• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

Yes all good responses. exit 9 is safest with wider roads, all paved and less sharp corners. Exit 4 and 5 are the quickest and as much as 10 to 15 minutes faster. I usually do not do exit 4 because inevitably you get caught behind someone going real slow and it is a longer stretch from 89 to Roxbury. I also like driving the gap. It is fun and the view at the top is the best.

tumbler

When the gap is too muddy or closed take exit 3 to Bethel mountain road to 100. All paved and perhaps the mellowest gap ever.

prsboogie

Thanks for the responses - I'm assuming that tomorrow will not be too muddy in the am so I will likely to exit 4.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
I do exit 3 or 9. Mostly 9 because you don't have as much state highway to potentially get stuck behind a slowpoke. The 10-15 minutes time savings on the other routes isn't worth the added wear and tear on my vehicles from those crappy roads.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

jaybird

The potholes and speed bumps are particularly nasty last 2 weeks. This makes it quite adventurous when passing on Rt 100.
Land Rover rollover in Granville last week was pretty ugly. The guy had gone by us doing about 80. Be sensible :smash:

.. anyone doing the 5 hour drive to ski boilerplate has got way worse than the 'itch' that DHS describes .. that's a rash .. call a dermo guy !

KustyTheKlown

i drive 4 hours at a minimum, in each direction, every weekend from november to late april, except for the occasional weekend of garbage weather or family/friends obligations. it's just a very accepted part of my life. i love living in brooklyn. its where my people are, its close to my job, my family is around, the food and culture are unmatced. unless and until i can have my career and my girlfriend can have her career closer to the mountains, this is my situation and i'm ok with it.

i definitely drive 5 hours for boilerplate in november and early december. i'm less keen to do it mid-season. but early season i just want to ski as much as possible.

this weekend is smuggs>rutland hotel>magic. im leaving brooklyn at 3 AM tonight. is what it is.

cdskier

Excellent (and busy) weekend at Sugarbush this past weekend. I drove up Thursday night and skied Friday-Sunday. I actually thought Lincoln Peak was skiing better than Mt Ellen. At Ellen everything seemed a bit firmer and even the woods I was in seemed a bit more tracked out. Semi-tough bumps on Saturday were getting pretty big for that trail and I guess Mtn Ops agreed as I saw it listed on the grooming scheduled for Saturday night. Quite busy even at ME on Saturday. GMX and NRX were both ski on from 8-10. At that point I headed over to Inverness for a few runs on Walts, Semi-Tough, and Semi-Tough Woods. Went back over to NRX around 11:30 and the line was to the end of the gates (still only about a 5 minute wait...but pretty crowded by ME standards). Decided to take a run down Lower FIS to escape the crowds. Seems a lot of others had that same idea too as I've never seen so many people on that trail (and I heard numerous other people on the trail saying the same thing whenever I stopped).

On Friday I skied Paradise for the first time in several weeks. Did the top entrance flatten itself out naturally or was it "helped" at some point? I couldn't believe how flat and bump-less it was. That's such a fun and beautiful trail when conditions are good.

WWF-VT

100% sunshine and a great day at Mt Ellen on Saturday. It was a treat to ski a groomed Semi-Tough on Sunday. Skied at Lincoln Peak this morning with 2-4" + of new snow after Heavens Gate and North Lynx were on wind hold Sunday. Ripcord was the ROTD with a few creamy inches of fresh snow and everything off North Lyx was fun.

jaybird

Yikes .. those lines looked long on the webcam all day Saturday ..

Thanks for today's intel. :thumbup:
Planning to leverage that Tues and Weds
Hoping the March Lion decides to make a visit ..

TSQURD

Win - Your team has done a nice job of eliminating the sea of skis left in front of Valley House & ME lodges. Thanks!

Julius

Win - Your team has done a nice job of eliminating the sea of skis left in front of Valley House & ME lodges. Thanks!

I'll second that.. Thanked the staff for going around and picking up all the skis at VH and placing them in their proper place over the wknd as its been a cluster fart coming outta the mall/coffee run and to have to jimmy up around/through that mess.

Today (Monday) was a nice refresh with at least 3-4 inches. Many lifts were on wind hold for good reason but the lower woods filled in nicely. Snowed all day.

Last edited: