• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

Alterra now sets the prices. You will have to wait until next year to see if there is any changes. Snowmaking affects me. That is what I spend my time commenting on.

Regarding pricing with Alterra, my only worry is they do away with the Quad Pack.

tumbler

It's the quad packs that are causing the crowds because people are too smart to pay the walk up price.

WinS

How about these?

- Why does a bowl of soup cast the same as chili? Soup should be marginally less don't you think?
- Can we get a piece of bread when we order a salad?
- Can you add an extra cross piece to the ski racks so that the poles don't fall over at the slightest touch?
- Would it be possible to open (or re-open actually) a connection from Semi-Tough to the area south of the GMVS Poma so it can be skied while racing/training is possible? Come in from S-T below the 1st pitch, exit back to S-T just before the bottom of the poma.
- Why are ticket prices so h-- Wait, never mind...

On a positive note- I have been meaning to tell the powers that be that the splash guards they put in the urinals last year, or maybe the prior year, are much better than what was there before. And you may have thought people don't notice these things.

Oh yeah- is was crowded this last weekend, as it should have been. Parking was a challenge but not impossible. Lift lines were really not an issue. If this is as long as they get, we are spoiled. Was much worse when all chairs were doubles back in the day. Still better than just about any area in southern VT on a regular weekend. I guess it is just such a shock to see a measurable line that people go all nutso about it.

WOW! Thank you so much for noticing the splash guards. That made my day. :beer: How about the new towel dispensers???

AbominableSnowman

WOW! Thank you so much for noticing the splash guards. That made my day. :beer: How about the new towel dispensers???

The non-slip rubber mats on the floors of the bathrooms (well, the men's room at least) were a great addition, too. No one wanted to "lose an edge" on the tile floors....:p

ducky

If anyone cares about actual skiing anymore (vs pricing), the groomer conditions are prime. There is a few inches coming this weekend, not enough to put the trees in play, but a little more snow is always good. Josh Fox's newest post is slightly more optimistic. http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com

Steins skied well after the regroom of the ice.

KustyTheKlown

just received a sugarbush marketing email with subject line "fresh snow at sugarbush resort" and the first block of text in the email itself reading "Over a foot of snow in the past week!". While technically true, seems a bit dishonest to me. it snowed last sat>sun and we've been in a steady high pressure system with increasing temps all week. any fresh snow from last weekend is well tracked out by now and certainly is not "fresh." i'd take less issue if the subject line was "over a foot of snow in the past week" because at least that is literally true. "fresh snow" is not true, and people less in tune to the weather than we are can be easily misled by that

djd66

just received a sugarbush marketing email with subject line "fresh snow at sugarbush resort" and the first block of text in the email itself reading "Over a foot of snow in the past week!". While technically true, seems a bit dishonest to me. it snowed last sat>sun and we've been in a steady high pressure system with increasing temps all week. any fresh snow from last weekend is well tracked out by now and certainly is not "fresh." i'd take less issue if the subject line was "over a foot of snow in the past week" because at least that is literally true. "fresh snow" is not true, and people less in tune to the weather than we are can be easily misled by that

It’s Wednesday, it snowed on Sunday. Given the winter we have had, I have no problem with the email calling the snow fresh snow in the last week. Would it be better if they said over a foot of snow in the last week, but caution, it may be difficult to get fresh tracks? I think most people know what they mean. Quite honestly, Sugarbush normally under reports, from what I can see, they don’t play games with over reporting the snow fall.

flakeydog

Holy sh!t- I knew I forgot something. I did notice that they are better. The waiting 30 seconds for 2 inches of scratchy paper towel to creep out of the dispenser was cutting into my leisure time. These you can grab and run and they work well as tissue. I call the new towel dispensers a success.

Still wondering about the other items like soup etc. 1st world people have 1st world problems you know...

Orca

just received a sugarbush marketing email with subject line "fresh snow at sugarbush resort" ... "fresh snow" is not true, and people less in tune to the weather than we are can be easily misled by that

In the spirit of the recent prevalent condescension, you have to be stupider than buying a ticket at the window if you believe ski area snow reports. ;)

ericfromMA/NH/VT

I'm headed up Sunday and Monday, was hoping someone who skied recently could let me know how the conditions are. Me and my kids stick to the blue trails on both mountains but may try some of the less challenging single diamond trails this time.

We will be skiing both mountains over the two days.

Especially interested in what Murphys glade looks like these days, bumpiness, cover depth etc.

Also, I have never skied Sugarbush on a weekend day, last-minute decision because of the weather made us decide to come up and ski Sunday on a Mount Ellen only ticket. Curious what to expect rthere as far as the lift lines on a Sunday. Jammed, super jammed or you're gonna regret it LOL. I'm expecting pretty long lines because of the weekend day and the weather that day.

One online purchase and one of my quad packs at work!

Thanks all

1dog

I'm headed up Sunday and Monday, was hoping someone who skied recently could let me know how the conditions are. Me and my kids stick to the blue trails on both mountains but may try some of the less challenging single diamond trails this time.

We will be skiing both mountains over the two days.

Especially interested in what Murphys glade looks like these days, bumpiness, cover depth etc.

Also, I have never skied Sugarbush on a weekend day, last-minute decision because of the weather made us decide to come up and ski Sunday on a Mount Ellen only ticket. Curious what to expect rthere as far as the lift lines on a Sunday. Jammed, super jammed or you're gonna regret it LOL. I'm expecting pretty long lines because of the weekend day and the weather that day.

One online purchase and one of my quad packs at work!

Thanks all

While always a crapshoot - Mellen generally has less lines, or none at all. You might start at 8 AM when GMX opens then head to NorthRidge Chair at 9-, but its a non-holiday weekend, there is no football, and snow predicted so chances are a normal to above normal crowds.

Early , then ski 11:30-1 while the sardines pack Walts, you should be fine.

For single blacks on Ellen maybe upper Bravo - then left to lower Exterminator.

Cliffs under GMX and thats about it for North. Let us know how it works.

As for overstating snow - that's not in Bush 18 year tradition - understating is - and we like it - keeps people away ( we selfishly hope).

What happens with Alterra is yet to be determined.

cdskier

Murphys should have fine cover/depth. They just finished making snow on it last weekend. Other than some bumps skier's right where they don't groom, it will be pretty flat. Midweek it isn't groomed every day, but on the weekend it often is frequently freshly groomed each night.

As for crowds this Sunday...well...we need to see what happens with the weather. I'm not particularly optimistic that this is going to be the powder day people were expecting just a few days ago. Right now the latest models are definitely showing some non-snow precip types for a period Saturday night. If that ends up becoming reality, Sunday could be pretty damn well empty.

Generally speaking though, Sundays are much less crowded than Saturday to begin with. (And crowds on a typical Saturday are rarely an issue at ME, so Sunday would be even less of a concern).

CastlerockMRV

Nothing better than skiing right on to the chair and hammering runs on a Sunday at Mellen. If done right (an extra helping of Bravo and Exterminator laps) I feel like I got a full day in by lunch. It's nice to not feel bad about leaving the Valley at a time that makes it possible for me to get home and prepare for the week ahead.

tumbler

I would not recommend Bravo, the rock/ice area is difficult for an intermediate.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

While always a crapshoot - Mellen generally has less lines, or none at all. You might start at 8 AM when GMX opens then head to NorthRidge Chair at 9-, but its a non-holiday weekend, there is no football, and snow predicted so chances are a normal to above normal crowds.

Early , then ski 11:30-1 while the sardines pack Walts, you should be fine.

For single blacks on Ellen maybe upper Bravo - then left to lower Exterminator.

Cliffs under GMX and thats about it for North. Let us know how it works.

As for overstating snow - that's not in Bush 18 year tradition - understating is - and we like it - keeps people away ( we selfishly hope).

What happens with Alterra is yet to be determined.

Thanks, I watch the weather on my own and go by that. last couple days I've been watching the snow totals go down and rain become a possibility sat night, but thats OK, still going to be great to be up there!