• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

benski

Thx for the transparency Win, hoping we get that extra lift for the weekend. It’s no secret that there is a labor issue and it isn’t just hospitality, that’s for sure. We are struggling in manufacturing. Much larger business, but we have several hundred open positions.

What 3 lifts though? I only saw bravo and HG running this weekend? Welcome mat or is Inverness running for GMVS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome matt is open now.

cdskier

And we will resume snowmaking once temps are again favorable.

Based on the snow report, it looks like the next trails for snowmaking are some of the mid and lower ones (Domino Chute, Coffee Run, Lower Jester) instead of Ripcord as mentioned a few days ago. Any insight into the change of plan from Ripcord being next up?

djd66

This is not a budget issue. As was said it was a staffing issue. Many veterans return when their summer jobs are completed. We are having to hire more and more J-1s because we can not find enough local employees. And the J-1s do not arrive for a couple of weeks have a limit on the number of days they can work. Last weekend we had three lifts and did not have the staff to open a fourth. A. Number of veterans are returning this week, the new staff is getting trained and some more new hires were made, so we should be able to open at least one more lift this week. Almost all ski areas and most hospitality businesses are experiencing the same thing.

Affordable housing is another big issue to get employees. We have some housing of our own and are leasing several properties in the Valley and have just contracted to buy another place to house 25. This closes early December. The Tenant for Turns program has also provided some good lodging options.

We will groom a natural trail when it is best for snow preservation. And we will resume snowmaking once temps are again favorable.

Thanks for the detailed response Win. Seasonal businesses are tough - I get it. It is tough to plan for snowvember like we have had this year. I'm sure you can appreciate as a pass holder - I just want to get as much value out of my passes as possible and have access to all the skiable terrain when the snow is good.

slatham

A 57” storm in November 1997 opened everything. Then I am today everything closed a few days later. The snow we have been letting has a lot more water content and will build a much better base.

I was up visiting relatives for thanksgiving that year. THERE WAS NO SNOW. Nothing! Not even the remnants of a mogul or a drift at the summit. It was too early, too light a snow, and got too warm (obviously). Much different this year, but lets remember the laws of New England weather have not been suspended......

WinS

Based on the snow report, it looks like the next trails for snowmaking are some of the mid and lower ones (Domino Chute, Coffee Run, Lower Jester) instead of Ripcord as mentioned a few days ago. Any insight into the change of plan from Ripcord being next up?

Yes, we turned on Domino, Middle Jester and Lower Organgrinder but only part way down for now. The Temps are very marginal so we are only on Bank One and they will be running wet, but we want to get snow down there as soon as possible so they are groomable and we have another groomed trail top to bottom as soon as possible. We have a curtailable period tomorrow evening so we have to shut down for several hours and the temps may not allow snowmaking again until late Monday and then it looks a lot better. (Ripcord now is also too good to risk snowmaking with marginal temps). According to local meteorologist Saturday is the pick of the week with some funky weather coming in Saturday night into Sunday. But as you know it is too far away to call for certain. A couple of degree and funk turns into flush :)

cdskier

(Ripcord now is also too good to risk snowmaking with marginal temps)

Hah! That thought actually entered my mind that that could be a possible explanation for not touching Ripcord yet.

My goal is to finally start my season next week (Monday) as I start burning up my remaining vacation days at work. Certainly jealous of all the pictures I've seen so far.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice to see the snow gods loving Sugarbush.

I see that neighboring MRG is actively discouraging people from earning turns. I don't recall ever seeing that before.

KustyTheKlown

According to local meteorologist Saturday is the pick of the week with some funky weather coming in Saturday night into Sunday. But as you know it is too far away to call for certain. A couple of degree and funk turns into flush :)

man tell me about it. i've been dying watching this sunday forecase. most recent GFS is trending cooler, but not cool enough yet.

Keelhauled

And lifties are one of the hardest positions on the mountain to fill. Snowmakers make more $, and lifties are the only other staff that have to be outside in the cold all day/night. And being a liftie on a H.S. lift is really boring.
Obviously it doesn't necessarily apply universally across the industry, but in my experience pay is based on tenure/seniority, not job--lifties/snowmakers/groomers/whatever have the same starting pay, but wage growth has a little more room for discretion on the part of the department.

STREETSKIER

Was that hawk ahead of me in the woods? Nope, can’t and doesn’t get much better One reason skiing is so sick is there is no ice or hard bumps it’s flat going up for more today Few more inches last night and some wind. Happy 60th sugarbush

Hawk

Was that hawk ahead of me in the woods? Nope, can’t and doesn’t get much better One reason skiing is so sick is there is no ice or hard bumps it’s flat going up for more today Few more inches last night and some wind. Happy 60th sugarbush

Maybe. I am kind of stealth you know. LOL

tumbler

Hinting at additional terrain for the weekend, will it be the CR lift? Also will they go to weekend hours and open at 8?

WinS

Hinting at additional terrain for the weekend, will it be the CR lift? Also will they go to weekend hours and open at 8?

Yes, Bravo will spin at 8am on Saturday. It is most likely that we will spin Gatehouse and North Lynx in addition to Bravo, HG and the Welcome Mat with hiking over to Castlerock. GH and North Lynx may only last a day since we have not had snow made there and given the Sunday forecast. It is advanced skiing only as it is not groomed and there will be water bars. There is NO bus service between LP and ME so don't expect a pick-up if you head into Slidebrook.

We have a curtailment from GMP this evening so snowmaking will be off for awhile and will resume on Domino, Middle Jester and Lower Organgrinder at LP when we come on until temps rise tomorrow night or Saturday morning. We will likely be able to resume snowmaking on Tuesday after the warm-up coming in Sunday. After we finish the middle of the mountain we will go over to Pushover, Slowpoke and Easy Rider to get all that terrain sustainable and then come back to finish the middle of the Mountain off of Bravo. After that we have Ripcord, Stein's, Lower Snowball and Racer's Edge left and temps will determine where we go first. At ME we will be going up to Rim Run next and we will also need more snow at the top of Inverness for GMVS before moving to complete the rest of the terrain.

benski

That terrain is open already as hike to terrain. Its a nice hike, BTW, you should do it at least once. I suspect Castle rock is the next Lift to open, since otherwise they should have made snow on Pushover instead of Lower Jester. I can't imagine there is enough natural snow for a quad serving 3 natural snow trails and nothing else being a good idea. Gate house's capacity is like 10X Castle rocks, not exaggerating.

bumpcrasher

Yes, Bravo will spin at 8am on Saturday. It is most likely that we will spin Gatehouse and North Lynx in addition to Bravo, HG and the Welcome Mat with hiking over to Castlerock. GH and North Lynx may only last a day since we have not had snow made there and given the Sunday forecast. It is advanced skiing only as it is not groomed and there will be water bars. There is NO bus service between LP and ME so don't expect a pick-up if you head into Slidebrook.

We have a curtailment from GMP this evening so snowmaking will be off for awhile and will resume on Domino, Middle Jester and Lower Organgrinder at LP when we come on until temps rise tomorrow night or Saturday morning. We will likely be able to resume snowmaking on Tuesday after the warm-up coming in Sunday. After we finish the middle of the mountain we will go over to Pushover, Slowpoke and Easy Rider to get all that terrain sustainable and then come back to finish the middle of the Mountain off of Bravo. After that we have Ripcord, Stein's, Lower Snowball and Racer's Edge left and temps will determine where we go first. At ME we will be going up to Rim Run next and we will also need more snow at the top of Inverness for GMVS before moving to complete the rest of the terrain.

VERY much appreciate the updates!! Thank you.

HowieT2

Curious about the GMP curtailment. I had always assumed that it was during periods of high electricity demand or anticipated demand, and that's why we would see them during holiday/vacation weeks. But this is no peak demand period. mid week. temperatures are moderate. Most of the lifts arent running.

tumbler

Good stuff!! Thanks for the update!

MorningWoods

Awesome! Great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djd66

This is awesome! I expect the mountain to be wide open on Saturday with all kinds of choices to ski!

Hawk

Just a word of advice if you plan to park down at slidebrook this weekend. That is an active driveway so please be considerate and do not block the driveway. This has happened in past years and is totally disrespectful of the residents. I cant believe they mentioned this on the snow report. There are going to be so many cars that it will be a total crap show.