The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 680

AlpineZone

Page 680 of 739 FirstFirst ... 180580630670678679680681682690730 ... LastLast
Results 6,791 to 6,800 of 7384
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    This whole argument about the price of walk up day tickets is getting old. I really do not care at all. I have been buying a season pass for the better part of 33 years and have never had my daily cost go over $25 a day. If you are not savvy enough to find a deal that suits you then tough. Personally I hope skier visits go down so the crowds will go away. But what irks me the most is people think is it some kind of right or responsibility of the business owners to provide an inexpensive ticket to people. it is not and guess what, skiing is a very expensive operation for these people. I have zero issues with the pricing structure right now. It is is actually cheaper for me to ski right now then in the past. Well except for when I did college passes.
    Well said. I won't get down to $25 a day anytime soon, but I generally find value in what I pay per day for skiing, especially at a place like Sugarbush where, to me, the terrain is unmatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    But what irks me the most is people think is it some kind of right or responsibility of the business owners to provide an inexpensive ticket to people. it is not and guess what, skiing is a very expensive operation for these people.
    Yea...it also pisses me off when people think SB day ticket prices should be substantially lower than their neighbors for some reason. The "I'm not going to SB and going to go elsewhere due to high ticket prices at SB" argument doesn't hold water with me. Where are they going instead? K is nearly the same price. Stowe we know is higher. Sure they can go to Bolton and pay less, but it is also a much smaller resort. People that expect to pay Bolton prices at a major resort like SB are just living in fantasy land.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Yea...it also pisses me off when people think SB day ticket prices should be substantially lower than their neighbors for some reason. The "I'm not going to SB and going to go elsewhere due to high ticket prices at SB" argument doesn't hold water with me. Where are they going instead? K is nearly the same price. Stowe we know is higher. Sure they can go to Bolton and pay less, but it is also a much smaller resort. People that expect to pay Bolton prices at a major resort like SB are just living in fantasy land.
    I went to Stowe for the first time last season and paid $250 for an advanced online two-day ticket. The whole time I was there, I thought to myself how much of a better value Sugarbush is. Better terrain than both Stowe and Killington in my opinion.

The ticket window price horse is beaten, dead and still being beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Don't forget the For20s and For30s passes. We bought our son the For20s for $329 and he got 11 days out of it over Christmas.
    Amen to this. I started skiing SB exclusively after graduating college thanks to the For20's pass. Did many a 4:30am hungover Saturday wake up for day-trips from Boston when we were too broke to afford lodging. I don't think I would be a ~30 day per year skier if not not for that pass. It was the conduit to me falling in love w/ the Valley as a whole -- now coming up in the off-season to MTB and fly fish, and also patronizing the local businesses, restaurants, and breweries every weekend I'm up. I even met my fiance on the Summit Chair at Ellen 5 years ago. We've both skied SB every year since graduating college thanks to that pass; even during a 2 year stretch when living in TX b/c it was possible to come up and get good days in over the Xmas-New Year stretch. Now we're about to age out of For20's but are looking to buy a condo in the next year or 2 (once I make back those wedding bills lol). I'd go as far as saying that the affordable pass options have had an outsized impact on the economy of the Valley as a whole because I am sure there are many others in my shoes who have become repeat visitors, purchased real estate and become tax payers, etc.

I sincerely hope For20's and For30's stick around w/ Alterra.

Quote Originally Posted by CastlerockMRV View Post
    Amen to this. I started skiing SB exclusively after graduating college thanks to the For20's pass. Did many a 4:30am hungover Saturday wake up for day-trips from Boston when we were too broke to afford lodging. I don't think I would be a ~30 day per year skier if not not for that pass. It was the conduit to me falling in love w/ the Valley as a whole -- now coming up in the off-season to MTB and fly fish, and also patronizing the local businesses, restaurants, and breweries every weekend I'm up. I even met my fiance on the Summit Chair at Ellen 5 years ago. We've both skied SB every year since graduating college thanks to that pass; even during a 2 year stretch when living in TX b/c it was possible to come up and get good days in over the Xmas-New Year stretch. Now we're about to age out of For20's but are looking to buy a condo in the next year or 2 (once I make back those wedding bills lol). I'd go as far as saying that the affordable pass options have had an outsized impact on the economy of the Valley as a whole because I am sure there are many others in my shoes who have become repeat visitors, purchased real estate and become tax payers, etc.

I sincerely hope For20's and For30's stick around w/ Alterra.
    Similar situation here. I'm a bit older (getting close to aging out of the For 30s pass!), but the For 20s pass the first year it was offered was what drove me to decide to buy a condo in the valley (I already loved SB and the valley at that point, but an extremely affordable pass is what gave me the push to say "hey, maybe I should buy something up here and make it my home mountain" . I went from a 3 or 4 day a year SB skier prior to that For 20s pass coming out to a 40+ day a year skier now that spends a considerable amount of time (and money) in the valley.

Look, I have a season pass and have for many years. I haven't bought a window price day ticket at Sugarbush in at least a decade. The whole window rate discussion is related to its relative expense as related to other ways of acquiring a day's (or a season's) access to the mountain. It is not helpful for pass holders to wave around that they are only paying $10 a day because they ski so much, etc. It comes across as a little smug and self-serving; it is a bit like saying "hey, I've got mine, so I don't give a crap about the casual skier". Well, $10 or $25 as an average source of revenue all the skier days would put SB out of business fast, so you are getting a subsidy if your costs are that low. So have some tolerance for those that might not like the idea of anyone paying $129 for a day.

I get it too that SB is aligned with the greater industry in charging much increased window rates. I am not asking for SB to atone for the industry trend. I just lament that the trend is a little ugly for the casual skier.

Quote Originally Posted by CastlerockMRV View Post
    I even met my fiance on the Summit Chair at Ellen 5 years ago.
    I love hearing this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    Well, $10 or $25 as an average source of revenue all the skier days would put SB out of business fast, so you are getting a subsidy if your costs are that low. So have some tolerance for those that might not like the idea of anyone paying $129 for a day.

I get it too that SB is aligned with the greater industry in charging much increased window rates. I am not asking for SB to atone for the industry trend. I just lament that the trend is a little ugly for the casual skier.
    Maybe not so much. Using some rough numbers, if Sugarbush gets 400k skier visits, and the ratio to unique skiers is about 7:1, then there are 57,000 unique skiers at Sugarbush. If all those 57,000 skiers bought a $900 pass, and zero day tickets were sold, that's 51 million in pass revenue. Somehow I think Sugarbush could run on that. So each passholder's contribution is a reasonable percentage of seasonal revenue on a per skier basis, even though the cost per day might be lower for a high volume user.

The industry is rewarding a lack of spontaneity in how they sell tickets. They want advance commitment, and an earlier revenue stream. Until that changes, window prices are going to be rough.

Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    Maybe not so much. Using some rough numbers, if Sugarbush gets 400k skier visits, and the ratio to unique skiers is about 7:1, then there are 57,000 unique skiers at Sugarbush. If all those 57,000 skiers bought a $900 pass, and zero day tickets were sold, that's 51 million in pass revenue.
    Sure, if each pass holder skied only 7 days (400k / 57k). If each skied 21 days, lift lines would triple. You want that?

Thread Information