• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Cobbold

Time will tell, hopefully sugarbush doesn’t miss a beat, but not having win smith around hurts.

tumbler

"we're not doing it for the money, we're doing it for a shitload of money!"

machski

Their official website has has that video that was posted on here earlier that still has the Green mountain boys name in the title of the video. It is recent so whatever you heard is not been taken seriously. Also if you do a search on it, nothing comes up as news. You would think it would show up. I don't care what people think, I will always call them the Green Mountain Boys.
I agree. I had heard that several years ago now, long before the F35's were on their way. I know there was a lot of disagreement on dropping the nickname. If it has stayed, glad it did.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

flakeydog

vtang.jpg
The Vermont Air National Guard, home of the 158th Fighter Wing, became federally recognized nearly a century ago, on 1 August 1946. The Green Mountain Boys began their first major mission flying the P-47 Thunderbolt, and by 1950 were flying the historic P-51 Mustang. In all, the Vermont Air National Guard has flown more than eight different aircraft missions, including bombers and fighters.
Over 30 years ago, in 1986, the unit transitioned from the F-4 Phantom to the F-16 Fighting Falcon. On 11 September 2001, members of the 134th Fighter Squadron were returning from a training mission and received real-world orders to respond to the terrorist attacks. Weapons technicians loaded live ordinances on the aircraft, and the Green Mountain Boys began daily Combat Air Patrols over New York City and other locations in the eastern region of the United States. During the following months, approximately 500 members of the unit were activated and successfully flew missions for 122 consecutive days. It is because of the dedication and fortitude of the men and women of the Vermont Air National Guard that has allowed for such a successful and effective flying force.
After more than three decades of successful flying operations with the F-16, the Vermont Air National Guard began transitioning to the F-35 Lightning II in 2019. The legacy of the Green Mountain Boys will continue with its ninth airframe, as they approach their 75th anniversary in 2021.

I think that sums it up nicely. From the VTANG website. Next time you fly into BTV, look across the runway and you cant miss it.

djd66

"we're not doing it for the money, we're doing it for a shitload of money!"

I don't think they will be making a shit load of money this year, lets just hope we have a shit load of natural snow and we all get to ski a shit load!

HowieT2

Frustrating for sure. And I'm happy to be part of any letter writing campaign directed at keeping Egan there. But I'm not writing SB off in any way. Will it be different without John and Win? I'm sure it will. Will it be better or worse (or the same)? That remains to be seen. Going to a corporate owner will change things. Just not sure which direction it will be. So, in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy SB the same way I've done in the past. I'm going to cherish the vibe, the terrain, the people, and the feeling I have when I'm there.

This.

Sorry to see Egan's position eliminated. That being said, Not knowing anything about what his prior deal involved, I'll hold off from criticizing. I mean, having Egan around as the minister of fun, was great, but not priceless.

cdskier

This.

Sorry to see Egan's position eliminated. That being said, Not knowing anything about what his prior deal involved, I'll hold off from criticizing. I mean, having Egan around as the minister of fun, was great, but not priceless.

Agreed. I'd like to know more as well before criticizing the decision. Him not being around really isn't going to have any direct impact on my enjoyment of skiing at Sugarbush.

That being said, I did just come across a petition being circulated on Facebook for anyone interested:
https://www.change.org/p/sugarbush-...he-guardian-of-the-great-culture-at-sugarbush

nicsterdowner

Please read the enclosed and consider supporting this petition to Alterra to reconsider their decision to terminate John Egan, ski legend and mater teacher. We feel this is a terrible decision that jeopardizes the culture of our wonderful mountain. Here is the petition --

https://www.change.org/sugarbushneedsegan

WinS

It does hurt, and Egan is a double whammy. Please consider supporting this petition to Alterra to reconsider its horrible decision about terminating Egan. https://www.change.org/sugarbushneedsegan

I said I would not be posting any more on this forum now that I am retired, but I do have to break that this once. I am no longer involved in management now that I have retired but available to give advice it asked.

There are always two sides of a story and I am not sure all the facts are known. John was a very respected colleague and is a good friend. He was very good for Sugarbush and Sugarbush was very good to John. However, COVID is presenting very difficult and complex issues for Sugarbush and all other ski areas. As much we may dislike it the status quo will not be in place this winter. Everyone is going to have to adapt and not all may want to. That’s it, back to “retirement” and preparing to get on the slopes soon. I have my new downhill boots and new and AT Gear.

Slidebrook87

I said I would not be posting any more on this forum now that I am retired, but I do have to break that this once. I am no longer involved in management now that I have retired but available to give advice it asked.

There are always two sides of a story and I am not sure all the facts are known. John was a very respected colleague and is a good friend. He was very good for Sugarbush and Sugarbush was very good to John. However, COVID is presenting very difficult and complex issues for Sugarbush and all other ski areas. As much we may dislike it the status quo will not be in place this winter. Everyone is going to have to adapt and not all may want to. That’s it, back to “retirement” and preparing to get on the slopes soon. I have my new downhill boots and new and AT Gear.

Thanks for chiming in Win, hope all is well. See you on the slopes.

1dog

Certainly can understand the squeeze as a small business owner. Ski area cash flow is, like many other businesses, going to be devastated by lack of F&B sales, and probably limited traffic.

They are obligated to protect and enhance shareholder value. Many of us are doing the same, cutting out all non-essential expenses to stay above water until we get back to some standard of normal.

Cobbold

Mr smith, Thank you for all you did at sugarbush, every couple of years I would come thru sugarbush for a few days, and every trip it was better that the previous trip, well done sir, well done

ducky

Certainly can understand the squeeze as a small business owner. Ski area cash flow is, like many other businesses, going to be devastated by lack of F&B sales, and probably limited traffic.

They are obligated to protect and enhance shareholder value. Many of us are doing the same, cutting out all non-essential expenses to stay above water until we get back to some standard of normal.

Alterra is a privately-held company.

Blurski

Another customer satisfaction move, the snow report say "Skinning is not permitted" at either mountain. This one kills me as they do not own the land that South is on. Yes they have this mysterious "Special Use Permit" the state issues them, good luck trying to find it in the public records to see what it actually says. It would be nice if Mr. "H" would post the entire permit for all to read.

tumbler

It's the National Forest Service, not the state. It's an operating agreement, they have the right to make the rules. No different than setting dates for opening and closing.