The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 669

AlpineZone

Page 669 of 811 FirstFirst ... 169569619659667668669670671679719769 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,690 of 8108
    The long range looks like we might see a shift. But who knows. We have been due for a really crappy year. I just hope it is not all of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The long range looks like we might see a shift. But who knows. We have been due for a really crappy year. I just hope it is not all of this year.
    I remember the winter that Claneil threw in the towel. Grass was growing under the Bravo lift on MLK weekend. We have always had January thaws but the multiple roller coasters this year are more than I remember. As we all know, forecasts more than some hours out can be very unreliable. That said our proprietary weather forecast is calling for “showers” during the day on Saturday and then rain overnight changing to snow. If there is no inversion the summits could see snow earlier. The forecast is calling for more “normal” temps and weather settling on next week. Stay tuned. At least we know the turns will be soft on Saturday. Stein’s and some others might be a nice as the last time we had a day like what is forecasted for Saturday.

stake_010819.jpg

Could certainly be better, but also worse...

Granted this is Mt Mansfield but you can see we are below average this year. For contrast, last year was great (upper line) but 2015-16 was definitely an off year (lower line).

I added 2006-07 in there because that was the year of the infamous Valentine's day storm followed by the St Patrick's day storm after. That season started out like this one and really ended up being "average" even though it is often cited as a great season. We shall see what happens in Feb-March. The long-range basically has most of the rest of January holding as it has been so far.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    It's New England, been happening as long as I can seriously remember (about '80 and on). All it takes is the Jet to ridge west and there ALWAYS seems to be a strong Low tracking in when it does.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    This will be the 4th large scale rain/thaw event since the beginning of December - fairly exceptional I think if you laid it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by flakeydog View Post

I added 2006-07 in there because that was the year of the infamous Valentine's day storm followed by the St Patrick's day storm after. That season started out like this one and really ended up being "average" even though it is often cited as a great season. We shall see what happens in Feb-March. The long-range basically has most of the rest of January holding as it has been so far.
    I was actually just thinking of that season last night. Back then I was only doing about 1 weekend a year at SB (and it happened to be St Patrick's weekend that year). Even though I was skiing all over the place, I still closely followed SB's conditions and weather. MLK was when the weather really turned around and if I remember correctly, one key to great conditions after that was the fact that temps did not really go above freezing from MLK until shortly before the St Patrick's day storm. So that helped preserve conditions nicely. St Patrick's day weekend that year also happened to be the first time I ever skied Castlerock. I was obviously a bit spoiled by that experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    This will be the 4th large scale rain/thaw event since the beginning of December - fairly exceptional I think if you laid it all out.
    ...and if the long range models are anywhere near close, it may not be the last either...

my recollection of '06-'07 is that it started off much worse than this season has. either way, it seems january is almost always up and down before things start to turn around super bowl weekend. Then the snowpack gets going around presidents day vacation week.
    I've been hedging my bets by going to bc the last 4 years in early to mid february. While I miss being at sb consistently all season, the snow out there has been dreamy.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    my recollection of '06-'07 is that it started off much worse than this season has. either way, it seems january is almost always up and down before things start to turn around super bowl weekend. Then the snowpack gets going around presidents day vacation week.
    I've been hedging my bets by going to bc the last 4 years in early to mid february. While I miss being at sb consistently all season, the snow out there has been dreamy.
    Yes, MLK was more like a well covered thanksgiving or a poor christmas, with many areas having little/no natural snow. Then at the end of the MLK weekend it flipped and pounded. But beforehand it looked it would be the worst season ever.
    2018/19 = 36
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

I remember the St pats storm. Met a bunch of people from Alta and JH on Chinclip at Stowe..why??..they were having having a crappy period..warm
    Chinclip was knee deep due to the gondi being out the day before.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    I remember the St pats storm. Met a bunch of people from Alta and JH on Chinclip at Stowe..why??..they were having having a crappy period..warm
    Chinclip was knee deep due to the gondi being out the day before.
    and easter too.

Thread Information