• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Murphys should have fine cover/depth. They just finished making snow on it last weekend. Other than some bumps skier's right where they don't groom, it will be pretty flat. Midweek it isn't groomed every day, but on the weekend it often is frequently freshly groomed each night.

As for crowds this Sunday...well...we need to see what happens with the weather. I'm not particularly optimistic that this is going to be the powder day people were expecting just a few days ago. Right now the latest models are definitely showing some non-snow precip types for a period Saturday night. If that ends up becoming reality, Sunday could be pretty damn well empty.

Generally speaking though, Sundays are much less crowded than Saturday to begin with. (And crowds on a typical Saturday are rarely an issue at ME, so Sunday would be even less of a concern).

thanks, I agree on the weather, man it looked great 3-4 days ago, as soon as I bought the extra day at MT ellen, it went downhill lol. sorry everyone! ;)

skiur

I'm headed up Sunday and Monday, was hoping someone who skied recently could let me know how the conditions are. Me and my kids stick to the blue trails on both mountains but may try some of the less challenging single diamond trails this time.

We will be skiing both mountains over the two days.

Especially interested in what Murphys glade looks like these days, bumpiness, cover depth etc.

Also, I have never skied Sugarbush on a weekend day, last-minute decision because of the weather made us decide to come up and ski Sunday on a Mount Ellen only ticket. Curious what to expect rthere as far as the lift lines on a Sunday. Jammed, super jammed or you're gonna regret it LOL. I'm expecting pretty long lines because of the weekend day and the weather that day.

One online purchase and one of my quad packs at work!

Thanks all

Murphys should have fine cover/depth. They just finished making snow on it last weekend. Other than some bumps skier's right where they don't groom, it will be pretty flat. Midweek it isn't groomed every day, but on the weekend it often is frequently freshly groomed each night.

As for crowds this Sunday...well...we need to see what happens with the weather. I'm not particularly optimistic that this is going to be the powder day people were expecting just a few days ago. Right now the latest models are definitely showing some non-snow precip types for a period Saturday night. If that ends up becoming reality, Sunday could be pretty damn well empty.

Generally speaking though, Sundays are much less crowded than Saturday to begin with. (And crowds on a typical Saturday are rarely an issue at ME, so Sunday would be even less of a concern).

Is Murphys glade not a glade or are you saying that sugarbush makes snow in the woods?

CastlerockMRV

It's not really a glade. I don't remember it very well but I think there's just a few bunches of trees here and there.

I believe it was one of several trails originally cut to be reminiscent of Western style open glades. Another example would be Sleeper off of Gate House. However when snow-making and more importantly grooming became big things those trees became cumbersome to maneuver a cat around and were thinned substantially.

BenedictGomez

Is Murphys glade not a glade or are you saying that sugarbush makes snow in the woods?

Murphy's Glade is not even remotely close to gladed terrain, which confuses everyone the first time they ski Sugarbush, I'm sure. Not sure why they havent changed the name to Murphy's Trail or Murphy's Run, but they 100% should.

I believe it was one of several trails originally cut to be reminiscent of Western style open glades........ those trees became cumbersome to maneuver a cat around and were thinned substantially.

Well that really is a shame if that's the case.

Still, the worst example of, "Ski Area Bosses Destroying A Trail" is and will forever go to Liftline at Stowe.

Hawk

Murphy's Glade is one of the original trails at Sugarbush. It was cut and named after one of the original founders, Jack Murphy. It is in fact a trail with trees that you ski in and around so it is actually a glade but a shade of it's original layout. It was never thinned on purpose. The thinning was a by product of blowing machine made snow and Ice on the trees bringing them down and also exposure to high winds. Just because you don't feel it exactly meets your standard of a glade, that is no reason to change the traditional name that has been here since 1958.

cdskier

Looks like everyone else answered this before I got around to looking back at this thread to see this. I'm intrigued though that you picked up on the snow-making part but missed the mention of them grooming it as well. :lol: Making snow in the woods wouldn't be entirely impossible (but certainly not a great idea). Grooming in the woods however would take some serious skill (and miniature groomers!)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not sure I agree with Stowe Lift Line being the worst design screw up, but it's up there. I mean it was already pretty wide back in 1960 when they put the double chair in.

My vote for worst is definitely Double Dipper at Killington with Superstar and Ovation not too far behind it.

B9316383286Z.1_20150304210110_000_GA6A29VV4.1-0.jpg

Hawk

The trail was widened on both sides to fit the groomers and is not a massively wide. The original trail was thinner with a lot more trees. There is also more than just a handful of a lonely trees. You exaggerate how it actually is. You should ski it.

I will never stop calling it Murphys Glade.

bdfreetuna

Making snow in the woods wouldn't be entirely impossible (but certainly not a great idea).

I often wonder how certain tree skiing that is right next to snowmaking trails indirectly benefits. And if a keen operations manager ever does this intentionally. When you see those snowmaking clouds kicking up you know some of it's going in there.

Woods tend to hold snow better in the spring (more shade) so it's not the worst idea in some cases.

slatham

I've always thought ski areas should cut glades on the down wind side of snowmaking trails. "Side Glades". Also a great way to introduce skiers to glade skiing without literally throwing them into the woods.

The trail was widened on both sides to fit the groomers and is not a massively wide. The original trail was thinner with a lot more trees. There is also more than just a handful of a lonely trees. You exaggerate how it actually is. You should ski it.

I will never stop calling it Murphys Glade.

so it sounds like you're telling us this benedork gomez guy speaks like he's the utmost authority on shit he knows nothing about...

huh...

mikec142

Personally I love Sleeper, Birch, and Murphy’s. I love those widely spaced trees. I can see both sides of things here. While I have no issue referring to Murphy’s by its full name, I would say these three trails qualify as trails with trees. Whereas Eden or Deeper Sleeper or Evans Woods, etc. classify as glades. But it’s all good. I like to ski it all. My first choice warm up is birch to sleeper.

FWIW, of those three trails, Murphy’s is my least fav. It’s because I usually find the bottom to be very scrapey. But I’m picking at nits here.

BenedictGomez

so it sounds like you're telling us this benedork gomez guy speaks like he's the utmost authority on shit he knows nothing about...

Wow! Someone's really butthurt from that other thread. LOL

EDIT: And I am correct, Murphy's Glade would not be considered a "glade" by pretty much anyone who skis glades. Also, it's a rather wide trail. With scant trees on it.

My first choice warm up is birch to sleeper.

We do the same thing. Absolutely love that run. Especially if the diamond sleeper part has some baby moguls.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member

huh...
That's not true. BG IS the utmost authority on virtually any subject. Just ask him. Big brain on that guy. Tremendous IQ. No one knows more about all the things than he does.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

HowieT2

Personally I love Sleeper, Birch, and Murphy’s. I love those widely spaced trees. I can see both sides of things here. While I have no issue referring to Murphy’s by its full name, I would say these three trails qualify as trails with trees. Whereas Eden or Deeper Sleeper or Evans Woods, etc. classify as glades. But it’s all good. I like to ski it all. My first choice warm up is birch to sleeper.

FWIW, of those three trails, Murphy’s is my least fav. It’s because I usually find the bottom to be very scrapey. But I’m picking at nits here.

same here. dont know what it is about murphy's but I rarely hit it.