• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

bdfreetuna

(dead horse) :smash:

thinking about it for Wednesday though Ducky, leaning more towards it after your recommendation. I was thinking do VT Friday on the way home from NH but I think Wednesday should be the nicer conditions

MorningWoods

How old is the GMX lift? I could have sworn I rode the old super slow lift that terminated between slide brook and north ridge around 2000. The Poma website says it was installed in 1990 and the first 1100 ft per minute chair. I think that’s wrong.

40d5f0ff73db9b4fd260c0b8c79c44c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tumbler

How old is the GMX lift? I could have sworn I rode the old super slow lift that terminated between slide brook and north ridge around 2000. The Poma website says it was installed in 1990 and the first 1100 ft per minute chair. I think that’s wrong.

40d5f0ff73db9b4fd260c0b8c79c44c0.jpg

That was the first GMX that is now Northridge. It was moved when ASC put Slide Brook in and moved GMX to Northridge and installed the "Slug" from the base area to bottom of Northridge and Slide Brook. Win's group installed GMX 2.0.

cdskier

Technically it is not wrong, however that also is not the current GMX. The 1990 GMX was moved to North Ridge in 1995. The current GMX was installed in 2002. From 1995 to 2001 you had the slow fixed grip Green Mountain quad.

PearlRiverDad

Sugarbush for groomers?????? Let me know

(dead horse) :smash:

thinking about it for Wednesday though Ducky, leaning more towards it after your recommendation. I was thinking do VT Friday on the way home from NH but I think Wednesday should be the nicer conditions

Hi All

I am thinking of playing hookie with my son and skiing at Sugarbush on Friday. I am an intermediate skier and prefer long winding groomers.........Is this a good place for that? If not - What's a better option in VT? We live near the Catskills - but based on recent weather we want to head north for better snow

flakeydog

Technically it is not wrong, however that also is not the current GMX. The 1990 GMX was moved to North Ridge in 1995. The current GMX was installed in 2002. From 1995 to 2001 you had the slow fixed grip Green Mountain quad.

If you are feeling nostalgic, you can still ride the "slug" up at Jay- now the Metro quad. Still a slow ride to nowhere though.

BenedictGomez

Hi All

I am an intermediate skier and prefer long winding groomers.........Is this a good place for that? If not - What's a better option in VT? We live near the Catskills - but based on recent weather we want to head north for better snow

I'd suggest Sugarbush & Stowe are the best spots for intermediate, "long winding groomers" in Vermont. I'd personally go with Stowe #1 for that, but you'll love Sugarbush too if that's what you're after.

drjeff

I'd suggest Sugarbush & Stowe are the best spots for intermediate, "long winding groomers" in Vermont. I'd personally go with Stowe #1 for that, but you'll love Sugarbush too if that's what you're after.

Really can't go wrong with those 2 choices for what the OP is looking for.

Heck, if it's an option for the OP, just stay in Waterbury and hit both of them up

MorningWoods

Hi All

I am thinking of playing hookie with my son and skiing at Sugarbush on Friday. I am an intermediate skier and prefer long winding groomers.........Is this a good place for that? If not - What's a better option in VT? We live near the Catskills - but based on recent weather we want to head north for better snow

Usually when we have visitors looking for that we head to Mount Ellen @ Sugarbush. You can definitely hit both mountains in one day without an issue though. Maybe you’ll get lucky and the slidebrook lift will open up. It’s got to be getting close. Makes it just a little easier to get between mountains.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Skied Mount Ellen on Sunday and Lincoln Peak Monday. Awesome conditions both days, although visibility at the peaks was a bit limited but doable. We skied pretty much all the blues on both mountains, only Got on lower organ grinder and water fall and sleeper chutes for diamond trails. They easily got 7 inches of snow between Sunday and Monday, both days were what I would call powder days. It snowed most of the day Sunday. rim run, Jester, and the harder blues like Snowball, moonshine and spring fling were awesome. Which way and Joe's cruiser were so silky smooth Sunday morning it was unreal.

walts trail and lower domino were a little thin in a few spots between the bumps but otherwise great. Murphy's was left umgroomed for Monday, it was bumps covered in powder..

If you were a strong intermediate skier like me and my kids looking to do all the blues and get some good practice in the bumps in great conditions Sunday and Monday were the days to be there.

Best of all I never waited in a line at all either day.

I can't speak to the conditions of the woods or the harder diamonds as we did not do them.

Last two days truly spoiled me. I've done 10 trips this year to four different Mountains including Bretton Woods during winter storm gage over New Year's and these are the best two days I've had by far. I'll be back one more time by the end of the year, if it's half as good I'll be happy.

Last edited:

mikec142

Skied Mount Ellen on Sunday and Lincoln Peak Monday. Awesome conditions both days, although visibility at the peaks was a bit limited but doable. We skied pretty much all the blues on both mountains, only Got on lower organ grinder and water fall and sleeper chutes for diamond trails. They easily got 7 inches of snow between Sunday and Monday, both days were what I would call powder days. It snowed most of the day Sunday. rim run, Jester, and the harder blues like Snowball, moonshine and spring fling were awesome. Which way and Joe's cruiser were so silky smooth Sunday morning it was unreal.

walts trail and lower domino were a little thin in a few spots between the bumps but otherwise great. Murphy's was left umgroomed for Monday, it was bumps covered in powder..

If you were a strong intermediate skier like me and my kids looking to do all the blues and get some good practice in the bumps in great conditions Sunday and Monday were the days to be there.

Best of all I never waited in a line at all either day.

I can't speak to the conditions of the woods or the harder diamonds as we did not do them.

Last two days truly spoiled me. I've done 10 trips this year to four different Mounds including Bretton Woods during winter storm gauge over New Year's and these are the best two days I've had by far. I'll be back one more time by the end of the year, if it's half as good I'll be happy.

Love hearing this! Glad you enjoyed.

djd66

Usually when we have visitors looking for that we head to Mount Ellen @ Sugarbush. You can definitely hit both mountains in one day without an issue though. Maybe you’ll get lucky and the slidebrook lift will open up. It’s got to be getting close. Makes it just a little easier to get between mountains.

Speaking of Slidebrook,... what ever happened to "Slidebrook87"? I kind of miss him and all the excitement he brought to the forum! :lol:

dustyroads

Win,
My question is probably not so cut and dry, but is it possible to give maximum wind speeds and wind directions for Bravo, Heaven's Gate, and North Ridge before they shut down?

Hawk

Speaking of Slidebrook,... what ever happened to "Slidebrook87"? I kind of miss him and all the excitement he brought to the forum! :lol:

Back on 12/29 he went on another rant about the Slidebrook lift and people including myself started calling him out. That when he hit us with that Poetry and then disappeared. Prior to that, I took a guess and told him to have his father sell his Claybrook unit and move to North. I get the feeling I was not far off.