdskier

Wind was whipping today. Kudos to Sugarbush for opening and keeping open the lifts we had today. I was worried on a few trips up that they would shut down again. It was crowded for sure but all things considered, a great day. Really, days like today just remind me of what lines are often like on normal days at other places. We are spoiled at Sugarbush when it comes to lines. Looking forward to basically ski-on lifts tomorrow at North.

Wind was definitely crazy. I was worried some lifts would go back on hold too. So glad they had almost all lifts open at Lincoln by late morning. Definitely spent far more time in lines today than usual, but each run was a quality run for sure. Was 7th or 8th chair up HG when it opened and had an awesome untracked run down ripcord!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

WinS

Just out of curiosity, were North passes accepted today given Mg Ellen was essentially closed today? My opinion is they should be, even if it means I may have longer lines. It is just the right thing to do.

No they were not. While we have on occasion allowed that when it is not that busy or we had a lift issue like the one we had with Northridge a few years ago, we did not yesterday. The Values Pass and ME college pass are sold a a large discount to the All-Mountain. As you know, yesterday, we started with VH and CR as the only lifts and gradually got all but North Lynx open by noon. Given the lines that were forming which were longer than normal, we decided it would not be fair to those who chose to buy an All-Mountain as a premium for the Value or ME College Pass. It is hard to say how many more would have been added but another 15-20% would have added quite a bit more volume.

Our lift mechanics tried everything they could to see if we could get more open than Sunny-Q but determined it was not safe. Interestingly we had about 1,000 scan on Sunny-Q.

Last edited:

hub8

Curious as to what's the #of scans on an average Saturday on Sunshine?

My son and I skied LP on Friday. Kept hoping to be on maybe first 10 chairs on Inverness or Green Mountain, but the wind never died down.

We got a lot of laps in though and the wait was never more than 10 minutes for us.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

tumbler

I’d be interested to know the Ikon % this weekend. There were a lot of them with their passes out and a lot of people I didn’t recognize. Started to hear the Ikon crowding grumbling during the day and at apres.

JDMRoma

I'm sure there were quite a few Ikons, I was one of them. But from what I'm hearing on the news, everywhere was very busy this weekend. Even stuff not on Epic or Ikon in New England due to the snow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Burke with 31+ and Cannon with over 20, typical weekend crowds.........so no not everywhere !

flakeydog

No they were not. While we have on occasion allowed that when it is not that busy or we had a lift issue like the one we had with Northridge a few years ago, we did not yesterday. The Values Pass and ME college pass are sold a a large discount to the All-Mountain. As you know, yesterday, we started with VH and CR as the only lifts and gradually got all but North Lynx open by noon. Given the lines that were forming which were longer than normal, we decided it would not be fair to those who chose to buy an All-Mountain as a premium for the Value or ME College Pass. It is hard to say how many more would have been added but another 15-20% would have added quite a bit more volume.

Our lift mechanics tried everything they could to see if we could get more open than Sunny-Q but determined it was not safe. Interestingly we had about 1,000 scan on Sunny-Q.

Not my call but I would have let them over as a good will gesture. Would not have bothered me even as a a “premium” passholder. I get the wind holds, things were swinging pretty good all day on the lifts that were open. Also begs the question, what happens when the parking lot at north fills up? Never seen the parking like that ever at North, crazy. The amazing part was the short lift lines after the early rush. Even the lodge is was not that crowded all things considered. Guess everyone was at the race? All in all, an amazing weekend for late March.

ryfitz47

Yeah the photos and posts on r/icecoast were a lot about lift lines. Massive everywhere
I'm sure there were quite a few Ikons, I was one of them. But from what I'm hearing on the news, everywhere was very busy this weekend. Even stuff not on Epic or Ikon in New England due to the snow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Burke with 31+ and Cannon with over 20, typical weekend crowds.........so no not everywhere !
Interesting your view since it was WMUR and they were at Cannon and Cannon said it was super busy for them. Guess it's just your typical media spin then. Thought lines were normal for a weekend yesterday at SB. Bit longer at South than North but not too bad.

JDMRoma

Interesting your view since it was WMUR and they were at Cannon and Cannon said it was super busy for them. Guess it's just your typical media spin then. Thought lines were normal for a weekend yesterday at SB. Bit longer at South than North but not too bad.

Yeah I was at Burke Saturday and it was busy for Burke but seriously nothing longer than 10 and for Cannon Sunday I dont remember any lines anywhere on the mountain !

Last edited:

WinS

Saturday we had about 7000 visits. About 800 of those skied Sunny-Q at ME, the only lift open. Had we allowed Value Passholders at LP we would have added 1,000-2,000 more we estimated and would be out of parking there and crested very long lift lines and lodge crowding. These is a reason the Value Pass costs less and is limited to ME on weekends and holidays.

Sunday had about 8,500 and there really were long lines with exception of CR and everyone was spread out. That’s what happens when all trails, the woods and all 16 lifts are open that transport over 25,000 people per hour. Ikon passholders have been running 6% of total visits this year (perhaps up a bit this weekend) and Mountain Collective far less and down from last year as we think many bought the Ikon instead. The largest group of skiers are our still own passholders and they came out in force on both days.

These numbers are what we see in February but last year and this March we have seen these numbers for the first time in a long time.

Hawk

I have no issues with Epic or Icon people at all. What that means to me is that many more of my friends that have never come to ski here at Sugarbush now come. It has been awesome to show them around and rip it up. I also did not have any issues at après as usual. If you are a regular and you tip well you get the service. Being loyal to a bartender at the pub pays dividends.
I never understand the philosophy of giving someone that took a specific discount to save money, the added benefits that someone paid full price for. This comes up every year with some of the ME only people, not all thought. These people paid far less then the full pass people so sorry but that is down side. Why do they need a good gesture? Are they being slighted by mother nature with the wind?
Also Machski, no heads up on the Sugarbush trip? Geeze.