• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Skrn

Anybody skied Castlerock chair since it is open? Wonder what the condition is back. Thinking about coming this weekend. Thanks!

Slidebrook87

I'm not gone. I just haven't been too active recently. I am part of other skiing blogs that aren't quite as toxic so I tend to spend most of my time there. I'm quite glad Castlerock is finally open, but still waiting on Slide Brook. With the snow coming next week, I can't imagine it will be too much longer. Does anyone know how Castlerock has been skiing ever since the lift opened? I'm probably going to head up there on Friday and ski Liftline and CR Run.

TheArchitect

In all my years here I've never thought of this place as toxic. Sure, we occasionally have a clueless member show up trying to troll on a given topic but they're usually gone once people start calling them out for their BS. The vast majority of people on AZ are friendly.

chuckstah

Anybody skied Castlerock chair since it is open? Wonder what the condition is back. Thinking about coming this weekend. Thanks!
I skied everything off it this am. Nice soft bumps everywhere. Bit a scratch on Castleroock run. A few rocks to dodge on the steeps. Screenshot_20200129-131305.jpgScreenshot_20200129-131205.jpgScreenshot_20200129-131043.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

nhskier1969

Since their sale to Alterra, does anyone know if SB will try to stay open to the first weekend of May?

WinS

Since their sale to Alterra, does anyone know if SB will try to stay open to the first weekend of May?

Yes. They do not micro-manage. This is our decision. Unfortunately, the NSAA Board meeting conflicts with that weekend so I will have to leave it to you to close out the season that weekend. I will watch the webcam though.

Blowing a bunch of snow now and into Friday on Stein's, Upper Snowball, Spring Fling and Coffee Run so we get to May.

WinS

Win,
My question is probably not so cut and dry, but is it possible to give maximum wind speeds and wind directions for Bravo, Heaven's Gate, and North Ridge before they shut down?

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. When we see a forecast of 40 MPH or more we get nervous, but it has as much about the direction of the wind as the speed. If the wind is coming right down the line we can operate safely at higher winds than if it coming across the lift line. Our lift mechanics make the call, and they are looking a how chairs are swaying. You do not want a chair swaying into a tower or oming into the top terminal in way that could get in hung up on the Bullwheel. Winds are really tricky. There are times when it can be very windy say at Tower 15 on Bravo and there will be no wind at the top of Heaven's Gate. As the wind picks up the lift mechanics do all they can to keep a lift running safely. For instance, they can slow it down which can help. But once they notice any action that creates a safety risk they shut in down. This is not scientific. It is sound and experienced judgment.

Slidebrook87

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. When we see a forecast of 40 MPH or more we get nervous, but it has as much about the direction of the wind as the speed. If the wind is coming right down the line we can operate safely at higher winds than if it coming across the lift line. Our lift mechanics make the call, and they are looking a how chairs are swaying. You do not want a chair swaying into a tower or oming into the top terminal in way that could get in hung up on the Bullwheel. Winds are really tricky. There are times when it can be very windy say at Tower 15 on Bravo and there will be no wind at the top of Heaven's Gate. As the wind picks up the lift mechanics do all they can to keep a lift running safely. For instance, they can slow it down which can help. But once they notice any action that creates a safety risk they shut in down. This is not scientific. It is sound and experienced judgment.

I believe Doppelmayr lifts are equipped with a wind monitoring system that will slow or stop the lift when the wind reaches a certain level. Do lift mechanics ever use this or do they only make the decision based off of their own judgement?

bdfreetuna

Great to hear. I do usually get to Sugarbush once a year in April. It may even be my favorite spring time mountain over Jay. Close call though.

BTW I did get up to Mad River Glen today and had a rippin' time. My wife wanted me to take a lot of photos, and since it was a beautiful day and I was skiing great powder in the woods I took quite a few pics. Check later for a trip report posted to that sub forum.

KustyTheKlown

Great to hear. I do usually get to Sugarbush once a year in April. It may even be my favorite spring time mountain over Jay. Close call though.

BTW I did get up to Mad River Glen today and had a rippin' time. My wife wanted me to take a lot of photos, and since it was a beautiful day and I was skiing great powder in the woods I took quite a few pics. Check later for a trip report posted to that sub forum.

glad to hear "great powder in the woods" and "mad river glen" in the same sentence - remember, the woods in the mad river valley will kill you right now ;) . i will be at mrg or sugarbush on saturday. hoping for mrg. my girlfriend doesnt have a ticket there, but she usually only skis one day in a weekend. thinking drive up friday night to rutland hotel, head up to mrg saturday morning, park the girl in general starks, back to rutland, then to stratton in the morning to ski with the lady. wanted magic on sunday but as this nor'easter fizzled so did my plan.

HowieT2

glad to hear "great powder in the woods" and "mad river glen" in the same sentence - remember, the woods in the mad river valley will kill you right now ;) . i will be at mrg or sugarbush on saturday. hoping for mrg. my girlfriend doesnt have a ticket there, but she usually only skis one day in a weekend. thinking drive up friday night to rutland hotel, head up to mrg saturday morning, park the girl in general starks, back to rutland, then to stratton in the morning to ski with the lady. wanted magic on sunday but as this nor'easter fizzled so did my plan.
That's a plan.

tumbler

Yes. They do not micro-manage. This is our decision. Unfortunately, the NSAA Board meeting conflicts with that weekend so I will have to leave it to you to close out the season that weekend. I will watch the webcam though.

Blowing a bunch of snow now and into Friday on Stein's, Upper Snowball, Spring Fling and Coffee Run so we get to May.

I wish there were a couple more weeks of resurfacing then focusing on the spring stockpiles.

WinS

I believe Doppelmayr lifts are equipped with a wind monitoring system that will slow or stop the lift when the wind reaches a certain level. Do lift mechanics ever use this or do they only make the decision based off of their own judgement?

Their own judgment. It is not just about the wind level.

bdfreetuna

Win... a question out of personal interest and you already know I'm a cheapskate -- what are the chances that Sugarbush continues sponsoring Warren Miller movies with a free early/late season pass?

It's basically the only way I ski there unless I use a Ski VT pass (maybe I will do that too)

That's also basically the only way I'll bother showing up to Warren Miller movies