The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 644

AlpineZone

Page 644 of 811 FirstFirst ... 144544594634642643644645646654694744 ... LastLast
Results 6,431 to 6,440 of 8108
    Quote Originally Posted by Slidebrook87 View Post
    Even to this day, [North Ridge Express] has so many issues. It won’t be long before it’s scrap metal. Most recently the grips have been having force issues which is a potential safety threat.
    You are asserting that NRX has been having malfunctioning grip problems (at least to some degree) on the detachable chairs. Source?

I meant Ursa at Stratton. It was one of only a few lifts built with Garaventa’s AK-680 grips which were poorly manufactured. According to my friend who’s a ski patroller at Stratton, there is almost always a grip force error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said “that lift” referring to Ursa which I made a comment about earlier in that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Slidebrook87 View Post
    I meant Ursa at Stratton. It was one of only a few lifts built with Garaventa’s AK-680 grips which were poorly manufactured. According to my friend who’s a ski patroller at Stratton, there is almost always a grip force error.
    Thanks for the clarification. I reread your post and see that I had read it wrong.

Alterra has been doing great things for Stratton so far. Snow Bowl replacement, turning an underutilized and poorly maintained lift (Solstice) into a useful one for this season, and hopefully replacing Tamarack and South American with a High Speed Quad. A summit lodge is also planned. So far they have brought in far better maintenance that has rebuilt a lot of the controls on lifts. Looking forward to seeing some similar changes at Sugarbush.

What did they do specifically with Solstice? I've never seen it run. Sorry to hijack the Bush thread for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    What did they do specifically with Solstice? I've never seen it run. Sorry to hijack the Bush thread for a minute.
    For many years it didn’t run very often and was essentially useless unless Sunrise went down. This past offseason, the lift’s controls were overhauled in order to prepare it for the season. In order to provide a new use, Shortcut
    Big Ben and Big Ben are now the mountain’s star terrain parks. This means that Solstice is now a park lift! It runs weekends so skiers can lap the park efficiently. I’m very pleased to see a simple, but very important upgrade made.

Another sidetrack post: on Sunday we will be driving from Sugarbush to Lake Placid. Has anyone done that drive before? Wondering what to expect. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by smac75 View Post
    Another sidetrack post: on Sunday we will be driving from Sugarbush to Lake Placid. Has anyone done that drive before? Wondering what to expect. Thx
    I've done it, but a quite a few years back. The drive takes a while (nominally 2.5 hours), and the roads are all secondary. Not quite half way, you cross the southern end of the Lake Champlain and start crossing Adirondack Park. I found the park a little unsettling. It has some pretty bleak and, by all appearances, dying towns. It is strangely non-commercial in an unhealthy, despairing way. Like time forgot the place. Lake Placid is nice and quite vibrant. Whiteface is an awesome mountain -- I think you'll be surprised at its size. Western type vertical. Please report back on your impressions after your trip. I'd be interested to hear.

The Gate House quad could profitably be a six pack since lines there are a nightmare on most winter Saturdays. The existing quad could be repurposed elsewhere on the mountain.

Thread Information