• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Lostone

If I told you once I told you a thousand times, young lady... Don't exagerate... :oops:

No... That ain't wat I told you. It was don't pull Lostones! :blink:

Oh... :oops: Ok, so I didn't tell you that either?

Uh... :oops: I'll go sit quietly in the corner, then. :dunce:

:lol:

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Just noting, there is a new lift/trail report format, much like the old one, but it appears to be the same data as existed last year - no sign of new trails yet, and the Beginner's Poma is still listed.

Still wondering what the motivation for adding the "new" trails was... Cat's Meow's sort of a dangerous dead-end in my opinion, and how many people are really going to hike over to Snowflake? Maybe it can be used as a beginner area like I've been proposing for quite some time... seems like it might've been a good idea to take the now-removed Poma from South and put it there, no?

Lostone

I saw Cat's Meow (Or what I think is it) while hiking one day. That is a neat little trail! Sorry they put it on the map as I'd planned it for one of those powder day leftovers. :cry:

Be interesting to see how they bring it back to Spring Fling. :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Strat said:
Maybe it can be used as a beginner area like I've been proposing for quite some time... seems like it might've been a good idea to take the now-removed Poma from South and put it there, no?

I nominate Strat as Jr Manager at SB. :beer:

Seriously, I recall you mentioning these ideas at the challenge and was like, "yeah, that makes sense to me." IMHO Ellen has more potential right now than Lincoln Mess. That beginner area with the park is just waiting to be redeveloped and has some decent terrain.

Everytime I ski Lower FIS through that ghost area, I get :( and wonder why it is being put to waste.

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
thetrailboss said:
Strat said:
Maybe it can be used as a beginner area like I've been proposing for quite some time... seems like it might've been a good idea to take the now-removed Poma from South and put it there, no?

I nominate Strat as Jr Manager at SB. :beer:

Seriously, I recall you mentioning these ideas at the challenge and was like, "yeah, that makes sense to me." IMHO Ellen has more potential right now than Lincoln Mess. That beginner area with the park is just waiting to be redeveloped and has some decent terrain.

Everytime I ski Lower FIS through that ghost area, I get :( and wonder why it is being put to waste.
What can I say, I'm a logical guy with a passion...

Lostone: Cat's Meow is the trail that offshoots from the top of Racer's Edge and terminates at the edge of the parking lot at the upper row of Snow Creek condos... I say "terminate" because that's what it does. It just ends, with a very steep dropoff of a rock wall into the parking lot. Wondering as well how they're going to make that trail usable...

Lostone

Yep! That's the trail I thought it was.

Wandered into there on a hike a few weeks ago. I'd never seen that before. In my mind, I saw it with a lot of almost untouched powder. :)

At the end, if you hang to the left, there is a bridge that leads you back to Spring Fling. Looks a little close for skier traffic, but we'll see next weekday powder day. :wink:

As for the beginners' poma, I think they've decided (And I'm sure they're right!) that pomas and beginners don't go well together. Especially when it is a beginner on a board.

As for what with Snowflake... I've used it for years. :wink: See the above conversation on Cat's Meow. :wink:

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Lostone said:
Yep! That's the trail I thought it was.

Wandered into there on a hike a few weeks ago. I'd never seen that before. In my mind, I saw it with a lot of almost untouched powder. :)

At the end, if you hang to the left, there is a bridge that leads you back to Spring Fling. Looks a little close for skier traffic, but we'll see next weekday powder day. :wink:

As for the beginners' poma, I think they've decided (And I'm sure they're right!) that pomas and beginners don't go well together. Especially when it is a beginner on a board.

As for what with Snowflake... I've used it for years. :wink: See the above conversation on Cat's Meow. :wink:
Haven't seen the bridge in my journeys around there, but it sounds like some sort of fix... seems like it may get icy fast, but not too many people will use the trail anyway, except for pow 8)

I've done the same with Snowflake, just wondering if they plan to utilize it for beginner terrain or anything... if not, it seems like they could've left it off the map...

So I've been wondering the past few days how the trailcount is still 111, even with the new additions... and the answer is... *drumroll please*...

No more Zip or Spread Eagle. At least, they're off the trail map. Can't believe Sugarbush would take our beloved 50 footers off the map... *sob*... :wink:

Wonder what they're going to do with the signs... I'll gladly take them off their hands...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lostone said:
:eek: WHAT??? :eek:

:eek: No more Zip??? :eek:

How could they do that to me???

:angry: Where's my lawyer? :angry:

:cry: Where am I to ski now? :cry:

:wink:

BLASPHEMY!!! No Zip??? That was the best run on the entire mountain! Remember what we say...size doesn't matter :lol:

Anyways...I noticed that the last few seasons SB has been actually knocking down the trail count by taking glades, etc off the list. That was the only thing I noticed at the Ski Show last season...fewer trails for more money! :lol: :eek:

Old Geezer

New website and former offsite ticket sales link?

This url used to have a list of places to but lift tickets offsite: http://www.sugarbush.com/winter/tickets/offsite.htm

But with the new website it appears to be a dead link. Does anybody know where that list is on the new website? I used the search function, but all it returned was a page to "Sign up for any one of our email updates and become..."

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com

Old Geezer

Thanks t.trailboss.

Since everyone is in such a welcoming mood, another question. What are the chances of having more trails open on ME, such as from the summit down to the base of the North Ridge Quad? I'm looking for insights based on past experience of how fast things open up, as well as on actual snow making and weather conditions.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Old Geezer said:
Thanks t.trailboss.

Since everyone is in such a welcoming mood, another question. What are the chances of having more trails open on ME, such as from the summit down to the base of the North Ridge Quad? I'm looking for insights based on past experience of how fast things open up, as well as on actual snow making and weather conditions.

It all depends...really does. They usually try to push to get it down to N Ridge Express usually by the holiday and even down Straight Shot to the base. In 2002 they were really rocking over there...lots of trails...but we had a lot of snow that season :roll: Can anyone who was up there this weekend confirm as to what is being done? Lostone? Strat? riverc0il?

At any rate, the Mt Ellen summit area is decent for pre-season and post-season skiing....