• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Lostone

Could we have sub-threads? That are only applicable to……..say….to any thread that has 10 pages or more?

I believe that this type of forum doesn't allow sub-threads. The mods can probably answer better.

You always have the option of starting a new thread, from the ski/ride forum. It could say Where, at Sugarbush are you playing... or some such.

But for the moment, we have a mission in the Sugarbush Thread.

There was a question as to whether we would be a larger thread (And they tell me that size does matter. :cry: ) than the Guess the Ski Area thread.

It was started well before we were, but it now has 57 pages and we have 39. :beer:

And it ain't even ski season yet! :p

This is the point where people tell me I need to get a life. :lol:

smootharc

Re: The Maples at Lincoln Peak....

castlerock said:
ski_resort_observer said:
Case in point, a developer starts building some townhouses(Maple something), the one at the corner of Gold Course Rd and the access road, first developement on/near the mountain in 15 years. They go bankrupt, landowner has to take over. Are they completed?
I can't even conceive how the Maples project could have run into any financial difficulty. (financial, not organizational) Between the time that project started and finished, the prices for 3BR condos at/near the mountain increased at least 50%. (Case in point: Castlerock units transacted at $139K in fall'02, $285K fall'05).

If the builder had his/her act together, any bank would float the loan. Any difficulties in that project can't be attributed to the real estate conditions in the valley

There are 18 townhouse units on 6 acres. The initial phase buildings (2 buildings with 4 units each) are built, fully sold, and all closed. It was during the building of these units that a hiccup occured - the general contractor and developer "stopped seeing eye to eye" and a "divorce" occured. It delayed the project, subs walked, and it was in limbo for months. Never was a financial problem, and a settlement was reached.

In the meantime the valley RE prices went up noticeably, and when the project continued with Phase II buildings (2 buildings, 5 units each) the prices of the unsold units had been increased....I believe 7 or 8 of the 10 available. There is currently only one (I believe, or maybe two) units left....interior units in Building C, which is the building along the Access Road and by Paradise Deli.

The construction is being nicely done, and the units should be very nice.

Schusseur

Weather situation?

How about an update. Are we really opening this weekend? Sure hope so, but 68 degrees in November in Connecticut makes me wonder...

Lostone

Love to be able to give a firm answer, but all I can do is guess. :(

My guess is that they'll open. It was 64° up here around 2:30, and now it reads 40°. I'm @ ~ 1600', which is pretty much the base of Lincoln peak.

They didn't (according to reports from civilians checking it out) lose all their snow. And it is supposed to be flirting with 30° from tonight until...?

My guess is that they'll open.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it... for tonight, at least. :wink:

Lostone

I hear ya, and my source for info about this is no better than yours, but I heard that Elbow looked ok, today. If so, Rim Run can't be too much worse. They have two days.

And I have heard Winn and Hardy talking about it a couple times. I think they really want to open.

Will they? Well, on Saturday, one of us will be right. :wink:

Psst.... I'm voting for me. :lol:

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
On second or third thought... the mountain forecast for tomorrow/friday looks different than I expected...

"The higher summits forecast for Vermont and Northern New York:

Thursday: Summits obscured in clouds. Snow showers. highs in the lower to mid 20S. West To southwest winds 25 to 35 mph.
Friday: Summits generally obscured by clouds. Occasional flurries. highs in the 20S. Northwest winds around 40 mph."

Hmm, winds don't bode well for getting snow on the trails though... we'll see...

AHM

All: In regards to conditions, I posted a ski report on Tuesday. There was a significant amount of snow. Elbow skied cherry all the way to the glen house and upper rimmy (off the summit), a spot where wash out has a high potential was blown in in "a glacial style", but nonetheless skied quite well. That said, they would need to lose it all, to be able to not recover. So, I think there is a pretty good chance they'll give it a go. For me: I'll wait 'til its top to bottom. See ya in early Dec...............AHM

mtnlady

News and quesses

Not a guess, but not "news" either, as we still can't say definitely about being able to open Saturday. Plans are full speed ahead, with snowmaking probably already re-started @ ME, and scheduled to start @ LP tonight. Hardy reports that the route, if we open, will be Rim Run to Elbow to Spread Eagle to base of Summitt chair - one way to Glen House, and definitely up- and down-loading on GMX. Food service will be the Green Mtn Lounge in the base lodge, and the Glen House -- no ME cafeteria until Thanksgiving weekend. Opening time on GMX - not sure if 8 or 9AM, suspect 9AM and will ask today.

The decision whether to open Saturday will be finalized Friday afternoon. We hate to ask, but staff is requested to wait before taking runs - too little terrain with deference given to you guys who bought...

The Premature Jibulation (rail jam) is rescheduled for 12/3, during the day.

Regarding the layout of the loading area at base of Village Lift at LP, the question was asked several times at our Guest Service weekend, with response being that the layout has been scrutinized heavily by ski patrol and mtn ops and considered "good". I suspect snow farming in that area will shape it. The issue of the base of the Sunkid competing for space with the loading zone for Village lift - I will bring it up one more time...

Now, for the fun stuff: the way that white castle has been described by the folks who built it, I believe it is for an owner, and is his 2nd residence - not for sale. It resides close to the start of the Sugarbush Woods snowshoe trail on Shady Lane.

And we have had groomer/snowmobile road access through Slide Brook since
the intermountain lift went in - takes off north from the VR, has bridges across Slide Brook and Lockwood Brook. The snowshoe trail we use for Outback Tours takes off from that service road. Should you go exploring, be aware that snowmoes from mtn ops travel through there, so keep you ears tuned and be prepared to step aside - quickly.

The concrete bunkers above Sugarbush Village - my memory fails as I used to know but it was discarded from my system - unimportant and needed the space up there 8) Consequently, I'm embarrassed to ask, but on the other hand, they need to know I'm not as smart as they think I am ... stay tuned.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: News and quesses

mtnlady said:
Not a guess, but not "news" either, as we still can't say definitely about being able to open Saturday. Plans are full speed ahead, with snowmaking probably already re-started @ ME, and scheduled to start @ LP tonight. Hardy reports that the route, if we open, will be Rim Run to Elbow to Spread Eagle to base of Summitt chair - one way to Glen House, and definitely up- and down-loading on GMX.

Sounds like typical preseason route...nice...cheers! :beer:

noski

thetrailboss said:
mtnlady said:
Not a guess, but not "news" either, as we still can't say definitely about being able to open Saturday. Plans are full speed ahead, with snowmaking probably already re-started @ ME, and scheduled to start @ LP tonight. Hardy reports that the route, if we open, will be Rim Run to Elbow to Spread Eagle to base of Summitt chair - one way to Glen House, and definitely up- and down-loading on GMX.

Sounds like typical preseason route...nice...cheers! :beer:
I can confirm that guns were blowing snow on Mt Ellen when I went thru at 6:30 this morning. Also I noted that while we had rain at the "lower" elevation, the ridge line to about 1/3 down was well frosted. Can't say how much is snow and how much was ice, but clearly it was colder there.

Looks like the new SB website is up and running. 1st impression....looks pretty good :D Hope to be skiing up there this weekend. If not....maybe earning my turns!

Tin Woodsman

mtnlady said:
And we have had groomer/snowmobile road access through Slide Brook since
the intermountain lift went in - takes off north from the VR, has bridges across Slide Brook and Lockwood Brook. The snowshoe trail we use for Outback Tours takes off from that service road. Should you go exploring, be aware that snowmoes from mtn ops travel through there, so keep you ears tuned and be prepared to step aside - quickly.
mtnlady -

Allow me to echo the sentiments of others and thank you for passing along the 411. One question regarding your quote above. Where exactly does that road lead to within Slide Brook? Does it eventually intersect with the road used to access the blazed runs for the Outback tours? If so, how far down?

Thanks again.

skibum1321

freeheel_skier said:
Looks like the new SB website is up and running. 1st impression....looks pretty good :D Hope to be skiing up there this weekend. If not....maybe earning my turns!
I hope it's only that slow because they just put it up. It is taking quite a while for pages to load.

Tin Woodsman

Definitely loading too slow. I suppose that's to be expected this early after its launch. The lift and trail report needs some work though b/c it's really confusing. You can't see the diamonds against the black background - shocker - so it's tough to follow the whole flow of that page. Also, there isn't any key to tell us where they are making snow or grooming or what's open and closed.

smootharc

Yup....very slow website.

Not sure if that will change over time....if the design and server set-up are delivering this current performance, I'm not sure why that would change for the better if they don't make changes.

vtskibum

you beat me too it....

Tin Woodsman said:
Definitely loading too slow. I suppose that's to be expected this early after its launch. The lift and trail report needs some work though b/c it's really confusing. You can't see the diamonds against the black background - shocker - so it's tough to follow the whole flow of that page. Also, there isn't any key to tell us where they are making snow or grooming or what's open and closed.

Your keyboard must be faster than mine. While I was gonna say nothing, the more I try to use the new site, the more I have to...

IMHO it is/was not ready for public consumption. First off waaaaaaaaaay slow. Colors on drop down menus make it hard to read text. Trail status chart pretty much sucks. Besides if I am reading it right (lil green o's next to trail name) everything is open now. That said, I think it is a good start but it needs some help.

vtskibum

Re: you beat me too it....

vtskibum said:
Colors on drop down menus make it hard to read text.

I talked to someone else who is seeing the drop downs as white on black. Mine are light blue on green. When I drop down it changes to yellow on gray. Not sure if this is the pilot, the browswer I am using (Mozilla Firefox), or something funky in the website coding. Plenty of time to explore while waiting for the site to change pages :)