• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

KustyTheKlown

what's up everyone?

so, how's the skiing looking in northern vt now that we've received a bit of refresher snow?

considering smuggs saturday and then sugarbush or k for sunday. wondering if the noVT trip is worth my extra drive time with respect to snow conditions. i think it probably is.

cdskier

NEW SUBJECT AND I NEED YOUR HELP:

As you know we encourage off-hour skinning at both LP and ME. We do have a policy on the website and designated routes and hours. They are designated so for both the safety of the skinners as well as our employees. Recently, we have had numerous people especially at Mount Ellen not following this policy and skinning and skiing down in areas they should not be. Our groomers have had some close calls and are really concerned about hitting someone. This is not fair to them. Skinning is a privilege and we want it to continue, but I need everyone's help to spread the word that this must be done according to our policy, or we will have no choice but to ban skinning. A number of homeowners at Mount Ellen have also complained that cars have blocked their driveways and are entering Mount Ellen and skiing down where they should not be. A few irresponsible people could ruin this for the many who follow the policy. Many thanks for spreading the word.

Very sad that a few people can't follow the rules and could ruin it for everyone else. I see a note on this issue was added to the snow report too.

blur

Before moving to Vermont in 04 I skied at a Whitetail in PA. They pretty much relied on 100% snow making. All tower fan guns that appeared to be turned on remotely. If temps allowed they blew a re-fresh of a few inches over groomed or un-groomed surfaces, nothing but silk for a few hours every morning. Assuming expensive system, but must be a ROI down the road.

Hawk

NEW SUBJECT AND I NEED YOUR HELP:

As you know we encourage off-hour skinning at both LP and ME. We do have a policy on the website and designated routes and hours. They are designated so for both the safety of the skinners as well as our employees. Recently, we have had numerous people especially at Mount Ellen not following this policy and skinning and skiing down in areas they should not be. Our groomers have had some close calls and are really concerned about hitting someone. This is not fair to them. Skinning is a privilege and we want it to continue, but I need everyone's help to spread the word that this must be done according to our policy, or we will have no choice but to ban skinning. A number of homeowners at Mount Ellen have also complained that cars have blocked their driveways and are entering Mount Ellen and skiing down where they should not be. A few irresponsible people could ruin this for the many who follow the policy. Many thanks for spreading the word.
I have been guilty in the past of skiing Mt Ellen before they open and at night. Yes against policy. I have to add that I have NEVER parked in a location that was not public parking and have never blocked a driveway. Also I have never been foolish enough to be on a trail that had a groomer on it. In fact, myself and the others I am with have never even come in contact with anybody on the mountain with the routes we have taken. Not in the 10 or so years that we have been doing this. I guess the rules are there to protect the idiots that do these things and screw it up for the people that actually have a clue and know how to operate in a fashion that is safe for everybody. If there is a chance that my actions will screw up things for others then I will stop. But there are definitely locals and others that do not follow the forum and certainly do not read the report. They will not be easily swayed. They are Vermonters and will be independent thinkers as that is who they are.

WinS

I have been guilty in the past of skiing Mt Ellen before they open and at night. Yes against policy. I have to add that I have NEVER parked in a location that was not public parking and have never blocked a driveway. Also I have never been foolish enough to be on a trail that had a groomer on it. In fact, myself and the others I am with have never even come in contact with anybody on the mountain with the routes we have taken. Not in the 10 or so years that we have been doing this. I guess the rules are there to protect the idiots that do these things and screw it up for the people that actually have a clue and know how to operate in a fashion that is safe for everybody. If there is a chance that my actions will screw up things for others then I will stop. But there are definitely locals and others that do not follow the forum and certainly do not read the report. They will not be easily swayed. They are Vermonters and will be independent thinkers as that is who they are.

You are not the problem. It is those skinning and skiing where the equipment is. One even purposely sprayed a groomer as they shot by. Imagine if you were a driver what that did to your heartbeat.

tumbler

I always thought it was generous to let people skin and ski after hours, it is too bad a few have to ruin it. Not surprising it was over the vacation though. I recall earlier this year Mad River closed the hill to uphill traffic to let the hill drain and preserve snow and they said a few people still ignored it and went up. I have to imagine in this day the liability is huge.

stovepipe

OK, My take on the "skinning Policy". Been skiing at Club North for many years . Think the mountain had it right in the old days. If you had a pass or ticket it was fine to hike up during the day. There was posted a few routes preferred for the uphill travel. During the day time the Cats are off the mountain. Now the hikers are one the hill with the groomers with the new policy looking like we traded one "risk and replaced it with the other,(Hikers on the hill while most are skiing down) . Honestly ,however if you for example you were going up say Lower FIS you are not in any ones way.
Love skiing here and am thankfull for all the hard work your crew puts in keeping the runs in good shape. My vote says we go back to the way it used to be. Think Snow, JC

cdskier

It is those skinning and skiing where the equipment is. One even purposely sprayed a groomer as they shot by. Imagine if you were a driver what that did to your heartbeat.

Sounds like someone that wouldn't care what the rules say they can or can't do.

djd66

Just curious - If they were to go to a No Skinning Policy after hours - how would it get enforced?

Keelhauled

You are not the problem. It is those skinning and skiing where the equipment is. One even purposely sprayed a groomer as they shot by. Imagine if you were a driver what that did to your heartbeat.

Vail and Beaver Creek used to run a noontime grooming shift. There are appalling stories of skiers going between cats, following cats, and even using the tillers as jumps. The practice was ended after several skier/cat incidents at Beaver Creek in a single day. There is still overlap between when groomers are on the mountain before opening and other operations personnel (primarily lifties) are skiing around, and it is not a fun time to be in the cat.

benski

Vail and Beaver Creek used to run a noontime grooming shift. There are appalling stories of skiers going between cats, following cats, and even using the tillers as jumps. The practice was ended after several skier/cat incidents at Beaver Creek in a single day. There is still overlap between when groomers are on the mountain before opening and other operations personnel (primarily lifties) are skiing around, and it is not a fun time to be in the cat.

I have seen the Sugarbush groomers return to there enclosure on a powder day, but its been years since i have had a Sugarbush powder day.

jaybird

Be that as it may ..

Conditions were quite good today !
Nice groom on Steins :thumbup:

On the groomer spooking..
Knuckleheads are just that.

Please get some gear up Ripcord .. Please ..

Last edited:

teleo

Just curious - If they were to go to a No Skinning Policy after hours - how would it get enforced?
This.

If you ban skinning, the people who follow rules will stop skinning, the people who don't follow rules will do what they do. Does that solve the problem? Seems to me that enforcement of the violators is what needs to be figured out.

Worth a call to Pico to see if they had anything that helped. It's known as Hico for a reason.