• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

Got deep today ,in the early morning you could feel and hear the bottom by 11 it had snowed almost a foot and was quiet pretty busy things got tracked hard but they should fill in nicely tonight .more on the way they say !!winters last gasp ,hit some sweet lines up high today
Little Montana was prime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with your observations on Friday. As the morning went on, things got really good. Three days of epic skiing. So much untracked snow to ski. It felt like a lot of people skipped some of the best lines.

Little Montana? Never heard of that one. Been hearing some new names for the old classics lately. I usually just go by what the old timers call them. It easer that way.

HowieT2

Allyns traverse was roped off seemingly closing hiking/skinning up jester when heavens gate was on wind hold. Noticed this another time recently when hg was on wind hold. Is this new? What’s up with that?

djd66

Glad to hear business was so good for the mountain this weekend! Just curious- why would you close the food service and even the water fountain in the Valley House Lodge? Given how crowded GH lodge is, seems like it would make sense to keep VH open through the end of March on weekends.

mikec142

Super jealous of all who had a great weekend at Sugarbush. After a trip to Utah the week before and a bunch of solo trips to SB this year, I couldn't muster the energy to do the 5.5 hour drive. Going up woulda been fine, but coming back woulda taken it out of me. I still have one quad pack ticket left that may go unused...hoping to get up there over the next two weekends, but having trouble seeing it given all the family commitments. Couldn't even muster up the energy to do a day trip this weekend to Windham or Bellayre. Hate thinking that my season may be done, but it's trending that way given the anticipated weather this coming week/weekend.

I seemed to have really timed my trips to SB well this year. Although I didn't manage to make it for every pow day, the vast majority of the days I spent on the mountain have been in superb conditions.

jaybird

Biggest line that I saw this season was yesterday at the GH hydration station. :grin:

Conditions yesterday (once the jitney was done with the midday exodus) were splendid.
That rock hard base is gonna hold up very well this year.

Congrats Win on the 8500. Big Time !

:thumbup:

machski

I have no issues with Epic or Icon people at all. What that means to me is that many more of my friends that have never come to ski here at Sugarbush now come. It has been awesome to show them around and rip it up. I also did not have any issues at après as usual. If you are a regular and you tip well you get the service. Being loyal to a bartender at the pub pays dividends.
I never understand the philosophy of giving someone that took a specific discount to save money, the added benefits that someone paid full price for. This comes up every year with some of the ME only people, not all thought. These people paid far less then the full pass people so sorry but that is down side. Why do they need a good gesture? Are they being slighted by mother nature with the wind?
Also Machski, no heads up on the Sugarbush trip? Geeze.
I thought about it, but it was a one day last minute decision. Should have. Next year I will hit you up for sure when I head up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

STREETSKIER

I agree with your observations on Friday. As the morning went on, things got really good. Three days of epic skiing. So much untracked snow to ski. It felt like a lot of people skipped some of the best lines.

Little Montana? Never heard of that one. Been hearing some new names for the old classics lately. I usually just go by what the old timers call them. It easer that way.

STREETSKIER

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk I am an old timer. we called a section of woods hit hard by acid rain .20 years ago little Montana it was more open the pines have grown up but still some sweet lines through, you have probably been in I wonder what you call it?Saturday was all time even with the crowds .had an amazing run Down ripcord and so many uncut tree runs Sunday I skipped mtEllen Lincoln peak provided wind buff silk all over I left when it got sticky ,going up tues and Wednesday for corn !! how about the vulva you know that one?
f1c24911253a263ef54642a651bbdee3.jpg
59e40b46a826d7dc8699f7e8092f67c0.jpg
44245115b3c9dda560d993f69c72f19d.jpg

Hawk

I think I might know where that is. Not too many places look like that. Excellent skiing all over Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

WinS

Biggest line that I saw this season was yesterday at the GH hydration station. :grin:

Conditions yesterday (once the jitney was done with the midday exodus) were splendid.
That rock hard base is gonna hold up very well this year.

Congrats Win on the 8500. Big Time !

:thumbup:

Ha! It was a long line. Was at a meeting with all the other Vermont ski area GMs today. Everyone had a fabulous weekend. The Northern ones had the wind on Saturday and everyone had a huge Sunday with overflowing parking lots. This is great for Vermont.

Last edited:

WinS

Glad to hear business was so good for the mountain this weekend! Just curious- why would you close the food service and even the water fountain in the Valley House Lodge? Given how crowded GH lodge is, seems like it would make sense to keep VH open through the end of March on weekends.

Staffing is the issue. We have lost almost all the J-1’s who have returned to school. Their Visa also only allows them to work 90 days. Next year we will be looking for more and adding to our inventory of employee housing. I did notice quite a number of brown baggers using the Blazer Room which helped take some pressure off of the GH.

KustyTheKlown

Ha! It was a long line. Was at a meeting with all the other Vermont ski area GMs today. Everyone had a fabulous weekend. The Northern ones had the wind on Saturday and everyone had a huge Sunday with overflowing parking lots. This is great for Vermont.

i had to park down between k1 and ramshead at killington, but i arrived a bit late, and they had a good chunk of the k-1 lot occupied by the beer fest break-down. parking was crowded but on mountain was a breeze. never waited more than a couple chairs. great weekend. mrg on saturday was gorgeous so i'm sure sb was skiing great.

HowieT2

Staffing is the issue. We have lost almost all the J-1’s who have returned to school. Their Visa also only allows them to work 90 days. Next year we will be looking for more and adding to our inventory of employee housing. I did notice quite a number of brown baggers using the Blazer Room which helped take some pressure off of the GH.

Does the resort provide housing for those kids on the work visas? That’s a great deal. Too bad that visa is only 90 days.

Fwiw-i didn’t think gatehouse lodge was crowded at all on Saturday. Everyone must have been out skiing. A late season storm like that is really a blessing.

cdskier

Fwiw-i didn’t think gatehouse lodge was crowded at all on Saturday. Everyone must have been out skiing. A late season storm like that is really a blessing.

Maybe it depended on what time you went in. I didn't go in GH lodge, but my dad went in for a break mid-morning and said it was nuts.

HowieT2

I want to say it was around 10 or 10:30 that he went in for a break.
Figured out why taking 73 makes more sense for you then me. You come up 87 right? So taking 73 allows you to bypass Rutland on the way to/from 4. I come up the taconic/22/7 and so I have to go through Rutland.

cdskier

Figured out why taking 73 makes more sense for you then me. You come up 87 right? So taking 73 allows you to bypass Rutland on the way to/from 4. I come up the taconic/22/7 and so I have to go through Rutland.

Yup...although oddly enough we actually decided to take 4 to 100 this time. VTrans webcam showed Rt 4 in Mendon clear meanwhile the radar showed possibly more precip further north so thought at the time we were going through that Mendon pass would be the better option to cross to the eastern side of the greens. No idea how Brandon gap actually was at the time, but Rt 4 and 100 all the way up to SB were in great shape when we drove through.

Julius

All I can manage to say is; I'm gonna have a mile long smile from this last snow show for a while.

Last edited: