• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

kbird

Thanks CDSkier!

I know this will sound super noobbish, but does SB rent pow skis? I oogled it and even looked up their "list", but no mention of anything pow rocker specific. I only own 2 pair of TT Lines and those are skiny traditional camber skis.

Last edited:

cdskier

I don't know what their current demo fleet consists of, but in the past I know they had the Volkl Mantra as one of their demo choices at the on-mountain shop. Then there's always numerous other shops in the area that demo skis as well (if you need recommendations on those other shops, go back several pages in this thread as we discussed it not too long ago).

benski

Thanks CDSkier!

I know this will sound super noobbish, but does SB rent pow skis? I oogled it and even looked up their "list", but no mention of anything pow rocker specific. I only own 2 pair of TT Lines and those are skiny tradition camber skis.

Mountainside ski shop is within walking distance of the ski area, Alpine Options and VT North are on the access road.

kbird

Cool thanks guys, good to know!

Unless it's super deep in the woods, I probably won't need to bother. Almost bought a pair of Soul 7's to take with me, but with all the thaw/freeze cycles I couldn't justify it after all that.

rocks860

I know infinite demoed a bunch of different skis but that was a few years ago and before they moved. I demoed some fatter libertys from them a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KD7000

IMG_20170129_112315120.jpgGoofing around in the woods off Inverness lift. Either Semi-tough or Brambles, can't remember which. Sooooo much good snow in the woods.

Last edited:

kbird

Diggin' that 1st shot KD7000! :beer:

I may just reconsider skipping semi and brambles if the base is typically good around inverness.

Duncanator24

I heard someone talking about this this weekend, how do you get to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah, neato thats a fun name. You just go down Birch and make a right. There are a few openings into the trees. You gotta go down a bit though to make sure you don't end up in the chute heading towards castle rock (that probably has a name too). Although that was a fun section too once I realized I wasn't heading down the wrong side of the mountain into an abyss.

benski

Hah, neato thats a fun name. You just go down Birch and make a right. There are a few openings into the trees. You gotta go down a bit though to make sure you don't end up in the chute heading towards castle rock (that probably has a name too). Although that was a fun section too once I realized I wasn't heading down the wrong side of the mountain into an abyss.

The one toward Castlerock is called the Emerald forrest.

rtjcbrown

I haven't been to Mt Ellen in a while. Just a curiosity question: If you were trying to lap runs like Brambles, Semi-Tough, Inverness, and Walts, would it be quicker to use the slow Inverness chair, or take the longer, but quicker GMX and then Northway over to the Inverness area? I can't remember if you are skiing or traversing/poling/skating on Northway.

WWF-VT

I haven't been to Mt Ellen in a while. Just a curiosity question: If you were trying to lap runs like Brambles, Semi-Tough, Inverness, and Walts, would it be quicker to use the slow Inverness chair, or take the longer, but quicker GMX and then Northway over to the Inverness area? I can't remember if you are skiing or traversing/poling/skating on Northway.

Before the Inverness chair runs at 9 AM take the Northway traverse. It’s an easy glide with minimal skating required. If GMVS has both Inverness and Brambles in use for training / races you can always ski Walts and Semi Tough from the Inverness chair.

rtjcbrown

[QUOTE=WWF

Thank you, but I meant on a weekend, and both chairs are open, GMVS is not using it, and lines are equal.

WWF-VT

Thank you, but I meant on a weekend, and both chairs are open, GMVS is not using it, and lines are equal.

What’s a line at the GMX or Inverness chair? Both are practically ski on - even on the weekends. Take the Inverness chair if it’s running – it takes less energy to go down the mountain than across it.

I did the Northway today. It was packed down and I think I poled three times. Semi Tough Woods was pretty much untouched and there was fresh corduroy on Brambles at 2:30 PM.

cdskier

Inverness for sure. And those trials and neighboring woods are such great terrain and underused IMO.

Completely agree...on all counts. The first time I ever skied Walts 12 or 13 years ago I said "wow, this is one of the coolest green trails I've ever skied".

bushpilot

Completely agree...on all counts. The first time I ever skied Walts 12 or 13 years ago I said "wow, this is one of the coolest green trails I've ever skied".

My son and I LOVE Walt's trail!

Skied paradise yesterday and it was EPIC! The snow is so much deeper than you would expect.