• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

MEtoVTSkier

Hmm. I just went on line to the on line tickets. If I buy my ticket even a couple days in advance the lowest discount is 25% on Saturdays and anywhere from 30 to 45% any other day. That does not seem like much of a benefit. Just sayin.

Yeah, they'll want you to spend extra time and jump thru more hoops to find better discounts. They are betting on that most folks will only want to deal with it once and be done with it.

cdskier

Hmm. I just went on line to the on line tickets. If I buy my ticket even a couple days in advance the lowest discount is 25% on Saturdays and anywhere from 30 to 45% any other day. That does not seem like much of a benefit. Just sayin.

Agreed...I don't really understand the point of that benefit either if you can for the most part already get online tickets in advance for the same or even cheaper. Only real benefit is for a last minute decision I guess when the online price would be a smaller discount.

jaybird

Tomorrow may unfortunately be Slide Brook’s last day. This means that it would only have run for 38 days this season.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Sunday Slidebrook journey was by far the most enjoyable 40 tower excursion we've taken this season. Everything both sides was mint. Most particularly .. even late afternoon on Sigi's and Spillsville was fully carve-able and completely uncluttered. Cotilion woods was decent. Courtyard was packed and the Jitney was quite busy all day. We spotted a moose in the gulch as we headed south late afternoon.

WinS

You are correct in that sense. However, what is does offer is the flexibility of not having to do it ahead of time. Also not all Ikon Resort have the same ticket pricing schedules and this is good at all Ikon Resorts. I think the benefit that you might enjoy the most is the 15% F&B discount. For the frequent skier that adds up.

WinS

Three observations today:
1. The men's room at Gatehouse is more pleasant than I remember it being before. Not sure exactly what might have changed, but kudos to management. It seems nice, at least inasmuch as a men's room can be.
2. Downspout was fantastic today, whereas for years it has been an icy catastrophe. And this is not the first time this year it as has been good. It was good the last time I skied it. Whatever snowmaking and grooming magic is in play, keep it up.
3. The new bars in the outside CRP and across the way in the courtyard area are a very welcome addition. It was nice to see people outside having a beer in the sun. Glad Sugarbush is capitalizing on the opportunity to make a few more pesos serving cervezas.

The floor, the safety posters and the paper towel dispensers are the only thing that has changed in the Men's Room. Glad you like the Courtyard. It is getting great use in all seasons.

Slidebrook87

Win, what happened to North Ridge today? Anything due to the tensioning system? There has been a severe lack of tension ever since I first rode it. I also know that the chain driven contours and spacing systems can be complex on these vintage Poma Competition lifts.

Hawk

You are correct in that sense. However, what is does offer is the flexibility of not having to do it ahead of time. Also not all Ikon Resort have the same ticket pricing schedules and this is good at all Ikon Resorts. I think the benefit that you might enjoy the most is the 15% F&B discount. For the frequent skier that adds up.

i didn't think about the other Ikon resorts. That is a good point and might come in handy. I will definitely use the 15% discount on the F&B.

Smellytele

You are correct in that sense. However, what is does offer is the flexibility of not having to do it ahead of time. Also not all Ikon Resort have the same ticket pricing schedules and this is good at all Ikon Resorts. I think the benefit that you might enjoy the most is the 15% F&B discount. For the frequent Eater that adds up.

Fixed it...

1dog

Especially for you SB87

https://www.facebook.com/BenPhillipsUK/videos/3291058380923442/

Crazy -

Bush was great this weekend - except I couldn't renew my nor my sons eason passes at desk - I tried online - couldn't get both early season discounts - fellow was very nice, said to call instead - problem is I leave my pass in our jacket sleeve zips - so I do not have the #'s.

Hope they can look them up.

KustyTheKlown

that guy laying still and face down under the massive pile of chairs is prob in great shape.'

the people who hang from their fingers and then drop in the soft snow at the lowest point are smart.

in communist russia, chair lift you!

ericfromMA/NH/VT

I'd personally be a bit disappointed to see Ellen with flashy new base facilities. I do think it would negatively impact the character that makes ME so cool today.

agreed. I ski mid week so i don't deal with the weekend crowd. the 1 time I have skied a sunday there, the racer families were there and it was a pain but we ( me, wife, 2 kids 8 and 10) got changed downstairs and got a table for lunch. later in the day, we came in and me and the wife got seats next to the fireplace while kids did a few last runs in the terrain park. good times.

One thing about ME lodge- its crampedness kinda forces comradery between the people in it, at least in my experience. everyone has to work together to get everyone seated when its lunchtime. I've seen some cool interactions among people there, just helping each other out to make the most of it.

i also just like the place, the feel and character of it. same with walts. I'll miss the old walts when its gone but more space will be nice.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

My family (3 kids and a wife) boot up in the parking lot unless the weather says otherwise - cold and wind. Learned when the kids were young that it was a PIA to carry all their shit up their and we stuck with it. They see people carrying shit in and laugh at them now.

And agree with KtK about the places I love.

this is why my kids got backpacks as soon as they were physically capable of handing them, and learned to carry their own skis just as early.

my mantra: I'm your dad, not your butler. So, carry your own stuff. I now have completely self sufficient 8 and 10 years old kids.

we also get in the lodge at least 30 minutes before the lifts start so that helps as well.

I also just hate doing it at the car, but to each his own.

Slidebrook87

agreed. I ski mid week so i don't deal with the weekend crowd. the 1 time I have skied a sunday there, the racer families were there and it was a pain but we ( me, wife, 2 kids 8 and 10) got changed downstairs and got a table for lunch. later in the day, we came in and me and the wife got seats next to the fireplace while kids did a few last runs in the terrain park. good times.

One thing about ME lodge- its crampedness kinda forces comradery between the people in it, at least in my experience. everyone has to work together to get everyone seated when its lunchtime. I've seen some cool interactions among people there, just helping each other out to make the most of it.

i also just like the place, the feel and character of it. same with walts. I'll miss the old walts when its gone but more space will be nice.

I see what you mean, but to me it's not a preservation of character and instead just a lack of investment. Other than GMX in 2002, Ellen really hasn't seen much investment. If the current lodge was tastefully refurbished then I would think differently about it. I typically only get to ski one or two midweek days at Sugarbush. So far it has only been one midweek day and Slide Brook was closed so I didn't ski Ellen. I don't think anything about the new base facilities would be flashy. Nothing about the Gate House lodge screams flashy to me, and a new Ellen lodge probably wouldn't be as big as that. As some have mentioned, it would be a good idea for architects to use current design elements such as the deck, fireplace, etc. A small courtyard should probably be added where the current unused ticket booth is. I'll create a simple drawing of the footprint of the new lodge. About a year ago I made a sketchup representation of what a new mid mountain lodge and Heaven's Gate terminal combined could look like. I'll try to attach a photo of it.

Greg

Staff member
this is why my kids got backpacks as soon as they were physically capable of handing them, and learned to carry their own skis just as early.

my mantra: I'm your dad, not your butler. So, carry your own stuff. I now have completely self sufficient 8 and 10 years old kids.

we also get in the lodge at least 30 minutes before the lifts start so that helps as well.

I also just hate doing it at the car, but to each his own.

This. The boot backpacks are critical for kids. It actually makes them enjoy carrying their stuff. I also try to get to the lodge early and boot up leisurely. Will boot up at the car if the weather is nice, but generally don't like to.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Win, will quad passes be available next year? was looking at the new pass prices and saw no mention of them. thx!

Slidebrook87

You forgot about the new adaptive building. I think that is going mess up your plan

It would be on the bottom floor of the right side of the lodge in the photo. Bathrooms would be on level two with two single person restrooms for the adaptive facility on the lower level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk