• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

Yellow license plate crew finding the stashes!

raw

Coming from a white plate guy- oh the irony!

Whitey

LOL...a secret stash that is marked on the trail maps! Very sneaky!

You guys are being too hard on Duncan. I think his point was that no one had any expectations of getting into the woods this weekend or if they did - it being any good. He found some woods that skied well and no one else was in there - good for him.

I was at Bolton Valley 2 yrs ago on a bitterly cold (like -10 at the base cold) day. It was rock hard all over and not skiing that great. I dropped into one of the glades runs (Adam's Paradise, I think) and it was really good. No one was skiing the woods that day so it really felt like I "discovered" something that day even though it was marked trail.

dlague

You guys are being too hard on Duncan. I think his point was that no one had any expectations of getting into the woods this weekend or if they did - it being any good. He found some woods that skied well and no one else was in there - good for him.

I was at Bolton Valley 2 yrs ago on a bitterly cold (like -10 at the base cold) day. It was rock hard all over and not skiing that great. I dropped into one of the glades runs (Adam's Paradise, I think) and it was really good. No one was skiing the woods that day so it really felt like I "discovered" something that day even though it was marked trail.
Well that is a different perspective. It did not come off that way. Sounded like a secret stash post.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Duncanator24

Thanks, yeah this is exactly what I meant. I didn't even see anyone on Exterminator let alone in the woods. So it really felt like a hidden treasure. Little tongue in cheek to say it's a "secret". I post here to let people know how it is, just trying to help since that's why I read here anyways. The snow report is not exactly an unbiased opinion so this is nice to see "on the ground" reporting. I highly recommend checking out the stash there, it was fun!

cdskier

Thanks, yeah this is exactly what I meant. I didn't even see anyone on Exterminator let alone in the woods. So it really felt like a hidden treasure. Little tongue in cheek to say it's a "secret". I post here to let people know how it is, just trying to help since that's why I read here anyways. The snow report is not exactly an unbiased opinion so this is nice to see "on the ground" reporting. I highly recommend checking out the stash there, it was fun!

Hah...hard to tell sometimes just reading something without having verbal tones and facial expressions.

I agree about the snow-report. Years ago it was much better. There's very little real substance to it about the conditions themselves these days.

tumbler

Hah...hard to tell sometimes just reading something without having verbal tones and facial expressions.

I agree about the snow-report. Years ago it was much better. There's very little real substance to it about the conditions themselves these days.

That's why I read the MRG one to get the real story on snow conditions and fill in the gaps on the SB one.

Shots fired! But so true. I can't imagine the snow is much different over there, I guess they just have higher standards for staying open. Plus blowing almost no snow probably doesn't help.

No shot intended, I love MRG! I sometimes ski at Mt. Ellen in the morning and then go have lunch at General Stark's Pub. It's more of a lament. I'm counting things to turn around for them and us by the end of the month.

cdskier

I'm sure the top of the mountain at MRG is skiable...the problem is the bottom. You can't ski the top without there being enough snow on the bottom. Sugarbush has their lower elevation natural trails closed. They have snowmaking though on a good portion of their lower mountain trails which allows them plenty of trails to keep open, while MRG is much more limited with what they make snow on so needs more help from mother nature at the lower elevations to be able to open (or stay open).

Duncanator24

Castle Rock is spinning today, guess the snow fall from this storm is pretty good! Maybe I will have to head up again this coming weekend before the rain comes again.

cdskier

Meanwhile MRG is warning people not to skin up while they are closed as they say the base is icy and dangerous. The video Sugarbush posted on Facebook of Cotillion looked awfully nice though.

cdskier

Looks like MRG had a better chance to re-asses conditions. They are now re-opening tomorrow.

I'm jealous WWF. I'm stuck working and looking at webcams and forums wishing I was on the slopes. It may not be too much snow, but I bet it skied really nice especially with no one around mid-week.

WWF-VT

Was the best 4+" of snow that I have skied in a while....it was really quiet for the first hour. Second run of the day was Northstar which was perfect surfing density snow.

attachment.php

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Brambles was my pick of the day today, definitely worth the traverse over there via Northway. Thank god I had a couple skiers with me to "slingshot" me along. Even braved Which Way, which was very nice. The base on that run is still ice but you didn't hit it... some nice dense snow, just what we needed. Well, another 1'+ would do wonders as well. Upper Lookin' Good was the worst run, and even that wasn't terrible... better than just about any run last year. Cliffs was nice as well.

Driving by the LP parking lot in the AM, the cars were stacking up. ME not nearly as much. And it showed. I bet the freshies at LP got skied off by noon.

rocojerry

Was the best 4+" of snow that I have skied in a while....it was really quiet for the first hour. Second run of the day was Northstar which was perfect surfing density snow.

attachment.php

Nice!!

hope by the weekend the mtn is still in good shape, looking forward to my first Sugarbush days!