• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Greg

Staff member
Why wouldn't you complain unless you have unlimited funds to play with?

Because I try not to complain about things I have no control over. I do however vote with my dollars and overall, I normally find value in the things I spend money on. If not, I'll spend it elsewhere. Probably just easier to complain though... :lol:

Greg

Staff member
We're way beyond the rate of inflation on these price hikes.

Not saying this isn't true, but I wonder if this has been examined and whether the ski industry is that much different than other recreational activities.

bdfreetuna

Because I try not to complain about things I have no control over. I do however vote with my dollars and overall, I normally find value in the things I spend money on. If not, I'll spend it elsewhere. Probably just easier to complain though... :lol:

In the 31,000 posts you made on AlpineZone before I even signed up here you never complained? :p

Of course it's easier to complain! But we have a thread dedicated to Sugarbush, and they are charging slap-in-the-face walk up rates. I'm not the only one to notice but some folks are more concerned if they offend Sugarbush (even with anonymous handles -- I'll be skiing there on a Warren Miller pass this season either way).

$129/$139 weekends. #NotNormal #RESIST :flag:

Again as someone who considers myself an "over-poster" on this forum... lol

WWF-VT

In the 31,000 posts you made on AlpineZone before I even signed up here you never complained? :p

Of course it's easier to complain! But we have a thread dedicated to Sugarbush, and they are charging slap-in-the-face walk up rates. I'm not the only one to notice but some folks are more concerned if they offend Sugarbush (even with anonymous handles -- I'll be skiing there on a Warren Miller pass this season either way).

$129/$139 weekends. #NotNormal #RESIST :flag:

Again as someone who considers myself an "over-poster" on this forum... lol

Quit bitching and go skiing

Scruffy

It's whatever the market will bear. If you don't like the Vail/Altera walk up rates and can't do the mega pass, go ski the indie mountains. They are half the price of Sugarbush's walkup rate, even on weekends and holidays. Who knows, this whole mega pass thing could wind up saving the small indie mountains from NELSAP?

Orca

Not a single person has advanced a single reason as to why the day rate should be so punishing.

Orca

So you have a friend and he's a pretty good guy. Treats most people fairly, but gives the sh*t to one guy in particular. You can't quite see why he's reasonable with everyone but this one guy. Maybe you suggest to your friend that he ease up on the guy that he's knocking around unnecessarily. That it isn't warranted to treat him so.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So you have a friend and he's a pretty good guy. Treats most people fairly, but gives the sh*t to one guy in particular. You can't quite see why he's reasonable with everyone but this one guy. Maybe you suggest to your friend that he ease up on the guy that he's knocking around unnecessarily. That it isn't warranted to treat him so.
This is an excellent post

but, umm...wut?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Orca

I have. You just choose to hear what you want to hear.

I wish it were so! But no one has said why it is necessary and good for the window rate to be so high. People have only asserted that you can work around it.

Hawk

Why are people complaining about the biggest problems in the sport of skiing on a ski forum? C'mon.

How is Bretton Woods able to charge $104/$88 when they do more grooming and snowmaking and just installed a new summit gondola? Maybe not apples to apples ... but I'm curious why not, and why such a large price difference?

The ski areas that decide to charge the "new highest rates" are a problem for everyone even if you don't want to ski there; it causes prices to go up everywhere in a proportional sense. We're way beyond the rate of inflation on these price hikes. Why wouldn't you complain unless you have unlimited funds to play with?
Annotation 2020-01-19 064823.jpg

This is the snapshot the online ticket sales. Yes today and tomorrow are peak and holiday so expensive but just 2 days in advance they are $74 and as high as 96 on the weekends. This is not killing the industry. You guys are just cheap.

nhskier1969

This just isn't at SB its at every ikon and epic run property. But I'll throw this at the discussion. The consumer that is waiting last minute to buy a lift ticket is probably waiting on conditions that day. On a day like this, sure he should pay top dollar for waiting and the conditions probably will warrant it. My thing is then it should be the other way around too. If it is -10 below or the ski area has half the mtn open or it just finished up a thaw freeze cycle, then I think they should reduce the ticket window price to warrant conditions. Case in point. My son was racing at Mt. Sunapee on Friday. I was thinking about making a few runs before hand. I called up the ticket office to see if there were discount for racing parents or half day rate. NO and NO. Even though I was only skiing a half day(afternoon) we just go off a thaw freeze cycle and it was only 2 degrees that day, Sunapee still wanted to whack me for $104 dollars.

djd66

Great weekend! This has been some of the best conditions of the year. The hike to Castlerock was like the line that forms on the Hillary Step (not that I have been there) - just crazy how many people are hiking to castlerock!

My only comment is the new configuration of the line going to Gatehouse. Not good having the line go up hill when it works much better the way it has been for so long. I don’t like to bitch about anything when the conditions are so good, but I think the old way works much better