• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

IceEidolon

It might be more economical to build a small or midsize pumped storage system - use pumps to move water to an upper pond, then use that water for hydro power later. Also it can be used to gravity feed snowmaking on the lower mountain. You'd need to navigate a minefield of regulation, though, to build a pond high enough and large enough to work well.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

HowieT2

It might be more economical to build a small or midsize pumped storage system - use pumps to move water to an upper pond, then use that water for hydro power later. Also it can be used to gravity feed snowmaking on the lower mountain. You'd need to navigate a minefield of regulation, though, to build a pond high enough and large enough to work well.

pumped water storage is probably cheaper but in no way practical for this application.

IceEidolon

Back of the envelope math: at $400/kwh per https://www.energysage.com/solar/solar-energy-storage/what-do-solar-batteries-cost/ using 2000 hp between pumps and compressors, 1491.4 kw × 5 hours × $400/kwh battery cost, 2,982,800 cost for a battery bank able to run a reasonably sized snowmaking system through a curtailment. Larger systems and a larger safety factor would cost more.

Jiminy Peak and Seven Springs both use gravity feed pumped storage, but for direct water supply rather than power generation. Being on forest service land or site geography may make pumped storage impractical for a given resort. https://www.saminfo.com/the-magazine/this-issue/item/164930-the-power-of-water goes into this in more detail.

jaybird

Saw bunch of timber on the ground on the way over there .. sadly

Couple decent squawls on paradise mid afternoon today.
Troughs are filling in ..

Superb overall :thumbup:

cdskier

Castlerock is open, I hiked it today. However you can't ski any portion of the long trail. There are alot of trees down.

How were the conditions on CR itself? I noticed the sign at the top of HG this morning saying the hike was walking only due to trees down on the long trail.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Hawk

Out of curiosity, any idea who maintains that trail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is a joint effort. I have seen patrollers using hand saws to clean up blow downs. I have also seen fellow skiers doing it on a volunteer basis. I myself have even moved a few downed trees. it is after all, our forest.

WinS

Quick update. Curtailments has been called off tonight. This is great for the snowmaking team and means that 1.5 -2million more gallons can be pumped out tonight.

Wundebar will be open Saturday this weekend and then to regular schedule next weekend.

Rumble's had a lucheon buffet last weekend which was very well received, so we will be doing that again tomorrow. Give it a try and give us your feedback.

Last edited:

djd66

Cold skiing today, but awesome conditions! Where was everyone today? Trails and lift lines were like a Monday. My guess is there were so many lifts/ trails open that it completely spread out the small amount of people skiing today.

WinS

Cold skiing today, but awesome conditions! Where was everyone today? Trails and lift lines were like a Monday. My guess is there were so many lifts/ trails open that it completely spread out the small amount of people skiing today.

Yes, for this time of year we had a nice number of skier visit (3,300). Last week we had 50% more because of the ideal conditions and warmer temps. But still much better than last year and what we normally see. Tomorrow looks warmer.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
They were all in the lodge! As you said...very minimal liftlines or people on the hill. I went in for lunch at 12:30...thinking I still had the "early season" lack of crowds...nope.

Great skiing on Morning Star lift today. Sunny and fresh snow. Everything else pretty scratchy and cold. Only my 4th day at Sugarbush ever...I get more and more impressed each time. Absolutely lovely place.

benski

They were all in the lodge! As you said...very minimal liftlines or people on the hill. I went in for lunch at 12:30...thinking I still had the "early season" lack of crowds...nope.

Great skiing on Morning Star lift today. Sunny and fresh snow. Everything else pretty scratchy and cold. Only my 4th day at Sugarbush ever...I get more and more impressed each time. Absolutely lovely place.

3,300 is not a massive crowd for a midwinter weekend, and having lots of moguls, and good conditions keep people from zooming back to the lift after getting off.

Hawk

Skiing was great. Especially if you went to areas that no one has been. We got out real early both days and the conditions overall were much better than expected. The 4"-6" that they got went a long way.
So you're not going to believe this, but I have to say that the snowmaking on lower organ grinder was very good. It seems that they got the mix right for most of the trail. We did several runs on it before people figured it out and they were some of the best turns I had. I have to give credit where credit is due. Snowmaking is hard work.

HowieT2

Skiing was great. Especially if you went to areas that no one has been. We got out real early both days and the conditions overall were much better than expected. The 4"-6" that they got went a long way.
So you're not going to believe this, but I have to say that the snowmaking on lower organ grinder was very good. It seems that they got the mix right for most of the trail. We did several runs on it before people figured it out and they were some of the best turns I had. I have to give credit where credit is due. Snowmaking is hard work.

conditions were great. hiked over to CR and middle earth was about the best Ive ever experienced outside a powder day. ample base in the woods and nice cover. hit paradise woods, enchanted forest and between og and spills.. All were excellent.

KustyTheKlown

didnt ski bush this weekend, but was at killington saturday, and the ~6-8" they got in 2" spurts over the week was tremendous for the woods. everything skied untracked and soft, but with a solid layer underneath. totally manageable and quite enjoyable.

HowieT2

forget to mention. went lawson's saturday evening. amazing. even better than I had hoped it would be.

HowieT2

How crowded was it?
It was packed but not uncomfortably so because they were controlling the number of people they allowed in. There was a "bouncer" at the door, someone at the junction between the retail store and the beer hall (for lack of a better term) and there was parking lot attendant directing traffic. So it was busy, but we didnt have to wait to get in and got a small table.

ThinkSnow

Ok, that was what I was wondering about (crowd management). Apparently they have to manage the number of people inside due to fire code.