• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

We will not be opening this Saturday as planned!............................Instead, we will open on Friday, 11/16 for all passholders and then on Saturday for everyone. On Friday, we will run the Valley lift and have skiing and riding on Upper Snowball and Spring Fling just like last year. As we will be blowing right through tomorrow we will not groom so it is for advanced skiing only Friday. On Saturday, we potentially could have more upper mountain terrain ready to go and we have been blowing on Valley Traverse to make it top to bottom hopefully. Will update more tomorrow. I plan to catch first chair on Friday and hope to see a lot of you here this weekend. CRP and Gatehouse cafeteria are what will be open during the day as well as Rumble’s for breakfast and dinner.

Last edited:

tumbler

you mean 11/16?

And Valley House. Must have been too excited when typing. Wish I could be there this weekend but got to wrap up the chores before the season starts and everything gets neglected for 5 months.

Zand

I was gonna say...that post seems quite upbeat if he really means they're delaying opening by 9 days and only the Village Lift will be available :D

cdskier

Very nice for those that can take advantage! Like tumbler I have things to finish up here at home before I can get my season started.

crazy

Win, I love that you are contributing to this thread! I've only skied at Sugarbush once before, but now that I have the Ikon pass I am definitely going to take advantage of the Sugarbush days 8) hopefully with some friends.

slatham

We will not be opening this Saturday as planned!............................Instead, we will open on Friday, 11/16 for all passholders and then on Saturday for everyone. On Friday, we will run the Valley lift and have skiing and riding on Upper Snowball and Spring Fling just like last year. As we will be blowing right through tomorrow we will not groom so it is for advanced skiing only Friday. On Saturday, we potentially could have more upper mountain terrain ready to go and we have been blowing on Valley Traverse to make it top to bottom hopefully. Will update more tomorrow. I plan to catch first chair on Friday and hope to see a lot of you here this weekend. CRP and Gatehouse cafeteria are what will be open during the day as well as Rumble’s for breakfast and dinner.

It’s great that you got the temps and snow to do this, and of course the “lets ski” attitude!

WinS

Win, I love that you are contributing to this thread! I've only skied at Sugarbush once before, but now that I have the Ikon pass I am definitely going to take advantage of the Sugarbush days 8) hopefully with some friends.

We look forward to seeing you and your friends. :)

rtjcbrown

A question for Win: Is there a project that was proposed, but never completed, that you wish had been done? This can be anything over the previous 60 years that never was done, whether it be because of permitting, finances, poor management, or any other reason.
I would have loved to see the Slide Brook master plan from late 70s come to fruition, or perhaps the connection of Mt. Ellen to Mad River Glen.

cdskier

Are there a few errors on the trail report on the website? Snowball, Coffee Run, HG Traverse, Lower Jester, Header, and Reverse Traverse all are showing as black diamonds at the moment.

slatham

Are there a few errors on the trail report on the website? Snowball, Coffee Run, HG Traverse, Lower Jester, Header, and Reverse Traverse all are showing as black diamonds at the moment.

Maybe because everything that is opened is ungroomed and not for the faint of heart?

Though the written report this am made no mention of Coffee/Traverse/LJ etc....

But looking at CAM there are definitely people coming down Coffee Run so they must have dropped some ropes!

Yup update report:

Valley House Quad is scheduled to run 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM, serving ungroomed, advanced terrain on Snowball, Spring Fling, Steins, The Mall, Twist, Lower Twist, Moonshine, and Coffee Run.

cdskier

Maybe because everything that is opened is ungroomed and not for the faint of heart?

That would be a first if they are dynamically updating trail ratings on the trail report based on conditions. The thought did enter my mind, but wouldn't explain trails like HG Traverse, Lower Jester, Header, and Reverse Traverse being "upgraded" in difficulty when they aren't even open. Plus you have open ungroomed trails like Moonshine still listed as a blue square on the report. I'm more inclined to think it is an error.

Also of note, many (or maybe all) of those same trails I mentioned were listed as diamonds on the iPhone app days ago but now I'm not sure whether I ever double-checked the ratings on the website before now after noticing the iPhone app showing upgraded difficulty ratings on numerous trails. The iPhone app also shows snowmaking active on quite a few trails (including ones with no snowmaking capabilities like Domino and Cat's Meow). I think something is not quite right with the trail report.

PS - awesome that they dropped the ropes on a number of trails with only natural snow already.

Zand

If they "accidentally" open Castlerock Connection I might accidentally start driving there.

WinS

Yes. Some computer glitch. Not sure where it is pulling from. Working on fixing it.

WinS

We have moved snowmaking to Upper Jester and Downspout. We want to get these open as soon as possible because Riocord, Organgrinder and Spillsville will be openable. They still need more depth because of the water bars but will open as soon as Patrol feels they are ready. Should be a fun day tomorrow. Thanks to all who came out for a really great opening day.

benski

The snowmaking trails are more challenging without the deep snow on them due to water bars. Natural snow trails lack this problem and can safely open once the ground is mostly covered in snow.