• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

djd66

Yes that was my video. I was not trying to bash Win in any way, but I was talking about how Slide Brook has changed since the 90s. Win and I get along well and I hope to continue that. Much of this is just stating ideas that I hope can happen in the future of Sugarbush and problems as a skier that I have noticed. I’ll be skiing with some friends this weekend so it will be nice to have the crowds spread out a bit with Slide Brook running. More people are riding it this season than I have ever seen before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SB87 - I know people on this board have given you a lot of shit,... you actually seem to be very passionate and knowledgeable about ski lifts. What is your background? How do you know all this stuff about all these lifts?

Slidebrook87

SB87 - I know people on this board have given you a lot of shit,... you actually seem to be very passionate and knowledgeable about ski lifts. What is your background? How do you know all this stuff about all these lifts?

I’ve never really introduced myself on this forum so I might as well do it now. My name’s Teddy and I’ll be turning 14 in 2 weeks. I started skiing at the age of 5, and skied about 5-10 days per year until the 2017/18 season. I started skiing a lot more than I used to at that time and made my first trip to Sugarbush for my birthday. It had always been on my bucket list and the sheer size and varied terrain is what originally drew me to it. Now I ski there quite a bit and have a condo. On the topic of lifts, after a trip to Stratton in 2015, I was amazed at how all the technology worked. I went home and discovered chairlift.org and similar websites. Ever since then I’ve been very into ski lifts and mountain operations. I got to go into the motor room of Super Bravo last spring and on my trip to Big Sky I got the chance to go inside Ramcharger 8’s and Swift Current’s motor rooms. Both are pretty impressive lifts. It’s truly one of the most difficult businesses and it’s quite interesting to see how each mountain has gone about combatting the challenges that come along with it.

rocks860

Skied Lincoln peak today. Snow was great but the visibility not so much, also ended up soaked after a few runs. Ripcord was excellent, rarely have I seen the snow so good on there and it wasn’t groomed at all

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Damn... all these reports make me really want to get up there. Got a few days planned vaca from work in mid March. Hoping for several good dumps between now and then.

There's been zero snow all winter here in southern CT and my longing to ride is suppressed for now. But still can't wait to get up there and ride!!!

Slidebrook87

I can’t wait for this weekend. Unfortunately I missed last weekend as I wasn’t feeling great, but looks like there should still be a good amount of fresh snow for this weekend. What trails have been skiing best recently?

cdskier

A few pics from the weekend...

DSC_0652.jpg
DSC_0706.jpg
DSC_0710.jpg

I tried to upload a couple others too, but for some reason a few photos just won't attach. I also didn't take too many on Friday and Saturday as the snow was just too much fun.

cdskier

I can’t wait for this weekend. Unfortunately I missed last weekend as I wasn’t feeling great, but looks like there should still be a good amount of fresh snow for this weekend. What trails have been skiing best recently?

Really hard for me to pick a favorite. Everything was skiing well last weekend.

President's weekend coming up so I won't be up there this weekend as my cousin and his family are using my condo for their annual family trip. But he has a track record of bringing powder with him whenever he comes up (he was up this past weekend with a bunch of buddies on a trip he planned months ago!), so it should be good again!

Slidebrook87

A few pics from the weekend...

View attachment 26252
View attachment 26253
View attachment 26254

I tried to upload a couple others too, but for some reason a few photos just won't attach. I also didn't take too many on Friday and Saturday as the snow was just too much fun.

Ripcord looks great though I imagine they’ve groomed it out by now. I think Friday’s cold temps might drive some people away. Could be a great day on the mountain.

cdskier

Ripcord looks great though I imagine they’ve groomed it out by now. I think Friday’s cold temps might drive some people away. Could be a great day on the mountain.

Per the snow report, it is on tonight's grooming schedule. This will be the first time for upper Ripcord since prior to the storm. Lower Ripcord was groomed Saturday night though.

rocks860

Per the snow report, it is on tonight's grooming schedule. This will be the first time for upper Ripcord since prior to the storm. Lower Ripcord was groomed Saturday night though.

When I skied it yesterday it didn’t seem like it had been groomed at all

rocks860

Damn... all these reports make me really want to get up there. Got a few days planned vaca from work in mid March. Hoping for several good dumps between now and then.

There's been zero snow all winter here in southern CT and my longing to ride is suppressed for now. But still can't wait to get up there and ride!!!

Jay where are you in southern CT? I moved down to my girlfriends place in new haven a few months ago

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I'm in Ivoryton/Essex, about 1/2 hour east of New Haven off I-95. We've gotten almost no snow and every day since New Years has been 40 degrees or higher. Doesn't even feel like winter... more like sprinter (spring weather in winter vs winter in spring), or an endless stick season/mud season.

rocks860

I'm in Ivoryton/Essex, about 1/2 hour east of New Haven off I-95. We've gotten almost no snow and every day since New Years has been 40 degrees or higher. Doesn't even feel like winter... more like sprinter (spring weather in winter vs winter in spring), or an endless stick season/mud season.

Yeah I definitely know Essex. You’re right it hasn’t felt like winter at all down there, my girlfriend said the same exact thing yesterday when we were up in Burlington. I plan on skiing tomorrow but not sure about Friday, looks like it’s going to be frigid

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Yeah I had my share of frigid days (and nights) up there making snow and on the lifts. Enjoy it up there, man!

jaybird

Best day we've had all season was Weds.
Sigi's groom was a beauty.
Castlerock is filled in nicely.
Seems all the wooded debris is now smothered.

Alterra influence now in effect ..
.. charging 25 cents for a paper cup.
Yikes.

machski

Best day we've had all season was Weds.
Sigi's groom was a beauty.
Castlerock is filled in nicely.
Seems all the wooded debris is now smothered.

Alterra influence now in effect ..
.. charging 25 cents for a paper cup.
Yikes.
.25 for a paper cup is to convince folks to bring a reusable, collapsible beverage cup/container. Doing it at Boyne resorts too (or jacking bottled 20oz beverages to $5 which they have)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Plowboy

Last time I skied it the conditions were amazing. I can't decide what's my favorite run at Sugarbush, but Lower FIS is in the top 5 for sure. Recently I found the history of why that runout is there. Pretty interesting to think that it used to be a regulation length race course back in the Glen Ellen days. Surprised the rest wasn't cut some time in the 80s or 90s.
The regulation length is past the run out. It's overgrown now, but the old timing shack is still there. It's down aways on the right.

tumbler

.25 for a paper cup is to convince folks to bring a reusable, collapsible beverage cup/container. Doing it at Boyne resorts too (or jacking bottled 20oz beverages to $5 which they have)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Did they get rid of the plastic red cups at the bottle filler?