• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

We are not pass holders (maybe next year) but our family skied Sugarbush 7 days this year and had a great time every day we skied there. Thanks for making the mountain such a great place to be along your contributions here on this forum Win, see you next year!

Tony

Tony,

I feel the same way. Sugarbush is 5.5 hours from my house and I regularly make the drive. My friends from home (NJ) don't understand why I'm not satisfied with Mount Snow or Stratton (both fun). But there's something special about SB and MRG that make me want to spend as much time there as possible.

bumpcrasher

Are both Heaven's Gate and Super Bravo done for the season?? I understand Super B has some maintenance issues yet the coverage on Heaven's Gate seemed good enough to keep it rolling and can get there via reverse traverse.

cdskier

Are both Heaven's Gate and Super Bravo done for the season?? I understand Super B has some maintenance issues yet the coverage on Heaven's Gate seemed good enough to keep it rolling and can get there via reverse traverse.

While Reverse Traverse is still open, HG Traverse was listed closed yesterday on the report so I suspect that trail and therefore access to HG is now the main problem even if there's still plenty of snow on the HG trails themselves.

WWF-VT

While Reverse Traverse is still open, HG Traverse was listed closed yesterday on the report so I suspect that trail and therefore access to HG is now the main problem even if there's still plenty of snow on the HG trails themselves.

Yep...HG Traverse is done. Rode the HG chair yesterday and patroller said it was the last day for the season. The HG Traverse was very bare looking uphill and it was closed on the Lower OG entrance.

bumpcrasher

Yep...HG Traverse is done. Rode the HG chair yesterday and patroller said it was the last day for the season. The HG Traverse was very bare looking uphill and it was closed on the Lower OG entrance.

Well, not having Heaven's Gate for the next two weekends is kind of a buzzkill. Organgrinder and Ripcord were likely deep enough to make it through this weekend at least. Thanks for the information!!

Hawk

What does heaven gate traverse have to do with it? Is Bravo done for the year? If not they need Downspout - upper jester or Lower Downspout-lower jester.

WWF-VT

What does heaven gate traverse have to do with it? Is Bravo done for the year? If not they need Downspout - upper jester or Lower Downspout-lower jester.

Bravo is in scheduled maintenance mode. Valley House is the only option.

WWF-VT

Well, not having Heaven's Gate for the next two weekends is kind of a buzzkill. Organgrinder and Ripcord were likely deep enough to make it through this weekend at least. Thanks for the information!!

Organgrider was in good shape....bunch of "crevasse" like breaks in the snow. Ripcord was thin entering at the top and there were a few breaks happening down lower and the final stretch to the lift was closed.

cdskier

Bravo is in scheduled maintenance mode. Valley House is the only option.

Yea...they said a week or so ago that after Easter weekend they were starting "off-season" maintenance on Bravo so it is ready for the summer. That's the major downside of that lift being used all year. We sometimes lose it for the end of ski season (which really only matters if HG still would be skiable, otherwise just VH is fine).

yes, no upper mtn = bummer

teleo

That is a bummer. If there is enough snow up top, just make valley house traverse go up. Nice little skin with very little vertical.

Hawk

So this is all speculation until Win goes on the record. Unless the snow is gone, why would no not run Bravo on the weekend so we can ski HG. Schedule the maintenance one week later. I bet the dam thing is broken.

teleo

He sort of already did in case you missed his blog post from 4-18 at https://www.sugarbush.com/blog/wins-word/sunshine-and-soft-snow-bring-the-people/

Since we need to begin summer maintenance on Bravo, next week we will move over to the Valley House Quad and if conditions still allow we will keep Heaven’s Gate spinning with access via Reverse Traverse and Heaven’s Gate Traverse. Unless the rain does more damage that we expect, this should be possible, hopefully with skiing still available on Downspout. We will plan to run these lifts every day if possible right through Sunday, April 28th and then reopen Valley House for the next weekend and our grand finale with both skiing and golf along with some fun après. [emoji23]

cdskier

So this is all speculation until Win goes on the record. Unless the snow is gone, why would no not run Bravo on the weekend so we can ski HG. Schedule the maintenance one week later. I bet the dam thing is broken.

Not speculation at all. It was actually even longer ago than I thought that Win shared the plan here on this forum...Here's what he said right here back on March 29:

We are planning to stay open everyday through 4/28 and then reopen for a final Cinco de Mayo weekend. Terrain and lifts will be scaling down after 4/14. If the snow holds we will likely run Bravo, Heaven's Gate and Castlerock through the 21st. After that we will need to begin summer maintenance on Bravo and will go to Valley House. If the terrain holds up we will keep HG and CR going with access across Reverse Traverse. Given the depth on Stein's, Coffee Run, Upper Snowball and Spring Fling those should hold up though 5/5 unless we get some incredible warm days and nights.

And, remember that on Monday, April 1st we go to spring hours. 10am-5pm midweek and 9am to 5pm weekends.

HowieT2

anyone know the status of the biking trails in the valley?
mad river riders posted last week that they were closed but trailforks says otherwise.

WinS

Not speculation at all. It was actually even longer ago than I thought that Win shared the plan here on this forum...Here's what he said right here back on March 29:

Yes, That is what I said awhile ago. Summer maintenance takes that long and we have to have it inspected prior to opening for the summer. This is the first time that we have remained opened everyday the final week. We have normally closed and skiied VH the final two weekends.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
anyone know the status of the biking trails in the valley?
mad river riders posted last week that they were closed but trailforks says otherwise.

still closed. The local sports fields are just now drying up. I would expect another week or two at least for any trails to open.

WWF-VT

Reports that I saw on Trailforks were from the Fall of 2018. I took my dog for a short hike last weekend on the Catamount Trail and it was a wet, muddy mess with lots of water flowing on sections of the trail.

WinS

I guess you gotta pay attention to these things. Still a shame that Hg is not open. I was looking forward to it.

Agreed. I said goodbye to all the trails on Sunday. Stein's is skiing great yesterday and today.