• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ducky

I would bet they will have to limit the capacity. How they would do that is probably not determined yet. I am sure Patrol will be there and if it was an emergency they would let you in. I think if you made it up there you can probably make your way to the bottom.

The current Vermont regs are 50% of fire marshall posted capacity, up from 25% last week. The big question will be how they regulate and enforce State quarantine rules which require anyone coming from a county with cases higher than 400/100,000 to 14 day quarantine, or 7 days with a test. Possibly using a tracing app? Guessing a large proportion of weekend skiers are normally from higher risk areas, though NY has changed significantly, Boston not so much.

Our business has been asking all visitors using the honor system and we have only turned away two groups this summer. Masks are already mandated and we require sanitizer use to enter. Even then we stay 6' apart.

Stowe and Killington, and everywhere else, are facing the same dilemma. Perhaps the areas will get together and figure out an industry-wide strategy. I'd be surprised if Rob Katz and Rusty Gregory had not discussed it with 49 ski areas between them.

https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
This crew is slacking......

Thanks Win for 19 amazing years at Sugarbush. See you on the mountain!

mikec142

Just saw this on the MRG facebook feed.

Win, thanks for making Sugarbush such a fantastic place.

teleo

Win, thanks for everything you've done for sugarbush and the valley over 19 years.

John, congrats and keep it going.

Hope to see you both on the mountain, whatever the covid operations turn out to be.

cdskier

PS...I hope as part of the transition Win tells John about this forum! :razz: :beer:

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Thank you Win for everything you've done for Sugarbush since 2001. It was a pleasure to work for you and the mtn for 10 years, and I can't wait to visit and ride again, and this winter.

Enjoy your retirement!

Hawk

This is not unexpected but still I wish Win stayed for a little longer. There still are a few things that were needed to be done. I fear that Without Win things might get lost. I wish him well and hope to see him like usual on those early runs.

slatham

Congrats Win and thanks for all you've done for Sugarbush. Glad to hear you'll be an advisor - that should assure a smooth transition and hopefully no serious deviation from the direction you have set.

BenedictGomez

Ok, I honestly didn't expect Win to retire so soon after the Alterra sale.

Guess all the checkmarks below are checked.

I have been asked to remain as president for as long as I wish in order to facilitate a smooth transition, to maintain our commitment to our guests and to the entire Sugarbush community, and to prepare the next generation of leaders to succeed me when I decide to move on to a third career. More importantly, Alterra Mountain Company wants our entire Sugarbush team to remain in place.

WinS

This will be my last Forum post. It has been fun conversing with all of you over the years. While we did not always agree on everything I always wanted to give you an honest answer, and I have always respected the passion that has been shown here. I feel I am leaving Sugarbush in very good hands with John and the rest of the team. And yes, you will continue to see me out early unless I am skiing elsewhere that day. Thanks you your great support.

Last edited:

hovercraft

This will be my last Forum post. It has been fun conversing with all of you over the years. While we did not always agree on everything I always wanted to give you an honest answer, and I have always respected the passion that has been shown here. I feel I am leaving Sugarbush in very good hands with John and the rest of the team. And yes, you will continue to see me our early unless I am skiing elsewhere that day. Thanks you your great support.

See you at Stowe on your other days....:thumbup:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This will be my last Forum post. It has been fun conversing with all of you over the years. While we did not always agree on everything I always wanted to give you an honest answer, and I have always respected the passion that has been shown here. I feel I am leaving Sugarbush in very good hands with John and the rest of the team. And yes, you will continue to see me our early unless I am skiing elsewhere that day. Thanks you your great support.

Now we just wait for SBsnowmakingfan#1 to sign-up...:thumbup:

p_levert

This will be my last Forum post. It has been fun conversing with all of you over the years. While we did not always agree on everything I always wanted to give you an honest answer, and I have always respected the passion that has been shown here. I feel I am leaving Sugarbush in very good hands with John and the rest of the team. And yes, you will continue to see me out early unless I am skiing elsewhere that day. Thanks you your great support.

You have been awesome. Thanks so much for communicating with us on a regular basis.

MorningWoods

Thx Win. Appreciate everything you did for the mountain.

Separate topic. LOVE the new MTB trail Sugarbush Parks built at end of Shady Lane. Someone mentioned to me there is a larger expansion plan for trails. Just curious if anyone has any details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk