• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Slidebrook87

You asked the owner of a mountain every single day exactly why a particular lift isn’t running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is that a bad thing to ask why a lift is shut down? It’s out of curiosity. Also, it’s not every day. It’s whenever a lift that usually runs is closed for an unspecified reason.

rocks860

I can understand if you’re planning on skiing on a given day and you don’t know why a lift isn’t running but it comes off a just incessant badgering and I’m sure win has important stuff to do. Also your tone is rather snarky

jimmywilson69

I'm 21, so I'm a bit older than Slidebrook 87. I was just like him when I was his age. It's a phase we all go through, so please stop the hate.

not hating on anyone but frankly you and him should re-read my last paragraph and take that advice if not for here but in life.

SB87 its annoying because Win has shit to do/. Thankfully he participates in this forum and again thankfully he feels the need to respond. There is literally no one else in his position answering questions as often like he does.

rocks860

not hating on anyone but frankly you and him should re-read my last paragraph and take that advice if not for here but in life.

SB87 its annoying because Win has shit to do/. Thankfully he participates in this forum and again thankfully he feels the need to respond. There is literally no one else in his position answering questions as often like he does.

This

Hawk

Are these skiers really the kind of customers a major resort wants to cater to? I have no objection to frugal ski bum culture or derelict lodges, but I wouldn't expect a major resort to subsidize them by avoiding improvements that have the potential to attract and bring in much greater revenue from less parsimonious skiers.

Dome, who said that the North regulars were subsidized or the owners would avoid improvements because of these people? That wasn't the point. There are some of us that don't want a huge modern glitzy lodge. The lodge does need work but we don't want it homogenized or super high end. Just something that fits with the people, the mountain and the history. And calling the locals and the regulars over there ski bums is not accurate also. There is a lot of people jumping to conclusions here saying that the North crowd does not like the day ticket people or the people that usually ski south, that is also not true. In fact on here there are several that always say it was better at north and you should come over there and ski. But there has to be a balance over there that is all I am saying.

MEtoVTSkier

How is that a bad thing to ask why a lift is shut down? It’s out of curiosity. Also, it’s not every day. It’s whenever a lift that usually runs is closed for an unspecified reason.

Snarky with a capitol S. Complaints to Praise ratio is extremely skewed. Ask/complain about issues when you aren't even there/going to be there?? Really? Tell us the truth, you're Home-schooled and Mommy left the room so you're screwing off instead of doing your schoolwork, right? ;-)

:lol::lol::lol:

tumbler

Maybe Dad can buy Haystack for him and he can put his mountain ops expertise to use.

Boxtop Willie

And speaking of a crowded Mt Ellen lodge. Could be a bit cozy this weekend, SB is hosting the U14 Eastern Championships. Lot's o' race parents lounging inside between runs. It's always a great event, with some unbelievable skiers, but it it's cold, clouding and icy, they don't go out much.

Domeskier

Dome, who said that the North regulars were subsidized or the owners would avoid improvements because of these people? That wasn't the point. There are some of us that don't want a huge modern glitzy lodge. The lodge does need work but we don't want it homogenized or super high end. Just something that fits with the people, the mountain and the history. And calling the locals and the regulars over there ski bums is not accurate also. There is a lot of people jumping to conclusions here saying that the North crowd does not like the day ticket people or the people that usually ski south, that is also not true. In fact on here there are several that always say it was better at north and you should come over there and ski. But there has to be a balance over there that is all I am saying.

I think it's fine that you and others want SB to keep ME the way it is. I would happily trade luxurious base lodges for uncrowded slopes and limited lift lines. My point is that preserving this type of experience has its opportunity costs and the SB probably doesn't have to worry too much about the economic impact of changing the culture if ME attracts the type of skiers you described in the post I quoted. Another poster suggested that developing ME would just shift more SB South skiers without creating a net gain on investment. That seems like wishful thinking in light of the crowds that SB South and Stowe attract. Most of the arguments for preserving the character of ME are from the skier's perspective. What is needed is a persuasive argument that it's in SB's economic interest to preserve ME's culture.

djd66

Does anyone know deadline you have to purchase the Ikon Pass to get the biggest discount?

KustyTheKlown

lol have the actual ski the east guys been lurking here for a year and just decided to post for the first time to answer a random ikon pass question?

SkiTheEast

lol have the actual ski the east guys been lurking here for a year and just decided to post for the first time to answer a random ikon pass question?

Lol, nope, no affiliation, just a long time lurker. Was surprised to see name available when I signed up and just never got around to changing it, since I obviously am not an active poster...not trying to misrepresent.

WinS

Today it turned out a rodent chewed through a wire! This happens occasionally. Try problem solving that one! I am very proud of the lift team we have.

Tonyr

I don't disagree with that, especially having lived there from the majority of 95 to 05 and knowing the culture of the town / mountain. I disagree with the scale. I would have been fine with something on the scale of Claybrook. The monstrosity built at Spruce could've been denied along with blowing up the side of the mountain to put in a golf course. Much of this required swapping land with the state park system.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

The problem with a hotel at the scale of the Claybrook is that there isn't enough regular sized hotel rooms to fill the demand for slopeside lodging. I don't know if you've ever tried staying at the Claybrook or not but they have very few hotel style rooms, if you want to stay there more times than not you have to book a 1,2,or 3 bedroom suite which costs substantially more than a regular hotel room. The Claybrook also requires a 4 or 5 night minimum stay during peak season every time I've tried to book there.

Spruce Peak is very large but on the other hand has plenty of rooms. During MLK week (Monday thru Thursday) they had standard rooms going for around $200 per night with no minimum stay requirement. The Claybrook's standard rooms during that time where 2 or 3 times that price assuming that you could even get one. I've also never had a hard time getting a seat for lunch at Spruce Peak.

Other than the skating rink at Stowe both Spruce and Lincoln Peak villages have a very similar posh feel to me. Saying that the Spruce Peak development ruined the ski resort and should "F" themselves but the Claybrook/Lincoln Peak development is fine because of its scale sounds incredibly silly to me. Isn't Sugarbush trying to add more slopeside lodging to Lincoln Peak anyway?

crippity

Never had a hard time getting a seat at spruce peak? you must be kidding (unless you are talking midweek which then all bets are off for all of this), ive been stowe 15-20 days a year since it was built. that layout and trying to get a table in the middle of that cluster is the dumbest set up i have ever seen. Full disclosure i hang on the other side :) but have witnessed enough guests trying to spend their 100 dollar lunch there.