• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

bdfreetuna

I wonder what you consider technical skiing if not avoiding obstacles on challenging terrain with variable conditions...

Almost as if I haven't been keeping a very close eye on MRG conditions and know they are pretty sweet (if technical) right now. You must be kidding me or just a blow hard.

bdfreetuna

yup there’s been no safe or decent tree skiing this season...View attachment 26112

Where's that pic? I want to say it looks familiar but I can't place it.

You were skiing West Pilot glades @ Stratton and all the other woods just a day or two ago, no?

I would have too

I'm going somewhere Wednesday and somewhere in NH Thursday. MRG is a top 3 option for Wednesday. I got 2 passes to use this season so wouldn't be a bad idea. Let's see how the upslope goes next day or two.

ducky

Ha ha. Not a person at SB gets through the trees with same finesse or speed than Street. Ask Egan. He's only been doing 120 days a year for the last 30+ years.

bdfreetuna

Ha ha. Not a person at SB gets through the trees with same finesse or speed than Street. Ask Egan. He's only been doing 120 days a year for the last 30+ years.

I don't doubt it. Just doesn't come across that way calling MRG current conditions trash (when 100% terrain open and looks beautiful and MRG is saying it skis sweet) and then claiming to be #1 technical skier.

Some people are paradoxical though.

KustyTheKlown

That pic is beaver pond glades at Jay on 1/18. I skied all the Stratton woods on 1/25. They skied fine, just thin. More fun than groomers. Safer now packed down vs right after the snow. Treacherous when it looks fresh but it’s full of snakes.

West Pilot6F64FF27-6CB4-4FFA-AF67-336E7F9BB9A0.jpg

ducky

I don't doubt it. Just doesn't come across that way calling MRG current conditions trash (when 100% terrain open and looks beautiful and MRG is saying it skis sweet)

With MRG regulars last night (both eternally optimistic shareholders) who told me it was "rugged" and "grassy" ...but the 2" today made a big difference for sure. Might go Tuesday on my teles and see.

cdskier

I don't doubt it. Just doesn't come across that way calling MRG current conditions trash (when 100% terrain open and looks beautiful and MRG is saying it skis sweet) and then claiming to be #1 technical skier.

As for looks, it is quite easy for something to "look" far better than it really is. Where do you see MRG saying the woods are skiing sweet anyway?

I'm a bit amazed that people that haven't been there recently are questioning people that either live in the valley or at least ski in the valley quite a bit...

bdfreetuna

A trip report was posted only a few days ago including photos of Paradise and other glades steeps and the only thing that looked rocky was Lower Antelope. I find MRG to have the most detailed and honest snow report in the game and they've been saying it's sweet albeit thin base. The webcam clearly depicts the woods are covered in snow regardless of the depth. What else is there to know?

Different standards for different folks. It's frankly retarded to start an argument because I said I'd be skiing woods up there right now.

So some of you wouldn't... I don't give a shit... I happen to like it bony and hairy when I'm not skiing powder

Have fun debating would you ski the woods right now vs. not, I'll check back in...

Last edited:

MorningWoods

As for looks, it is quite easy for something to "look" far better than it really is. Where do you see MRG saying the woods are skiing sweet anyway?

I'm a bit amazed that people that haven't been there recently are questioning people that either live in the valley or at least ski in the valley quite a bit...

I know right. Anyway, today’s snow made a HUGE difference. Perfect recipe. And looks like some more has fallen since closure. Took a ride down Rumble, was pleasantly surprised how much snow it was holding. Maybe next weekend will see the cr lift running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyr

I'm not sure how it looks up there now but I was at MRG last weekend. The glades were pretty full of snow. Some spots were icy underneath but the snow in the woods were good, much better than the non gladed trails which were scratchy underneath. The trees to the skiers left of Paradise had knee deep snow in some areas.

BenedictGomez

Approximately 100. GMX has two diesel motors. That is why we are able to run it and at about the same speed as on electical. One motor runs the lift and the other is the auxiliary.

Wow, that's not bad at all, I definitely would have lost an Over/Under bet on that guess.

Hawk

I skied all over this weekend. Castlerock, paradise, Heweys, gangstas, Christmas tree woods, and some low angel stuff. At the best case there is about 18" of snow and in most areas less. I hit all kinds of shit. logs stumps rocks. Enough so that I gave up and just skied trails. At sugarbush and mad river there really is not enough snow just yet and if you do ski the woods you are risking injury. I don't care how good you are.

The good news was that we didn't really have any rain this weekend. Maybe a touch at the bottom but a total net gain with mostly sleet, grapple and snow.

Plowboy

Ha ha is right!! Street has been rippin it up at SB since 1982. Doesn't have to claim to be # 1 technical...He is # 1 finesse and speed in the trees though!!!!

bdfreetuna

Nope. He wins. I'm not going to beat the best skier at Sugarbush.

I figured my comment would be taken as a joke by most level-headed individuals. Wonder what it's like inside the head of the best skier who's insecure about that fact on an anonymous internet forum...

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
you already posted "only an idiot would ski them". Again, MRG has 100% terrain open next door with zero snowmaking. Maybe you're not a great technical skier in the woods... that's fine

hey hey now, MRG makes snow.....

CastlerockMRV

Sunday was a fantastic day at Mt. Ellen! Groomers were fast and grippy and skied the best they have all year IMO, also early runs down Exterminator were excellent before getting skied off around 10:30-11. We also had lots of fun jibbing around Walts too and lapped that 3 or 4 times to end the day. Probably the best trail at the Bush for "my legs are shot but I still want to mess around" type skiing IMO.

ducky

Nope. He wins. I'm not going to beat the best skier at Sugarbush.

I figured my comment would be taken as a joke by most level-headed individuals. Wonder what it's like inside the head of the best skier who's insecure about that fact on an anonymous internet forum...

He didn't say it. I did about him. You should really know who it is you are trashing.

Today was the best day of the year. Even got in the woods up high.

Tuna, if you can make it up to MRG Weds, it will def be a good day to use those tickets.