• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

1dog

Just go ski

Best advice I've ever seen on this forum. If it's white, it's skiable. My problem is kids on Extreme this weekend - jumping from rock to rock pile I'd guess. Still - mountains over unrelenting craziness. . . . it feeds off itself. Great ratings for the media tho. . . .

Hawk

Yup, my plan is to head up ski and then sit in the plaza and watch the world go by with a fiddle head in my hand. Maybe catch some music. Good luck to your kids 1dog. Gonna be rough but that never stops them. I have no idea how Wayne the mailman does that every year. He's my age role model.

cdskier

The skiing might be shitty this weekend, but you don't know for sure if you don't go. I plan to be up there making the best of whatever we have.

STREETSKIER

I got a new jacket
b0ebf2f955c3be6a25ce5742b480f53a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEtoVTSkier

Win -

I hate to even bring this up, but with the current events surrounding Covid-19 and many events being cancelled, the closure of Berkshire East and Catamount could you share how the Sugarbush team is thinking about this? Thanks

Another Lurker out of the woodwork. Member for 2 years posting first time. Welcome!

:-D

WinS

Yup, my plan is to head up ski and then sit in the plaza and watch the world go by with a fiddle head in my hand. Maybe catch some music. Good luck to your kids 1dog. Gonna be rough but that never stops them. I have no idea how Wayne the mailman does that every year. He's my age role model.

Today was day 98 for me and also hosted an Allyn’s Lodge dinner with a fun ski down. Definitely planning on day 99 in the rain tomorrow followed by hosting another Allyn’s Lodge dinner and day 100 on Saturday with Lili, my kids and grand kids on Saturday. We bought some more beach chairs so Hawk will be more comfortable with his apres Fiddlehead.

tumbler

Might have a busier couple weeks than anticipated with schools closing for weeks in MA.

Slidebrook87

Might have a busier couple weeks than anticipated with schools closing for weeks in MA.

But there are online classes... I wish I could do that, trust me, but I have work to do.

KustyTheKlown

eh, unless they are seniors, they still need their parents to drive them and pay for their accomodations, and most people still need to work from home and unless they have a second home probably dont want to pay for lodging for an extended period amongst this uncertainty

i floated the 'lets move to vermont for 2-3 weeks' idea to my gf last night and she was less enthused than me. she's worried about paying $1000-$1500 for a vt place while we still need to pay rent. her job is stable. so is mine. tho my company is a bit less stable than hers as we're start-up-ish and she works for the largest evil law firm in the world (she does graphic design type work for skadden arps)

Hawk

You mean Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates. I was just reading last week that they are being investigated by the department of justice in NY over the whole Paul Manafort business and also had to pay some fine for improper billing. BTW they are # 5 but that is still a giant among giants.

tumbler

It will be the 2nd homeowners and seasonal renters for sure. People will work from there and take the 10 minutes to drop their kids off at the hill and maybe take some lunch runs themselves. I don't think it will be Xmas week crowded, but a slight noticeable increase.

KustyTheKlown

You mean Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates. I was just reading last week that they are being investigated by the department of justice in NY over the whole Paul Manafort business and also had to pay some fine for improper billing. BTW they are # 5 but that is still a giant among giants.

yea they were into all kinds of shady manafort shit. but my point is her employer aint goin nowhere, whereas a downturn could significantly impact mine. fortunately we make cloud software for lawyers that enables them to work remotely from any device, so there's a business upside to this horrific situation for us.

Slidebrook87

How is it today other than the fact that a good portion of the mountain isn’t open? Soft? Icy? Mix?

skiur

Its raining, do you really need to ask how the snow is? Of course its soft.

KustyTheKlown

seriously. must you ask these questions every single day even when the answer is painfully fucking obvious?

Hawk

Headed up shortly. I gotta get out of here it is too depressing. On my floor, (100,000sf) there is usually about 300 or so people. There are 25 of us today. On the web cam there looks to be some freezing rain so maybe it is not soft all around. Also they sometimes close the trails so preserve the snow for the weekend and not have it all rutted up.

TSQURD

Skied for a few hours this morning. Most upper mtn lifts were on hold. Heard Bravo wasn't skiing well, so started on GH. Everything off of Gate House was soft. Went up North Lynx, liftie had to clear the ice off the chair, about 1/3 of the way up noticed a nice coating of ice on the trees and starting to form on the chair, got heavier up higher. Everything was still frozen up solid at the top and the wind was enough to blow me sideways. Looks like NL is down for the day now.

HowieT2

Under quarantine in westchester. Looking like this corona thing will Be the end of my ski season. Not happy about that.

my 2 cents on this whole mt Ellen lodge issue.
in addition to being a sugarbush fan boy, I’m also a huge yankee baseball fan. Furthermore I worked predominately at the courthouse by the stadium for almost 30 years. I was a season ticket holder at the old yankee stadium from ‘96 through ‘07. Id go to games during lunch. I barely missed any of the playoff/ws games those years and there were many (good times). You’d be hard pressed to find more than a handful of people who went to more games the last decade of the old stadium.
I know, the old stadium, as beloved as it was, absolutely had to be replaced. It was getting to the point where it was not structurally sound. The corridors were dangerously narrow making exiting difficult on a good day. If there was an incident there, it would have been a death trap.when they built the new stadium, there were many critical of its design. Many, especially old timers, hated the new stadium, too many corporate seats, didn’t have the same charm, blah blah blah. I had my own issues with it. The level of complaining about the new stadium rose when the team was old boring and non competitive. As soon as the team got good 3 years ago, the complaining about the new stadium stopped.

the mt Ellen base lodge is a classic. Everybody loves it. It has charm. If it were ever to be replaced, everyone would be nostalgic for the old lodge. But it’s also too small. The bathroom and kitchen facilities are inadequate today and certainly not able to accommodate increased traffic in the future. The inside stairwell from the first to second floor is hazardous. Has anyone taken a dive on that thing yet?It’s not handicapped accessible (although the vt adaptive addition would address this). I can’t speak to the structural integrity of the building, but I’d imagine that a wood framed building Which is almost 60 years old must have some issues.
when the time comes to replace the old building, there will be plenty of bitching and moaning about the new one. There will be a long period of mourning. But in the end, we all go there for the skiing. as long as ullr blesses us with some pow, and the god damned north ridge is running, we’ll be in the new lodge, making new memories, telling stories about the great old lodge.